How to get ipv6 running?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Arp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 23:22    Post subject: How to get ipv6 running? Reply with quote
Hi,

My ISP gives me an ip6 adress. I have a cable modem from AVM, the FritzBox. When I plug my pc directly into the FritzBox, I get a ip6 adress for it and everything works. A ip6 testpage shows me my ip6 adress.

Now, normaly I have the netgear wndr3700v3 behind the modem which takes care of all the routing behind it. It is running DD-WRT v3.0-r29440 mega (04/11/16).

But now my pc does not get an ip6 adress.

As far as I understand it, the FritzBox should give the ip6 prefix from the ISP to the router. In the router, I tried "DHCP6 with Prefix Delegation" and "Native ip6 from ISP". But nothing seems to work.

Interestingly, the router does get an ip6 adress. I do an ifconfig in the console of the router, the br0 device apparently gets a global ip6 adress.

So... how I do get it to route ip6 to the clients on the network? What am I missing?
Thx.
Sponsor
JAMESMTL
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
what I suspect is the fritzbox is running a dhcpv6-pd client and is being assigned a prefix and is then configuring downstream via slaac and/or dhcpv6.

This needs to be confirmed before going further.

if this is the case then you will need to look towards manually configuring the ddwrt router for ipv6 passthrough (ddwrt router becomes more or less a transparent ipv6 bridge).

See my posts in this thread for proof of concept on an R7000 (Broadcom ARM based).

https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=306786

Unfortunately I can't do any testing until nov as I don't have any free testing routers ATM.
Arp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

I'm afraid I cant really tell you much since I have only little knowledge about networking.

But I can tell you that in the fritzbox's ip6 options I can choose between:

Broadcast Fritzbox as DNS server via DHCP6

Broadcast Fritzbox as DNS server via DHCP6, and forward parts of the ISP's ip6 network to the router (IA_PD)

Broadcast Fritzbox as DNS server via DHCP6, and forward parts of the ISP's ip6 network to the router (IA_PD), Devices in the home network get an ip6 via DHCPv6 (IA_NA)

I think I tried out every possible combination to no avail.

I also think, that once my pc showed a global link, then I changed something and since then I couldnt get it back ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: