Xfinitiwifi Repeater Help

gil_happy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 18:48    Post subject: Xfinitiwifi Repeater Help Reply with quote
Hello,

We have a guest house on our property and I am trying to repeat / extend the WiFi signal to the guest house and I'm having difficulty.

Does anyone know if these instructions still apply / work?
https://www.reddit.com/r/techtutorials/comments/54oxsa/how_to_repeat_an_xfinitywifi_wifi_signal_as_your/

I have tried using this method (on my Linksys E900 as a simple test) and I'm unable to determine if I'm doing something incorrectly, or if this method no longer works since it does not appear to work for me.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsor
gil_happy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi again, thanks for the reply. I am an Xfinity customer (I pay for 2 accounts) so my existing laptop has been authorized and works on the xifinitywifi hotspot in a certain area of the guest house, so that is where I plan to install the DDWRT router. When I temporarily change my laptop to the MAC address of the DDWRT Router using 'macchanger', the XfinitiWifi hotspots asks me to authorize / authenticate my device. Once I login with my user / pass, I can successfully surf, so I then change my laptop back to the original MAC and I can continue to surf. FYI, Comcast allows you to essentially authenticate 5 MAC addresses for free hotspot access.

Yes, I would definitely prefer to use just a single device to handle everything. So my Linksys E900 to receive the xfinitywifi SSID, and then create a SSID for the guest house, e.g. 'guest-house-network'.
gil_happy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, here is what I have done to start over today:

- I changed my MAC address of my laptop to that of my DDWRT router I plan on using for this experiement.
- I then connect with my laptop to the xfinitiwifi hotspot and confirmed I can surf no problem.
- The network info while connected to the hotspot while on cloned MAC address is:

- IP = 10.238.x.x
- gateway = 10.224.0.1
- mask = 255.224.0.0
- dns = 75.75.75.75 and 75.75.76.76

- Then changed my laptop back to the original MAC address
- Performed a factory reset on my router to start from the beginning and have begun looking at:
https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode_Wireless

Now I'm just trying to determine what values need to be plugged into the DDWRT router based upon the tutorial and my values.
gil_happy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 15:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just wanted to give a quick update after performing some additional testing. I have tried also testing with a Wi-Fi Extender/Access Point that I purchased from Amazon a while back and it does not appear to work either. Here is what I did:

- cloned the MAC address of this device to my laptop, and then authorized it on the xfinitywifi network.
- restore my laptop wifi back to the manufactures MAC address.
- configured the Amazon device as a WiFi Adapter / WiFi Bridge and associated it to the xfinitywifi netowrk.
- once it rebooted, I connected a laptop to the ethernet port of the Amazon device and no internet access.

As an FYI, I don't think you can just 'repeat' the xfinitywifi signal as you can do with other WiFi signals that I have successfully done in the past as I believe there is something networking wise that they do to restrict this type of behavior.

To answer your question about matching other settings beside MAC address (IP, gateway, DNS, etc.) when cloned to the laptop, I don't think you need to match the IP, but I think somehow the gateway and DNS are involved.

Lastly, I can provide some logging (route -n, etc) if anyone is interested.
gil_happy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, after further testing it appears I have this working when the DDWRT router is set to 'client' mode. When set to 'client' mode, I can connect a laptop to the DDWRT via Ethernet and can grab an IP address and surf the net.

** I have some questions about my network settings and want to make sure they are correct so that I get maximum throughput, low latency, etc.

When I connect my laptop (with the cloned MAC address of the DDWRT router) wirelessly to the xfinitiwifi hotspot, after I authenticate, my laptop pulls the following network info:

IP = 10.238.x.x
gateway = 10.224.0.1
mask = 255.224.0.0
dns = 75.75.75.75 and 75.75.76.76

Then I restored the laptop back to it's default MAC and configured the DDWRT router as follows:

- Under 'Setup', then 'Basic Setup'
- Then 'Wireless Setup'
- Connection Type = Automatic Configuration DHCP

- Under 'Network Setup'
- Local IP set to: 10.238.x.1 (management)
- Subnet Mask to: 255.255.255.0
- Gateway to: 0.0.0.0
- Local DNS to: 0.0.0.0

- Under 'Wireless', then 'Basic Settings'
- Wireless Mode = 'client'
- Wireless Network Mode = Mixed
- Wireless Network Name = xfinitywifi

- Under 'Security', then 'Firewall'
- SPI Firewall = Enable
- All all the boxes 'unchecked'

- The router WAN interface in DDWRT when associated to xfinitywifi displays as 10.229.x.x.

Then, when my laptop is connected to one of the LAN ports of DDWRT via Ethernet, I get the following network info:

- IP = 10.238.x.x
- Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0
- DNS = 10.238.x.1 (basically this is the management IP of DDWRT. Should this be 75.75.75.75 instead?)
- Gateway = 10.238.x.1 (again, this is the management IP of DDWRT. Should this be 10.224.0.1?)

I just want to confirm the the network info is correct so that I'm not interfering with the xfinity traffic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: