Hello everybody, I'm currently using the Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H router with firmware version DD-WRT v3.0-r30880 std (11/14/16).
I haven't updated it in a long time, but have been experiencing what seems like some pretty bad buffer bloat problems. When running no QoS my download speed is about 66 mbps with an upload of about 5.7 mbps.
I get a 25ms ping to google using cmd prompt that jumps up to around 35ms during the download portion of a speed test with a QoS limiting me to 55 mbps. Without a QoS the ping spikes to the 300ms range during the download portion. The upload portion is what gets me though, when running a QoS my ping will get up to over 2000ms and it seems to get worse the lower I limit my upload speed. Running no QoS the ping will get up to 500ms during the upload portion.
I'm running the FQ_CODEL discipline and have tried HFSC and HTB scheduler.
Am I running an unstable firmware is there any suggestions on the most stable version that supports my router? Any other tips or help would be greatly appreciated. I have just been ignoring it for a long time as I don't really upload much but I would like to get the problem tackled.
I think my problem may have been that I had my PC's MAC address prioritized to maximum on the last firmware I was running. I added it to this firmware and had it set to maximum and started experiencing buffer bloat on the tests. I take it that anything set to maximum will be able to go over the QoS limit?
Joined: 03 Jan 2010 Posts: 7236 Location: YWG, Canada
Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 20:49 Post subject:
not anymore, but i dont really see much of anything to do from what was shown to me & there was no mac entered. that about as good as qos gets until/IF its ever modernized & fixed (not counting isp side issues or other crap like intel puma 6 etc). can try checking ack priority when the mac is entered. _________________ LATEST FIRMWARE(S) || Qualcomm Atheros Wi-Fi Settings Guide || Qualcomm Atheros Repeating
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers
I just did 3 consecutive tests with my MAC prioritized to maximum and all packet types checked off each time the dslreports results showed an A score in buffer bloat but pinging google resulted in a spike to over 2000ms during the upload portion each time. I then removed the MAC applied and rebooted and did 3 more tests also scoring an A in buffer bloat while a ping to google never reached higher then a 80ms ping with an average of 35ms. I might mess around and see how premium and the other settings affect me later on, but for now it seems much more stable then it was previously.