asus rt-ac87u vlan id question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
puv
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 13:50    Post subject: asus rt-ac87u vlan id question Reply with quote
hi guys,

first time post, a newbie here.

i've got a asus rt-ac87u and would like to install ddwrt.
my isp sends data and voip on vlan id 621 and 822.

from what i've read, vlan id settings more than 15 cannot be done through the gui but needs to be command based.

on previous routers(dlink, linksys), i've been able to setup using both tomato and openwrt. But with the asus router, there's no release for either one of them except ddwrt.

i've gone through some links but there's no clear detail on how to setup vlan with ddwrt(at least for me), it looks pretty complicated and i'd really hate to mess up the router. Wink
can anyone help out to detail how to go about getting vlan id 621(lan ports 1-3) and 822(lan port 4) setup?
appreciate the help!
Sponsor
kooper2013
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 17:23    Post subject: Re: asus rt-ac87u vlan id question Reply with quote
Welcome to the forum. You may or not may get responses, as you perhaps know.

I never had to use VLAN tagging.

From
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=86919

I found on my AC87 that it has
Code:

dmesg |grep robo
roboswitch: Probing device 'eth0'
roboswitch: trying a 53012! at eth0
roboswitch: found a 53012! at eth0

So this is a different bridge on the AC87 (53115 on the E3000).

On the last page of the thread mentioned there are some patches. It could be useful to report those to the devs on svn, especially as some seem to have moved away from DD-WRT because of broken (?) VLAN tagging with high IDs.
...but there is already a ticket https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/3482
by kong, which is 4 years old. IMO there is not a lot of hope.

BTW, preview in the forum is SOMETIMES broken...

1xBuffalo WHR-1166D (stock f/w)
1xAsus RT-AC87U
1xAsus RT-AC88U
1xTP710
puv
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
hi koop, thanks for the welcome and the info!
it didn't really make much sense to me, except only "IMO, there is not a lot of hope".

i'm getting this same feeling from reading the link you mentioned.
i got the ac87u used for a deal but maybe should have bought something a little easier to configure.

i have to use the vlans since my service provider is sending data that way. internet, iptv and voip are sent with different vlan id's.

i'll try to dig around some more and also see if anyone else has some input.
thanks again!
mache
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I recently got a used RT-AC87U off of Craigslist and while I did not try to do VLAN tagging on it I noticed that you only get a default channel on the 5Ghz radio and are unable to chose one. Something about a weird chipset and drivers that prevents it.

I use VLAN tagging on my production platform at home so I would be most interested if you got this to work (see https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=263155&highlight= for my home config). For me, I am going to give up on this router, sell it back on Craigslist, and purchase a used R7000.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: