Set up guest network without broadcasting wifi signal

Wrynot
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:31    Post subject: Set up guest network without broadcasting wifi signal Reply with quote
Hi, this might seem a bizarre question, so let me explain. I like to turn off the wifi at night to protect my children's brains from emf radiation. Maybe emf will turn out to be harmless, but for now it is just a matter of prudence. I currently have an apple AirPort Extreme as my primary router, with a couple of airport express downstream. The AE has wifi turned off - the 2 airport extremes have wifi on, and are on power timer switches that turn them off at night. This allows all my Ethernet LAN to work 24/7 but wifi only during the day. But it has 2 major drawbacks - the apple routers give almost zero tools to analyse or control internet traffic, and secondly, I can't have a guest network - as this requires wifi to be turned on in the AE.

So - my plan is to put a DDWRT router ahead of the AE and use that for DNS etc - with the apple routers all in bridge mode. I would like to be able to have the DDWRT router create a wifi guest network, but not itself broadcast any wifi signal - that being done by the downstream apple routers in wifi mode. Is that possible? The router I have in mind is the asus ac56u. Another option would I suppose be a DDWRT router with removable wifi antennas!

Any advice great fully received
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
You cannot have wifi without wifi.

You can set dd-wrt routers to turn of wifi on a schedule using one hour increments fairly easily.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Wrynot
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the info - I bought a Linksys 1200 and have put DD-WRT on it. Only problem is that it does not appear to have any wifi scheduling, as you describe. Possibly this is a problem with the version of DD-WRT for thisuter. The functionality anyhow exists in the standard firmware - but there is a lot of other stuff that is missing e.g. bandwidth monitoring, so I would like to go with DD-WRT if I can solve this problem. Any thoughts on this? (the Linsys has 2 partitions so I can have both standard firmware and DD-WRT installed - but have to boot into one or the other

Any help, suggestions very gratefully received
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: