Auto-reconnect on 3G without reboot?

sabroe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 17:20    Post subject: Auto-reconnect on 3G without reboot? Reply with quote
Is it possible to set up a router so that it automatically detects failing internet-connectivity and automatically reconnects by 3G-dialup?

Any confirmation, positive or negative, is appreciated.
Sponsor
sploit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:51    Post subject: Custom Watchdog Reply with quote
Yes, you would need to use a custom watchdog script like one I just created for the openvpn tunnels.

Except this one would monitor the WAN interface and simply WAN down then WAN up I believe.
In certain cases possibly power on/off the usb as well could be an option.

(Maybe more than that depending on the setup)

I could program this is I was able to see it and get the data.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
See the "Dual WAN" tutorials in the Wiki.
sabroe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Very good, it is possible. Good news, thank you both!

Now, if I got my router up to a newer r33345, got SSH-access, enabled JFFS2 to allow for some startup script like e.g. a variant of "failover.startup" found on the https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Dual_WAN_with_failover page, what are the actual commands to bring the WAN down and up again by dialup as already set in the web-ui?

Is it a "ifconfig" command involving my "eth0" like what I see in "wan2up.startup" or is it a more elaborate script? What are the commands?

The second diode on my router reflects WAN-connectivity. Normally blue, but when the 3G-connection to the internet is lost, it goes orange (Linksys 1200ACv2). As things are out of the box, the diode appears to be a reliable indication of the state of internet-connectivity. Will reconnecting continue to be reflected in this diode as in "turn it back to blue once re-connected"?

From the below command, I suspect that the network interface for my WAN is "eth0".

Code:

root@enterprise:~# nvram show | grep wan | grep ifname
size: 27848 bytes (37688 left)
wan_ifname=
wan_ifname2=eth0
wan_ifnames=
sabroe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 20:03    Post subject: stopservice wan, startservice wan Reply with quote
Okay, it does very much appear as if the commands I seek to do "up" and "down" on the WAN of mine might be these:

Code:

root@enterprise:/# stopservice wan
No such device
No such device

Code:

root@enterprise:/# startservice wan
cat: can't open '/proc/net/ip_conntrack_flush': No such file or directory
No such device
D-Link DWM-157 B1 detected
stty: standard input: cannot perform all requested operations
stty: standard input: cannot perform all requested operations

The commands do produce some not-too-sound looking output, but the "stopservice" command does disconnect the router from the internet and the "startservice" command does connect the router again. Right now, I have testet it with some live streaming and I am happy to see the LED for WAN-connectivity go to the disconnected orange color on stopservice and turn back on to the connected blue color on startservice. I also note that the startservice command by output appears to look at and use my 3G dongle (D-Link DWM-157 rev. B).

Some further experimentation is necessary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: