Any use for old cable modems?

TheTech
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 19:18    Post subject: Any use for old cable modems? Reply with quote
Over the years, I've accumulated a minor stockpile of old DOCSIS 1.0/1.1 and 2.0 cable modems, and was just wondering if there was any interesting uses for these beyond using them as a modem.

I'm assuming the answer is a solid no, but I thought I'd ask before I start pitching them.

Not home at the moment, so I can't post model numbers but I'll do so if needed. I know that I have a few Motorola Surfboard 5100-series modems at the very least.

D-Link DIR-880L (AP)
Linksys WRT54G v8 v24-sp2 micro - 14929 (AP)
Sponsor
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Routers with integrated modems are not supported mainly because of the modem portion. Hence I really don't think there is any possibility that modem only units will get support.
TheTech
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
js1662 wrote:
Routers with integrated modems are not supported mainly because of the modem portion. Hence I really don't think there is any possibility that modem only units will get support.

My thoughts as well. I didn't really expect them to be compatible with DD-WRT, but was moreso wondering if anybody had done anything interesting with cable modems beyond that.

Again, though, given the specific nature of the devices, I doubt it.

D-Link DIR-880L (AP)
Linksys WRT54G v8 v24-sp2 micro - 14929 (AP)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: