Policy based routing torguard vpn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Rzez
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 21:06    Post subject: Policy based routing torguard vpn Reply with quote
Hi all.

I'm sure this has been answered millions of times before but I'm starting to go insane looking for definitive answers. So here's to you guys for help.

I currently have a dedicated VPN via torguard which I wish to use on my router for several devices but not all the time.

I currently have a virgin media superhub 3 in modem mode hard wired to my linksys wrt1900acs V2 with kong DD wrt flashed on it.

Now I'm yet to put the VPN on the router as I was hoping to use the standard WiFi networks for my normal ip address and then use a virtual network for the VPN so I could connect devices on the VPN network and back to the normal network by simply changing the WiFi connection on a device.
Torguard have now told me this isn't possible and to double nat would be a bad idea as there would be too many problems with speed and errors.

So onto policy based routing...
Please correct me if I'm wrong as I'm learning.
With this I'd set up open VPN on the router with my own dedicated VPN and be able to determine which devices connect to the VPN and which ones don't.
Is it also possible to have a device connect to the normal ip but when a certain program wants access it routes only that programs internet stream through the VPN. For example. Windows 10 pc hard wired to router Firefox etc goes through normal ip but VLC media player and qtorrent goes through VPN.
Or is this asking too much? I understand I cAn do this on the computer with open VPN software by connecting and disconnecting but Its all a bit too confusing for my gf when we want to watch IPTV or other things...

Also Is there a really stupid idiot's guide to doing all this?

Thanks
Mike
Sponsor
spuriousoffspring
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
To answer your question about Policy Based Routing first:
One ip address per line followed by netmask. Only that device will go through the VPN tunnel.
Example: xxx.xxx.x.xx/xx

I don't think it's going to be possible to specify what program uses the PBR. However, I have seen some amazing custom scripts written by people way smarter than me.
Always makes me wish I had spent some time with Linux over the years instead of just Windows & Mac.

Your best bet would be to post this in the Advanced Networking Forum.

Good luck!

WRT32X DD-WRT Installation Procedure
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=315569

IPVanish OpenVPN Client Setup TUTORIAL
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=308565

FIRMWARE: OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r8217-2cc821e / LuCI Master (git-18.276.41146-280dd33)
MODEM: ARRIS SURFBoard SB8200
ROUTER: Linksys WRT32X
USB NAS: Western Digital BLACK 1 TB Hardrive + Startech USB 3.0 External SATA III Enclosure
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: