Asus RT-56R - Ad-Hoc Network (OLSR) Advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Author Message
cmobley7
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 23:57    Post subject: Asus RT-56R - Ad-Hoc Network (OLSR) Advice Reply with quote
To Whom It May Concern,

I bought 3 ASUS RT-56R, downloaded the most recent build of DD-WRT for them, DD-WRT v3.0-r31924 std (05/02/17), and successfully flashed them.

I wanted to setup an Ad-Hoc Mesh Network, OLSR specifically. I followed the steps on https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Mesh_Networking_with_OLSR and https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=37857. However, while I am able to access ip:8080 on each router, I cannot log into either the 2.4 or 5.0 wireless networks and the individual routers do not appear to be able to communicate with each other. Their route and links/topology table are empty.

My Current Setup
Gateway (Internet connected router)
--------

WAN: Automatic DHCP
STP: Disabled
Local IP: 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 0.0.0.0
DHCP Type: DHCP Server
DHCP Sever: Enable
Start IP Address: 192.168.1.50
Maximum DHCP User: 50
Client Lease Time: 1
Use DNSMasq for DHCP: Check Mark
Use DNSMasq for DNS: Check Mark
DHCP-Authoritative: Check Mark

SSID: OLSRV2.4
Mode: AD-HOC
Network Mode: Mixed
Wireless Channel: 11 - 2.462 GHz
Channel Width 20 MHz
Network Configuration: Unbridged
IP Address: 10.0.0.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Security Mode: WPA2 Personal
WPA Algorithms: AES


SSID: OLSRV5.0
Mode: AD-HOC
Network Mode: Mixed
Wireless Channel: 165 - 5.825 GHz
Channel Width 20 MHz
Network Configuration: Unbridged
IP Address: 10.1.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Security Mode: WPA2 Personal
WPA Algorithms: AES

Operating Mode: OLSR Router
Gateway Mode: Enable
Default Setting

Interface: Eth1 & Eth2
Default Setting

OLSR1
-----
WAN: Disabled
STP: Disabled
Local IP: 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1

DHCP Type: DHCP Forwarder
DHCP Server: 192.168.1.1

SSID: OLSRV2.4
Mode: AD-HOC
Network Mode: Mixed
Wireless Channel: 11 - 2.462 GHz
Channel Width 20 MHz
Network Configuration: Unbridged
IP Address: 10.0.0.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Security Mode: WPA2 Personal
WPA Algorithms: AES


SSID: OLSRV5.0
Mode: AD-HOC
Network Mode: Mixed
Wireless Channel: 165 - 5.825 GHz
Channel Width 20 MHz
Network Configuration: Unbridged
IP Address: 10.1.1.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Security Mode: WPA2 Personal
WPA Algorithms: AES

Operating Mode: OLSR Router
Gateway Mode: Disable
Default Setting

Interface: Eth1 & Eth2
Default Setting

OLSR2
-----
Same Setting as OLSR1 except IP address have all been increased by 1, 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.3.

In addition, I have also disabled the SPI firewall and ensure NAT was enabled.

Update 1:
I was able to get the router to see each by changing the wireless encryption to WEP. This was suggested in this post, https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=160814&highlight=olsr+setuphowever; however, this is almost as bad as having an open network. Is there any way to enable WPA2 and still have it work?

In addition, while they are able to see each other, I cannot ping them individually through telnet and the biggest issue is that I cannot see either the 2.4 or 5.0 Ghz network from the wifi card on my laptop and desktop.

Any help/direction on where I am going wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and attention to this matter. Have a great rest of the day.

Very Respectfully,
CMobley7
Sponsor
cmobley7
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 3:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bump
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 13 Aug 2013
Posts: 5219
Location: Akershus, Norway

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't understand what you want to achieve with ad-hoc. Why don't you configure it as an AP?

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-an-ad-hoc-wireless-network-2377409
https://www.lifewire.com/set-up-an-ad-hoc-peer-wifi-network-818272
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_ad_hoc_network
raminsomnia
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 08 Sep 2017
Posts: 18

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 15:04    Post subject: Re: Asus RT-56R - Ad-Hoc Network (OLSR) Advice Reply with quote
where did you download the latest firmware. could you plz share the link here ? I have three linksys e4200 routers and want to implement the OLSR

cmobley7 wrote:
To Whom It May Concern,

I bought 3 ASUS RT-56R, downloaded the most recent build of DD-WRT for them, DD-WRT v3.0-r31924 std (05/02/17), and successfully flashed them.

I wanted to setup an Ad-Hoc Mesh Network, OLSR specifically. I followed the steps on https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Mesh_Networking_with_OLSR and https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=37857. However, while I am able to access ip:8080 on each router, I cannot log into either the 2.4 or 5.0 wireless networks and the individual routers do not appear to be able to communicate with each other. Their route and links/topology table are empty.

My Current Setup
Gateway (Internet connected router)
--------

WAN: Automatic DHCP
STP: Disabled
Local IP: 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 0.0.0.0
DHCP Type: DHCP Server
DHCP Sever: Enable
Start IP Address: 192.168.1.50
Maximum DHCP User: 50
Client Lease Time: 1
Use DNSMasq for DHCP: Check Mark
Use DNSMasq for DNS: Check Mark
DHCP-Authoritative: Check Mark

SSID: OLSRV2.4
Mode: AD-HOC
Network Mode: Mixed
Wireless Channel: 11 - 2.462 GHz
Channel Width 20 MHz
Network Configuration: Unbridged
IP Address: 10.0.0.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Security Mode: WPA2 Personal
WPA Algorithms: AES


SSID: OLSRV5.0
Mode: AD-HOC
Network Mode: Mixed
Wireless Channel: 165 - 5.825 GHz
Channel Width 20 MHz
Network Configuration: Unbridged
IP Address: 10.1.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Security Mode: WPA2 Personal
WPA Algorithms: AES

Operating Mode: OLSR Router
Gateway Mode: Enable
Default Setting

Interface: Eth1 & Eth2
Default Setting

OLSR1
-----
WAN: Disabled
STP: Disabled
Local IP: 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1

DHCP Type: DHCP Forwarder
DHCP Server: 192.168.1.1

SSID: OLSRV2.4
Mode: AD-HOC
Network Mode: Mixed
Wireless Channel: 11 - 2.462 GHz
Channel Width 20 MHz
Network Configuration: Unbridged
IP Address: 10.0.0.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Security Mode: WPA2 Personal
WPA Algorithms: AES


SSID: OLSRV5.0
Mode: AD-HOC
Network Mode: Mixed
Wireless Channel: 165 - 5.825 GHz
Channel Width 20 MHz
Network Configuration: Unbridged
IP Address: 10.1.1.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Security Mode: WPA2 Personal
WPA Algorithms: AES

Operating Mode: OLSR Router
Gateway Mode: Disable
Default Setting

Interface: Eth1 & Eth2
Default Setting

OLSR2
-----
Same Setting as OLSR1 except IP address have all been increased by 1, 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.3.

In addition, I have also disabled the SPI firewall and ensure NAT was enabled.

Update 1:
I was able to get the router to see each by changing the wireless encryption to WEP. This was suggested in this post, https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=160814&highlight=olsr+setuphowever; however, this is almost as bad as having an open network. Is there any way to enable WPA2 and still have it work?

In addition, while they are able to see each other, I cannot ping them individually through telnet and the biggest issue is that I cannot see either the 2.4 or 5.0 Ghz network from the wifi card on my laptop and desktop.

Any help/direction on where I am going wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and attention to this matter. Have a great rest of the day.

Very Respectfully,
CMobley7
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 13 Aug 2013
Posts: 5219
Location: Akershus, Norway

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2017/
raminsomnia
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 08 Sep 2017
Posts: 18

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2017/


Thanks alot and could you plz tell me what is the suitable firmware which I can upgrade to for implementing OLSR ? for linksys e4200 . I was searching for the "DD-WRT v3.0-r30949 mega (12/15/16)" but couldnt find in the link you shared
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 13 Aug 2013
Posts: 5219
Location: Akershus, Norway

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
33006 is an OK build

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2017/08-03-2017-r33006/broadcom_K3X/dd-wrt.v24-33006_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega-e4200.bin

30949 is under the 2016 folder.
raminsomnia
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 08 Sep 2017
Posts: 18

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
33006 is an OK build

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2017/08-03-2017-r33006/broadcom_K3X/dd-wrt.v24-33006_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega-e4200.bin

30949 is under the 2016 folder.


Thanks for your reply and regarding your issues, I had the same issue couldnt ping routers indivitually from ssh however I unbridged every single interface including wifi and problem solved.knowing that I still havent applied any security to my wifi connections. you should also add the interface you wanna implement olsr on to the advanced routing section and save it without any change.

regards
Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum