DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AKozlovskiy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
spuriousoffspring wrote:
Try a different build.

FYI: SSH is not enabled by default - only Telnet (port 23). Also, the default IP is 192.168.1.1

I changed the device address when configuring.
Telnet does not work either.
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
You have to enable it. On one of the latest builds, I noticed it was disabled in administration.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 0:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am having the same problem. I attempted to boot to another partition using the "on-off" method. Both times I tried it rebooted to the OEM firmware.
tiborp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Latest builds (36410) for Linksys WRT1900 ACS and AC V2 (FCCID:Q87-WRT1900ACV2) fail to properly boot on initial wrt install (factory-to-ddwrt.bin). The router attempts to startup/boot, fails 3(?) times and then switches automatically back to OEM firmware. I didn't try prior builds as builds as far back I can see (36427, 36330) all have booting issues.

I, of course, tried to force partition switch which confirmed that router is trying but failing, then thankfully fail-safes back to OEM vs. bricking.
spuriousoffspring
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try upgrading to DD-WRT from an older version of stock Linksys firmware. If you don't have an older version saved, you can ask the Forum or get one here:
https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt_ac_series
Firmware Images - Linksys OEM Builds

It goes without saying, but be sure to download the correct OEM build for your router and hardware version.

WRT32X DD-WRT Installation Procedure
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=315569

IPVanish OpenVPN Client Setup TUTORIAL
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=308565

FIRMWARE: OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r8217-2cc821e / LuCI Master (git-18.276.41146-280dd33)
MODEM: ARRIS SURFBoard SB8200
ROUTER: Linksys WRT32X
USB NAS: Western Digital BLACK 1 TB Hardrive + Startech USB 3.0 External SATA III Enclosure
tiborp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yep, confirmed that going back to build 35681 4/6/18, install success on first try, no issues. In looking through other threads for WRT1900AC/S, this date seems to be stable and happy.
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2018
wookieman2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 14:06    Post subject: Something to note on WRT1900ACXXX - Thought I bricked it. Reply with quote
One thing I noticed (because it gave me a lot of trouble) is the version seemed to be extremely important.

I have the WRT1900ACSV2. That's what it looks like on the label on the underside of my router. Well, being a newb, I tried to install the firmware for the V2. After the first firmware upload, logging back into the Web GUI, I was still on the standard Linksys Firmware. I was slightly confused, as I thought I should be looking at the DD-WRT Firmware at that point. Nope.

I went ahead and uploaded the .bin file and.....Solid red light...Absolutely nothing worked. Couldn't access the WebGUI, nothing. Had to do a reset, and fortunately found out the original firmware was still on there.

I tried 3 times with the same results.

Turns out, I don't have a V2. I have an S.

Used the firmware for the S. Worked first time. No issues. Running perfectly.

And this is the lates firmware as of 7-XX-2018
spuriousoffspring
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Always go by what is listed under Model Number not the FCC ID.

FIRMWARE: OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r8217-2cc821e / LuCI Master (git-18.276.41146-280dd33)
USB NAS: Western Digital BLACK 1 TB Hardrive + Startech USB 3.0 External SATA III Enclosure
fabiasimon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:52    Post subject: DD-WRT help Reply with quote
Hi All,

I am a DD-WRT newbie and have a couple of questions.

I have a Linksys WRT3200ACM router and is currently running the Linksys standard firmware. I am considering flashing with DD-WRT to enable me to link my IP VANISH account to the router.

If I do this is it possible to have say 2 wireless networks? one that routes through the VPN and one that doesn't?

With DD-WRT am I still able to manage my router remotely as I do currently using the Linksys app?

Thanks in advance
spuriousoffspring
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:47    Post subject: Re: DD-WRT help Reply with quote
fabiasimon wrote:
I have a Linksys WRT3200ACM router and is currently running the Linksys standard firmware. I am considering flashing with DD-WRT to enable me to link my IP VANISH account to the router.

If I do this is it possible to have say 2 wireless networks? one that routes through the VPN and one that doesn't?

The most effective method may be to set up a VAP (Guest Network) or a VLAN (Virtual Local Area Network) and use iptables (custom firewall rules).
I personally haven't needed to split my OpenVPN Client tunnel, but I have seen plenty of information on it.

Check out the Advanced Networking section of the Forum.
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=53

fabiasimon wrote:
With DD-WRT am I still able to manage my router remotely as I do currently using the Linksys app?

Yes. For larger devices such as an iPad I just use the default browser to navigate to the GUI at 192.168.1.1.
For smaller screens I recommend the DD-WRT App by Dappitude Limited. There is a Lite version for free you can use for testing and the paid version for $7.99 (worth it).

I also use the SSH / Telnet Client App, Shelly. There's a free version that has everything you need. (I upgraded to the paid version to support the developer)

TekFreckle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 14:06    Post subject: Ubootenv command Reply with quote
When I run the ubootenv get boot_part command, all I get back is list as the return. I have listed all of the ubootenv variables and that is what is supposed to be returned. I am running version 36330 and wondering if there is something else I should be using for the command. Thanks in advance.
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:38    Post subject: Re: Ubootenv command Reply with quote
TekFreckle wrote:
When I run the ubootenv get boot_part command, all I get back is list as the return. I have listed all of the ubootenv variables and that is what is supposed to be returned. I am running version 36330 and wondering if there is something else I should be using for the command. Thanks in advance.

When you run the ubootenv get boot_part, you get a list like this?

root@Dink_1900:~# ubootenv
usage:
ubootenv [option] [item] [value]...

[option]: {set,get, del,list}
[item]: Uboot environment variable name
[value]: Value of uboot environment variable

ubootenv set [item] [value]....
ubootenv get [item]
ubootenv del [item]
ubootenv list
root@Dink_1900:~#

Velop:2 WHW0101, RE6500, RE9000(AP)
Spectrum - 1000/50
SysLog Watcher 5, New security Onion box coming soon, Fingboxes, PiHoles, NEMS, Cacti, rpisurv
robn30
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
If I use the ubootenv command to set the boot back to stock Linksys, can I use that command while on the stock firmware to get back to DD-WRT. I don't recall stock Linksys coming with SSH baked in or a command option using the GUI like DD-WRT. What's the easiest way to do this on the stock firmware?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
robn30 wrote:
If I use the ubootenv command to set the boot back to stock Linksys, can I use that command while on the stock firmware to get back to DD-WRT. I don't recall stock Linksys coming with SSH baked in or a command option using the GUI like DD-WRT. What's the easiest way to do this on the stock firmware?

Once on stock firmware, if you want to switch back to dd-wrt, just go the the setting that says to revert to previous firmware. I’m paraphrasing. It’s on the trouble shooting page, I believe.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
robn30 wrote:

Once on stock firmware, if you want to switch back to dd-wrt, just go the the setting that says to revert to previous firmware. I’m paraphrasing. It’s on the trouble shooting page, I believe.

Wow, that seems quite easy. Thanks for the information. So I guess this method is why the WRT3200ACM and others have 2 boot partitions. One last question, this won't blow out my DD-WRT configuration will it? I hoping that if I switch between the two that both configuration setups will remain intact. Thanks again.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 6
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: