trouble with 22118 on ASUS RT-N16 - did I brick my router?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
slobodan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I guess this comes a bit late, nevertheless:

Set a static IP to your computer:

Computer IP: 192.168.1.5
Net mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1

The way of putting the router in recovery mode is pressing the red little button for 15 sec, keep pressing it and then press with a pen the recovery button, keep pressing both for another 15 sec, release the red button, keep pressing with the pen until you get TTL=100 or the power LED blinks slowly (instead of fast blinking).

If Asus restoration tool does not do the job, try this in cygwin:

tftp -4 -m binary 192.168.1.1 -c put dd-wrt.v24-14929_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N16.trx

Then:

mtd erase nvram
mtd erase ddwrt
mtd erase linux
reboot

Then it pings again with TTL=100 (it does this by itself).

Then again:

tftp -4 -m binary 192.168.1.1 -c put dd-wrt.v24-14929_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N16.trx

After 5 minutes cut the power off from the router. Wait 10 sec and do the power back on.

Then flash build 21530 (choose reset to defaults). Then flash a recent K3.x build (don't reset the settings).

Basically, you should not ever reset its settings. If you do and gets bricked, do again what is written above.

2 times RT-AC56U running DD-WRT 45493 (one as Gateway, the other as AP, both bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Asus RT-N16 shelved

E4200 V1 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Linksys WRT610N V2 converted to E3000 and 1 original E3000 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

Sponsor
qubit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
slobodan wrote:
The way of putting the router in recovery mode is pressing the red little button for 15 sec, keep pressing it and then press with a pen the recovery button, keep pressing both for another 15 sec, release the red button, keep pressing with the pen until you get TTL=100 or the power LED blinks slowly (instead of fast blinking).

For me I just hold the "restore" button for about 3 seconds while plugging the power in. Recently had to do it a few dozen times because it seems that in addition to not running `nvram clear` from the CLI, you also should not do "Restore Factory Defaults" from the UI, as that also hoses it, and to recover you have to do the `mtd erase` stuff.
huurrickane
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 23:57    Post subject: Asus RT-N16 no longer runs DD-WRT Reply with quote
I'm raising the dead on this thread but after many hours attempting to install DD-WRT K3.X on an Asus RT-N16 I wanted to add to this thread that it's not possible.

Flashing the mini K2.6 14929/22118/36808 firmware works every time but whether you "Reset to Defaults" right after or not and then flash K2.6 21530 special firmware (Reset Defaults or Not), the result is a "No Power LED" or ping response bricked router. Reflashing 14929, running erase commands and restarting this process changes nothing.

Yet if I go download AdvancedTomato's newest version and flash one firmware file. Tomato runs perfectly. I've tried other combinations of DD-WRT firmware as well and I can't get over how broken the installation instructions are for this router on DD-WRT. After 10 hours working on this I'm done trying.
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: