Questions About Installing DD-WRT on an Archer C7 v3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
tempest2084
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 15:12    Post subject: Questions About Installing DD-WRT on an Archer C7 v3 Reply with quote
I have a TP-Link Archer C7 v3 (US version) that I'd like to install DD-WRT on, but I have a few questions and finding info on the v3 seems to be tough.

1. I currently have OpenWRT installed on it. Do I have to revert back to the factory firmware or can I just use OpenWRT's firmware upgrade interface (through LuCI) and go directly to DD-WRT?

2. Is there official firmware for the C7 v3? All I can find is stuff for the v2. I did however find something in the beta directory of the FTP (ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2017/09-19-2017-r33375/tplink_archer-c7-v3/tplink_archer-c7-v3.bin)

3. Speaking of the v2, are the v2 and v3 basically the same? They use the same factory firmware. Like I said, finding information on the v3 seems really difficult.
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
1.yes you have to revert back use stripped firmware files from http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=85237
or here http://www.friedzombie.com/tplink-stripped-firmware/

for the first link there ware some reports for C7 v2 revert files was not working so you can try the second link...if so

2. yep there is an official DD-WRT build ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2017/09-19-2017-r33375/tplink_archer-c7-v3/
all new builds are hosted on the ftp site and all they are in beta stage forever...

3. v2 & v3 are not almost the same https://wikidevi.com/wiki/TP-LINK_Archer_C7_v3.x
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/TP-LINK_Archer_C7_v2.x

so first go to stock firmware using stripped stock file than install factory to dd-wrt file than reset and than to upgrade to new version use the other .bin file...and do reset before and after....
do keep in mind 30/30/30 is not resetting this unit as it should, so use erase nvram command via telnet or SSh...
I know this reset thing is controversial but it doesn't hurt to do it once in a while to eliminate unstable behaviour if needed...
Also do keep in mind the last couple of builds for v2 are not appropriate in size and your router may not upgrade or get bricked so my advise is to read the new builds posts or use a build that is reported to be ok ...
currently i use 33006 and 33215 on my TP-link devices and they use the same SoC and same chassis/CPU...
if you don't know how to unbrick always read the new build
post prior to upgrade to a new builds...

this is the main thread for Archer C7
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=176560

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
tempest2084
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
I see revert files for the v2 not the v3. Can I use that one?

You say that the v2 and v3 are pretty different, but looking at those two links you sent, I'm not seeing much different. What exactly am I looking for?

To revert back to the stock firmware do I use the firmware upgrade feature of OpenWRT?

Also, you say that the standard 30-30-30 reset doesn't work on these routers? I have to use a command line erase command? Is there instructions on how to do that somewhere?
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
hmm naah i would not use v2 to revert v3 better ask LOM on PM for solution he might give you some advise what to do..
may be if you find old TP link firmware before firmware lock to be introduced something very old...

yep they are different at least they will have a different header so ask LOM for advise...

sadly im not acquainted to openWRT and its mess...i cant help you with that you suppose to read and decide and have a back up plan.... how to, in case of...at least i do like that...
for help with openWRT issues, contact their forum they may pop up with revert file who knows...
If you are familiar with serial interface there you can see whats going on and eventually delete openWRT and flash to stock or DD-WRT i guess...
https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Serial_Recovery

https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Hard_reset_or_30/30/30 here is how to use command line to erase nvram....

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 23:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
The dd-wrt revert files can only be used for reverting from dd-wrt to stock.

dd-wrt can only be flashed on routers which either are running stock firmware or routers which already are running dd-wrt firmware, you can not flash dd-wrt over OpenWRT.

Reverting from OpenWRT has to be done using stock firmware with the boot loader part stripped off.
You can tftp such file or transfer it to the router and mtd write it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
Reverting from OpenWRT has to be done using stock firmware with the boot loader part stripped off.
You can tftp such file or transfer it to the router and mtd write it.

Sigh, I knew it wasn't going to be that easy...

How exactly do I do that? Are there instructions somewhere?
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:27    Post subject: Hidden TFTP on TP-Link routers Reply with quote
See this link: https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/archer-c5-c7-wdr7500

Scroll down to TFTP Recovery.

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
Netgear R7800 x3 - WDS AP / station, gateway, QoS
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 615 C1/E3/I1 x 7 - 1 WDS station
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Linksys EA6400 - Gateway, QoS
Asus N66U - AP
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - switch
tempest2084
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 13:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
This works on the v3 too right?

Ok if I'm reading all of this correctly I need to:

1. Download the latest firmware from TP-Link
2. Rename it to ArcherC7v3_tp_recovery.bin
3. Download TFTP and put the recovery file in the same directory
4. Reconfigure my ethernet port to point to 192.168.0.66
5. Connect my ethernet cable to Lan1 on the router
6. Start the TFTP program and point it to the file
7. Put the router in recovery mode (hold WPS and Reset and power on?)
8. If all goes well the recovery firmware will transfer over and reflash the router

Am I missing anything? This seems straight forward enough.

Actually re-reading that page, couldn't I just strip the bootloader part out of the firmware (using the dd if=orig.bin of=tplink.bin skip=257 bs=512 command) and then update the router firmware through the OpenWRT update interface? That seems a lot easier.
tempest2084
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm going to try and do the easier update method this weekend, and if that fails then the harder one. Hopefully I don't screw this up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: