Asus RT-N16

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
quadcopters675
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 17:26    Post subject: Asus RT-N16 Reply with quote
hi
I have an Asus RT-N16 router. I am hoping to upgrade the antennas on the router it has 3 rp-sma connectors on it do I have to use all 3 slots or can I just use one? And what antennas are good for long range about 300m?

Thanks
Quadcopters

Sponsor
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
You probably need to use all three and any directional antenna that works at the wifi frequencies of the router should work and usually the more directional the antenna the higher gain it is but please note however directional antennas are only good for point to point communication so it is not generally good for wifi usage if you know what I mean.
quadcopters675
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:25    Post subject: 2.4ghz Wi-Fi antenna's Reply with quote
Hi
Could you recommend some relatively cheap 2.4ghz Wifi antennas(directional and omni directional) the have a range of up to 200m. I was thinking about getting 3 of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003JO7BCO/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=
Does anyone know the range of these a antennas?

Also what is Tx power and what should a change it to to get the best range of my router (I have Asus RT-N16)

Thanks
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 0:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please note that range is not determined by the antenna alone. There are a lot of factors that will affect the effective range. Environment plays an important role in determining the effective range. As radio waves are traveling in straight lines, any objects or obstacles will attenuate the signal. So before you invest on the so call omni-directionel (a very misleading term, how can it be omni and yet directional) antenna as per your link, may be you should tell us the overall picture of your setup as well as the environment including your goal, i.e. what you want to achieve. The information that you provided, 200m~300m range is not sufficient for us to see the big picture. Are you thinking of repeating signals between two locations? Or are you living in a farm and you hope your router can cover the whole area with 200m radius? More details will help us in giving you more and better suggestions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: