Router Signal from neighbor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
garce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:01    Post subject: Router Signal from neighbor Reply with quote
I am concerned my neighbors router is too strong. I live in a suburb in Ontario and live in a detached home.
I have noticed I have poor reception. When I use the wifi survey option I can see some absolutely strong signal and it appears as same access point repeated 3 times. Two of these
1. kingbob 51, 62, 63 RSSI
2. monkey 50, 69, 76 RSSI

How can my neighbor router project such a strong signal inside my family room?

[/img]
Sponsor
ddaniel51
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Move to a channel with less interference.
Wired AP 3 Unifi Wifi 6 LR US 1Gb LAN
Syslog Services Asustor 7110T NAS 10GB
NetGear XS716T 10GB Switch
download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/ (Brain Slayer)
YAMon https://usage-monitoring.com/index.php
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
First of all he uses ch 6 which allows for more output, then on edge channels. Then you have not given us any estimation about the possible distance to his routers and what type of obstacles are between your and his router/property.
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Smaller picture please.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 14:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,
Houses are all build withing last 5 years and traditional suburban studs/plywood/etc
1. My house must be side to side 25 feet. My next door neighbors house must be a distance of 10 fee wall to wall.
2. There is an empty lot behind my house and the next house must be 200m away
3. In front there is a round and a row of houses
I have no idea where my neighbor have their router (possible a mesh router)
I am including a smaller picture as requested
I have changed channels before but I always seem to be affected.
I am just shocked that I have this super router AC68u but my neighbor signal is many times stronger than mine.
How strong can it be that I see 50 RSSI??

PowerRouter2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  105.72 KB
 Viewed:  8175 Time(s)

PowerRouter2.jpg

garce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I spoke to my neighbor next door and he has a mesh router Google Wifi.
I am still frustrated and dissapointed with my router. Other than right in front of the router (line of sight) it appears that my neighbor signals are stronger including what appears to be my other next door neighbor.

I increased 2.4GHz Tx power to 100 to see what happens but still see neighbors so much stronger.
I installed app wifi analyzer on my smartphone to take a better look at everything.

Any comments appreciated.
-Bad settings?
-Bad HW?
-Bad Antennas?
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
The RSSI numbers are negative, That means -70 is weaker than -50.

You can gain some speed by changing all APs to 20Mhz width. You will get less interference.

Use your router's 5Ghz interface as much as possible. It's probably less crowded.

Have you lined up the antennas? Centre straight up, sides 45 degree outward.

Enable Beam Forming.
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
It don't look too bad to me.
Don't look like kingbob & monkey are throwing out VTH80 that would further cover the spectrum.....
and also only looks like one signal of each would be strong enough to be useful to you....
just hang in there --- you'll run across his password one of these days and then have something else to play with Smile
nolimitz
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
i have a similar problem with 2.4Ghz so i stopped using it, interference is too high with too many access points. i currently use 5Ghz radio only for my place which is much more cleaner, no other access points on the channel i use, better performance.
lexgreen
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 16:58    Post subject: Re: Router Signal from neighbor Reply with quote
garce wrote:
I am concerned my neighbors router is too strong. I live in a suburb in Ontario and live in a detached home.
I have noticed I have poor reception. When I use the wifi survey option I can see some absolutely strong signal and it appears as same access point repeated 3 times. Two of these
1. kingbob 51, 62, 63 RSSI
2. monkey 50, 69, 76 RSSI

How can my neighbor router project such a strong signal inside my family room?

[/img]

I had the same problem too, it was driving me crazy. I also live in Ontario (Toronto), and there are 8 wireless signals that come into my home. Some of these signals are 2.4ghz with a width of 40mhz, basically making 2.4ghz unusable. I pretty much run all my traffic on the 5ghz channel, and restrict it to a width of 40mhz so that there are not many overlaps with neighbours. I tried many different types of routers, and found that a 4x4 router placed in the most centre of the house works best. I would suggest upgrading to a netgear r7800 x4s or to any other 4x4 router that supports dd-wrt.
paravox
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
I live in a city with dozens of 2.4ghz signals around. Things that help:

-use 5ghz whenever possible
-use 20mhz channel width on 2.4ghz
-use the least saturated channels based on site survey--that is, those with fewest/weakest signals (1,6 or 11)
-separate APs with lower tx power (turning it up too high can actually cause interference)

If I were you I'd use channel 1 or 11 to stay out of Kingbob's way and leave tx power at default.
mwnn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Channel 1 looks like the best choice to me.

You'll see more and more congestion with WiFi as it's built in virtually everything nowdays.
Single routers look to be going out of fashion in favour of multi point systems like Netgear Orbi - blanket your home (and everybody else's with WiFi!)

Wireless radios seem to get better at signal propagation with each revision.
Unfortunately not many people wish to knock holes in the walls/lift floorboards to lay down cable. Powerline adapters were good in theory but look like a bit of a dead end now - quite expensive too!

Modern properties aren't made of WiFi impeding materials & the lead has been taken out of most paints. Virtually all construction is timber and thin drywall/plasterboard now.

Even the 5GHz band will get filled up if people start using 80/160MHz bandwidth en-mass to hit those high numbers.

All of the Virgin Superhubs in my proximity chuck out a 20MHz 2.4GHz signal as well as a 40/80MHz 5GHz signal by default.
Toss in range extenders/access points and public hotspots and it all gets a bit messy in urban areas.

I find that most people still don't know how to change router settings through the GUI.
garce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes my neighbor has google wifi with 3 wifi points

1. Does anybody know whether AC68U DDWRT firmware is any worst signal wise than stock AC68u?
2. Are the stock antenna's directional? Mine are pointing much like in recommendations left at 45 degrees pointing left, right at 45 degrees pointing right, center straight up. My router is in the family room in the second floor. Not in a corner but relatively close. I have wifi issues all on the second floor.
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 14:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
garce wrote:
Yes my neighbor has google wifi with 3 wifi points

1. Does anybody know whether AC68U DDWRT firmware is any worst signal wise than stock AC68u?
2. Are the stock antenna's directional? Mine are pointing much like in recommendations left at 45 degrees pointing left, right at 45 degrees pointing right, center straight up. My router is in the family room in the second floor. Not in a corner but relatively close. I have wifi issues all on the second floor.

Exactly what @paravox said, and btw it doesnt seem you know what tx power is used for, so leave it in Default/Auto.

R6250 - BS 29193 running since 03/20/16 - (AP - NAS - FTP - SMB - DNSMasq - AdBlocking)
JAMESMTL
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
your neighbor survey while congested really isn't that bad, mine shows far stronger APs in range.

Now if your saying your devices see your neoghbours' APs with a stronger signal the I would start by adjusting your antennas while using something like wifi analyzer.

FWIW what counts is actual throughput.

wifi2.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  101.55 KB
 Viewed:  7861 Time(s)

wifi2.PNG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: