Flashing a new Linksys WRT3200ACM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
allnamesaretaken
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just wasted a whole day of my life, so I find it important to share this information. My router is a WRT3200acm with a Marvell ARM inside. I just wasted a day, because DD-WRT is simply incompatible with the hardware. After reading quite a lot of user complaints stretching from 2016 untill 2020, I'm doubt it will ever be.

Here is what I experienced:

When wireless worked, my internet connection would be around 3 times faster than with the original firmware
    The wireless network crashed on almost each change made in DD-WRT.
    If the router would not crash, nothing would be applied until after the next reboot.
    The router crashed every 12 hours completely (some DHCP lease?). Reset required.
    WiFi changes would need multiple reboots before it worked.

After a day of struggling and querying DuckDuckGo for a solution, I stubled over this page: https://samhobbs.co.uk/2013/11/switch-from-dd-wrt-to-openwrt-in-under-30-minutes. I also read somewhere, that the original LinkSys firmware for WRT3200ACM is based on OpenWRT. Being very frustrated with my new Linksys router, I decided to give it a try.

Here is the result:

I has now been running for two days without any issues and optimal speed.

My recommendation: Don't install DD-WRT on the Linksys WRT3200acm! If you want to use DD-WRT, buy another router. If you want to use the WRT3200acm, OpenWRT is a good alternative.

I hope this helps someone somewhere.
Sponsor
leonidas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, I had the same experience: WRT3200ACM with OpenWRT is much more stable.
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: