SNR / Margin, Line attenuation and wiring questions DSL.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
CantRepeat
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 13:22    Post subject: SNR / Margin, Line attenuation and wiring questions DSL. Reply with quote
Attached is SS of my DSL and at the bottom it shows the SN Margin and the line attenuation. The line attenuation seems good but as I read it, the SN margin is not so good. This is on an ATT DSL 18m down and 1m up.

My current set up is just ADSL2+ with no voice lines in the loop.

My first question: What's the best wire to run from the NID to the DSL modem? From what I gather CAT5e is a good choice for this.

Second question: Is there a need to run any filters if there are no voice lines used. The current wire from the Telco go to just the RJ11 box and from there to the DSL modem.

edit - had up/down backwards, doh!

Last edited by CantRepeat on Sun Oct 29, 2017 17:14; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
CantRepeat
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Changing out the 20 year old POTs phone wire for CAT5e did increase my download speed by almost 2 megs.

S/N margin and line attenuation didn't seem to be affected by the change.
tedm
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
DSL is attenuated by gauge transitions in the wire so yes, when you replaced your 22 ga 20 year old bellcore with 24ga cat5 you probably happened to match the same gauge as the downlead from the street. It's also affected by poor connections. Your old connections could have gotten oxidized and just replacing the wire freshened them up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: