flash asus ac3100 with fcc checks?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
beren
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:48    Post subject: flash asus ac3100 with fcc checks? Reply with quote
I just bought a pair of asus 3100s and I can't seem to get dd-wrt working on it. Do I need to downgrade the CFE or use the webserver or rescue utility or what? The latest asus firmware came on it already. I've been searching for an hour but can't find any solid leads…

Thanks!
Sponsor
beren
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Seems like any new asus firmware has a cfe update on it to lock it to only approved builds, and the cfe is also encrypted. Anyone know how to get dd-wrt onto routers bought in the last 8 months or so?
beren
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
anyone know how merlin works? do we need to use a specific wifi driver or something?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 22:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Rmerlin worjs just like stock firmware. You can't downgrade the cfe. They are encrypted.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's criminal that they decided to lock down these devices; all due to the lawsuit filed by NETGEAR against ASUS.

The FCC don't even have any authority where I am! Laughing

ASUS suggested they'd implement a workaround/method for flashing third party firmware but it never happened:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-firmware-will-change-the-verification-method.32357/

I'm sure they could've come up with a different solution to avoid users raising the power above legal limits.

I believe it's best to avoid any of ASUS' new models and later revisions of their best old models such as the AC68U.

ASUS-WRT is decent but it's a bit lacking feature wise.

There's a CFE dump here for models which can be downgraded/upgraded:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-routers-cfe-dumps-collection.17793/
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had an rt-ac3100 with dd-wrt posted here for sale but not one message about it. Sold it on eBay.
That leads me to believe not many care about these units being able to run dd-wrt.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
I had an rt-ac3100 with dd-wrt posted here for sale but not one message about it. Sold it on eBay.
That leads me to believe not many care about these units being able to run dd-wrt.

You're probably right Malachi. The vast majority don't care how it works or what system it runs as long as it does!

Not that I claim to know the inner workings of all these systems but I do know a bad one from a good one.

With any device that I purchase I'm looking for the ability to root, circumvent or otherwise change it - even I don't choose to.
So I favour Android over iOS, Fire OS, Windows Mobile. CynagenMod/Lineage over Touchwiz.
LibreELEC over Android, etc

I hate to see perfectly good devices get dumped in the bin due to lack of updates.
My old Galaxy S2 is still kicking with Lineage 7.1.2 instead of Touchwiz 4.0.4.
Admittedly it's getting a bit long in the tooth; a Galaxy S5 would make a nice jump up and it still has a removable battery.

The only thing I can't seem to change is my desktop.
I've tried various Linux distros over the years but always end up back on Windows. 99% of the software I use is there and WINE is hit and miss.

I've never had a single phone call over an old RT-N12 I set up as a repeater using DD-WRT some years back.
consorts
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Rmerlin works just like stock firmware. You can't downgrade the cfe. They are encrypted.

Shocked

anyone got an update on this?

i got a used ac3100, works fine with asus stock,

and i was able to flash BS dd-wrt to it just fine

however no matter what i do - the WAN won't come up.

is this how asus locks down this router from using dd-wrt?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
No. If you have dd-wrt on it it’s not locked down.
Did you power cycle your modem? After flashing the router, did you reset it?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
No. If you have dd-wrt on it it’s not locked down.

ok, good to know... i thought maybe asus was doing something evil to discourage other firmware besides merlin and the few others asus tolerates. anyway, i managed to get kong's firmware to work with the wan, but it has so many other bugs that i just gave up altogther on the DD's.
i had a bitch of a time getting the ac3100 back to stock, but my persistence paid off... after several hours of nvram wipes and tftp flashing Evil or Very Mad most of what i need is already in stock+merlin+scripts, so the only reason to bother with bs/kong would be to avoid trendmicro data mining. anyway, after wasting time failing to get a r7500v2 stable on any DD (i have since sold it on ebay) there's no way i'm going to repeat that farse. i guess my success with my older wrt1200v2 was a fluke... a router that actually works with dd-wrt without ripping your hair out in the process. all i really need is 6 ssid, lan qos, and lan static ips, all of which asus stock+merlin seem to manage fine, all while optimizing both ac3100's radios.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: