Kong's DD-WRT test build 32780M - 2017/07/21

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
d0mini
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:59    Post subject: Re: Trying to understand SFE Reply with quote
Xeon2k8 wrote:
d0mini wrote:
Hey, I've been using DDWRT builds for years, but that hasn't stopped me from being a complete noob when it comes to understanding new features.

In the simplest of terms, this is my question:

Does SFE improve NAS performance (read/writes via Samba for instance), or does it only improve throughput for your internet speed?

Really what I'm asking for is a very toned-down, explain-to-me-like-I-am-5-years-of-age explanation of what SFE does. Embarassed

Thank you Kong and Brainslayer for all your incredible work.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1086920#1086920

Thank you Xeon, I did actually see that a little while ago. I'll give it to you straight, no shame:

I don't know what accelerating NAT (network address translation?) means performance-wise. Or really at all. I tried the wikipedia article for NAT, but I can't make sense of the in-depth explanation.

Moving on to the next part of the sentence. It therefore increases WAN-LAN throughput, okay. Wired access network to local area network, so that means you can use your router to service your devices with a higher-speed internet connection than previously possible. Right...?

My original question remains (and is probably tied to my ignorance of what NAT really is): is NAS performance improved?
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
NAS speed is not improved, only speed to and from the internet, my testing shows that it improves a lot on my R6400. But it only makes sense if you have a very high bandwith internet connection.
To and from the internet, the traffic has to be translated and inspected by your router, that is a very processor intensive job and hence takes it toll on throughput. You can buy a router with a faster processor that will help of course.
But for us poor people we now have SFE this basically makes a shortcut between internet and your lan and thus can improve throughput to and from the internet.

That is at least how I understand it Smile

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 14:34    Post subject: Re: Trying to understand SFE Reply with quote
d0mini wrote:
Xeon2k8 wrote:
d0mini wrote:
Hey, I've been using DDWRT builds for years, but that hasn't stopped me from being a complete noob when it comes to understanding new features.

In the simplest of terms, this is my question:

Does SFE improve NAS performance (read/writes via Samba for instance), or does it only improve throughput for your internet speed?

Really what I'm asking for is a very toned-down, explain-to-me-like-I-am-5-years-of-age explanation of what SFE does. Embarassed

Thank you Kong and Brainslayer for all your incredible work.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1086920#1086920

Thank you Xeon, I did actually see that a little while ago. I'll give it to you straight, no shame:

I don't know what accelerating NAT (network address translation?) means performance-wise. Or really at all. I tried the wikipedia article for NAT, but I can't make sense of the in-depth explanation.

Moving on to the next part of the sentence. It therefore increases WAN-LAN throughput, okay. Wired access network to local area network, so that means you can use your router to service your devices with a higher-speed internet connection than previously possible. Right...?

My original question remains (and is probably tied to my ignorance of what NAT really is): is NAS performance improved?

Exactly what egc said. But lets assume he never replied, you have the knowledge, you left some logic to process that knowledge. You already know it accelerates WAN-LAN transference. NAS is LAN-LAN... that's it, you answered yourself.

R6250 - BS 29193 running since 03/20/16 - (AP - NAS - FTP - SMB - DNSMasq - AdBlocking)
d0mini
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 22:32    Post subject: Wonderful Reply with quote
Amazing, you guys are wonderful, thanks for taking the time from your days to teach me some things. Razz

In that case, SFE really does sound like a solid addition to the DDWRT firmware!

Must admit I was a little excited that this was some kind of software acceleration for NAS similar to the (largely unsafe?) hardware acceleration on some stock router firmwares. I'm over it now though, and what SFE does do is certainly enough to write home about.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: