PROBLEMS WITH UPGRADE/DOWNGRADE from build 33375 (SOLVED)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
rafalB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:53    Post subject: Going to revert back to stock firmware and then someting els Reply with quote
As I can read some people are having their routers bricked even when following procedure. Some (like me) are in different status not able to run the command cat factory-to-ddwrt.bin >> boot.bin as it cause a reboot which prevent me from getting back my router to do next firmware upgrades. Being in this situation caused by BrainSlayer's modification done in firmware some time ago: "in older firmwares the string isnt tp-link but dd-wrt. i changed that string to tp-link in that firmware and this all caused the bug since my mtd partition code was looking for the wrong string to detect the bootloader size" (https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311642&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0) I decided to revert from DD-WRT to stock firmware and then to go for some another firmware (OpenWRT or Gargoyle)
Sad to say but this is not fair if something is done that is causing that it is not possible to do next DDWRT firmware upgrades and people are left with that problem alone and no fix is delivered.
Sponsor
zloy_elektrik
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:51    Post subject: Re: Going to revert back to stock firmware and then someting Reply with quote
rafalB wrote:
As I can read some people are having their routers bricked even when following procedure.

I suppose the reason is lack of RAM (32Mb on tl-wr1043 v1 for example). I have 1043 v1 with RAM MOD (ram chip swapped, now 64Mb), all commands worked (i did wget from ftp to /tmp/factory-to-ddwrt.bin, then cd /tmp, then cat factory-to-ddwrt.bin >> boot.bin and so on). Those who has 32Mb ram may try add bootloader to firmware image not in router /tmp directory, but on PC. Some previous posters did that. And BTW, problem did not fixed. I'm still cannot upgrade/downgrade via web from r35034 (tl1043nd v1).

UPD. No, i was wrong. On my second router (tl1043nd v1 w/ ram mod) I did upgrade r33555>r33607 via mtd -f write boot.bin fullflash, no problems. But web update still dont work. Then i did same r33607>r33672 and bricked my router. No u-boot output on serial. No bootloop, only green powerled. I desolder flash chip, read dump from it, and there was no u-boot. So 1) i forgot to factory-to-ddwrt.bin >> boot.bin (but i remember i did) or 2) that command fail to run.
Good for me, i have some old fullflash from my router to program into SPI.
matiph
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 21:33    Post subject: Re: Going to revert back to stock firmware and then someting Reply with quote
rafalB wrote:
I decided to revert from DD-WRT to stock firmware and then to go for some another firmware (OpenWRT or Gargoyle)

I got a 1043nd v1.2 and ran into this problem with 33525. I followed the guide made by rscm from page 2 (copied to a linuxVM and back to the router). Now I am at 33492 and would like to get to OpenWRT but the provided webrevert for this router does not work. It stays on dd-wrt 33492.

How did you get back to stock or what would be the recommended way to get OpenWRT/LEDE?

Since the boot partition still has the wrong name (if I got it correct), I am worried to brick the router by following the "standard" guides like:

https://samiux.blogspot.de/2010/03/howto-dd-wrt-on-tp-link-tl-wr1043nd.html (Step 6)

https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr1043nd#back_to_original_firmware
rafalB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 21:25    Post subject: Re: Going to revert back to stock firmware and then someting Reply with quote
matiph wrote:
rafalB wrote:
I decided to revert from DD-WRT to stock firmware and then to go for some another firmware (OpenWRT or Gargoyle)

I got a 1043nd v1.2 and ran into this problem with 33525. I followed the guide made by rscm from page 2 (copied to a linuxVM and back to the router). Now I am at 33492 and would like to get to OpenWRT but the provided webrevert for this router does not work. It stays on dd-wrt 33492.

How did you get back to stock or what would be the recommended way to get OpenWRT/LEDE?

Since the boot partition still has the wrong name (if I got it correct), I am worried to brick the router by following the "standard" guides like:

https://samiux.blogspot.de/2010/03/howto-dd-wrt-on-tp-link-tl-wr1043nd.html (Step 6)

I purchased 1043ND v2.1 and flashed Gargoyle.
Tomorrow I will try to revert to stock firmware on 1043ND v1 and then I will let you know if I was able to do that...
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
well sad to hear you did't manage to sort your router...
In fact compare to DD-WRT or even LEDE, Gargoyle sucks on performance, upgrades and security but has few good extras..
Gargoyle its not recommended for edge router...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
rafalB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
In fact compare to DD-WRT or even LEDE, Gargoyle sucks on performance, upgrades and security but has few good extras..

Is there a place where available router's alternative firmware can be compared?
Why Gargoyle sucks comparing with OpenWRT/Lede as it is based on OpenWRT?
I prefer to have fewer upgrades but stable instead of not to be able to do any upgrades due to changes introduced to DD-WRT causing that next versions can't be flashed at all.
rafalB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 15:48    Post subject: Re: Going to revert back to stock firmware and then someting Reply with quote
matiph wrote:
rafalB wrote:

First I checked the method provided in second link. Result: revert doesn't work - firmware stays at DD-WRT. I used also tl-wr1043nd_v1-webrevert.rar available at https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=85237. Result is the same: revert to stock is not done.

Then I did method provided in first link and got different result than the one described in that link:
root@DD-WRT:/tmp/mnt/sda1# mtd -e linux -r write /mnt/sda1/revertToStock2.bin linux
Unlocking linux ...
Could not unlock MTD device: linux
linux: Not supported
Erasing linux ...
erase[7995392]
Writing from /mnt/sda1/revertToStock2.bin to linux ... [e]Erasing mtd failed: linux

and... my 1043ND v1.9 is bricked.
Fortunately I'm running new 1043ND v2.1 with Gargoyle and I'm happy to say goodby to DD-WRT. Would like to say thank you also to BrainSlayer for excellent modification done in DD-WRT that it caused that I was not able to do upgrades and then I was forced to buy another device.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
rafalB wrote:
Alozaros wrote:

Is there a place where available router's alternative firmware can be compared?
Why Gargoyle sucks comparing with OpenWRT/Lede as it is based on OpenWRT?
I prefer to have fewer upgrades but stable instead of not to be able to do any upgrades due to changes introduced to DD-WRT causing that next versions can't be flashed at all.

Well...soon you will find out all about Gargoyle as you are so happy to use it...
I also use it on the same device and its been serving me very well for what i need it, but its not for an edge router as i said...i do prefer 3 rd party firmware who its safe and sound updated frequently not using an old kernels and not delivering what router suppose to do..
I also believe you didnt do all the BS recommended steps
to recover and thats why your router bugged on in the same thread you can see other ppl with the same router with successful recovery, but anyway sad to say it ver 1.x is buggy and ver 2.1 works so well with DD-WRT its like a rock solid Wink not buggy at all

Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
matiph
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 16:41    Post subject: Re: Going to revert back to stock firmware and then someting Reply with quote
rafalB wrote:

Thank you very much for sharing your experience! Hope you can debrick it? I got no serial cable yet…

So the last thing I can think of is trying to go directly to LEDE like:
Code:

mtd -r write LEDE[…]squashfs-factory.bin linux

Is there any advice for precautions before doing this?
Get a dump of fullflash and save it on my pc?
rafalB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 17:03    Post subject: Re: Going to revert back to stock firmware and then someting Reply with quote
matiph wrote:
rafalB wrote:

Thank you very much for sharing your experience! Hope you can debrick it? I got no serial cable yet…

So the last thing I can think of is trying to go directly to LEDE like:
Code:

mtd -r write LEDE[…]squashfs-factory.bin linux

Is there any advice for precautions before doing this?
Get a dump of fullflash and save it on my pc?

TFTP method to unbrick it can't be used as router is not even responding for ping 192.168.0.1 (and other IPs as well as I checked)
As I'm using now 1043ND v2.1 I don't mind to resurrect that bricked 1043ND v1.9 using serial cable - simply no time and fun to do that. I will just throw it to the trash.
I don't know if your idea to flash Lede bin firmware will work. I'm afraid it doesn't as I did exactly the same using specially prepared stock firmware. Even if you do a full dump of your current firmware it will be useless if you get your router bricked. Be careful.
alfon_sico
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
tzok wrote:
alfon_sico wrote:
I think all was mess up but like a miracle it works

TP Link 1043ND 1.8
Telnet

* dd if=/dev/mtdblock7 of=/tmp/boot.bin bs=1 count=131072
* wget http://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2018/01-19-2018-r34578/tplink_tl-wr1043nd/factory-to-ddwrt.bin
* cat factory-to-ddwrt.bin >> boot.bin
* (DEEP BREATH) mtd -f write boot.bin fullflash
Unlocking fullflash ...
Could not unlock MTD device: fullflash
fullflash: Not supported
Writing from boot.bin to fullflash ... [w/e]
GLUP** (Not supported?)(not unlock?) I read this forum and find a user with boot loop

* reboot
Segmentation fault
Segmentation fault
-sh: /tmp/.rc_shutdown: Permission denied
-sh: /sbin/reboot: I/O error
SUPER GLUP**!!
* ls
Segmentation fault

Power off router and pray ... wait ... boot ... leds.... wlan ... led ...URL and got it with 34578 version and old config maintained

I've just killed my router by following this. It is missing the correct path! Should be:
dd if=/dev/mtdblock7 of=/tmp/boot.bin bs=1 count=131072
wget http://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2018/01-31-2018-r34777/tplink_tl-wr1043nd/factory-to-ddwrt.bin
cat factory-to-ddwrt.bin >> /tmp/boot.bin
mtd -f write /tmp/boot.bin fullflash

Without this /tmp/ (or cd /tmp/) this will irreversibly brick your router!

Right. Hope everyone take note
I forgot to mention that everything was inside /tmp
(Cd /tmp at the beginning)
matiph
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am still wondering about the risk of bricking when trying to flash LEDE (or Gluon for freifunk) directly on my 1043nd v1.2 with 33492.

Could any of the experienced members help me?

Should I try
Code:
mtd -r write LEDE.bin linux

with factory or sysupgrade? Probably factory?

EDIT: I was too impatient and used the stripped stockfirmware with mtd from a usbstick. Bricked. I will try it with a serial cable…
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 23:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
well this was in discussion so many time now...going from
3rd party firmware its strictly advised to go back to stock first otherwise prepare the serial cable Wink

Qualcomm-Atheros
Broadcom
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
matiph
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you. I was only asking because the provided webrevert file for my router did also not work (but at least did not brick it).

The stripped stockfirmware linked by OpenWRT was an option which I considered worth trying…
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
matiph wrote:
Thank you. I was only asking because the provided webrevert file for my router did also not work (but at least did not brick it).

The stripped stockfirmware linked by OpenWRT was an option which I considered worth trying…

well.. if you are on ddwrt than stick to ddwrt
revert file same for openwrt stick to the openwrt
http://www.friedzombie.com/tplink-stripped-firmware/

Qualcomm-Atheros
Broadcom
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 6 of 9
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: