Configuring dd-wrt OpenVPN client w/ PureVPN: Some Advice

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
hubermania
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:05    Post subject: Re: Uhhhhh Reply with quote
sploit wrote:
You have a single core 600mhz processor.
and not the best one either. I'd say your max speeds would 14 Mbps over aes-128-cbc
But try these settings as your ADDITIONAL CONFIG and use UDP
reneg-sec 0
keepalive 10 120
disable-occ
sndbuf 524288
rcvbuf 524288

I too have a 600MHz processor. Cool Thanks for the boost! Wrung a nice speed increase from my AES-256-CBC UDP link.

DanSan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
DD-WRT v3.0-r30965M kongac (12/21/16)
Netgear R7000

I am using PureVPN and OpenVPN. All is working well, yay!

How would I go about forcing certain local IPs to use the ISP WAN, like a VOIP device and streaming devices that would use Netflix?

Or rather, how would I set certain IPs to bypass OpenVPN in DD-WRT?
DanSan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
DanSan wrote:
DD-WRT v3.0-r30965M kongac (12/21/16)
Netgear R7000

I am using PureVPN and OpenVPN. All is working well, yay!

How would I go about forcing certain local IPs to use the ISP WAN, like a VOIP device and streaming devices that would use Netflix?

Or rather, how would I set certain IPs to bypass OpenVPN in DD-WRT?

This is what I managed to find and implement. It worked for me.

Quote:
https://www.ivpn.net/knowledgebase/124/DD-WRT---How-do-I-exclude-hosts-or-bypass-VPN-tunnel.html

nvram set no_vpn_lst="10.10.1.16 10.10.1.233 10.10.1.246"
nvram commit

#!/bin/sh
sleep 30
NO_VPN_LST=`nvram get no_vpn_lst`
[ -z "$NO_VPN_LST" ] && exit 0
WAN_GWAY="0.0.0.0"
while [ $WAN_GWAY == "0.0.0.0" ]; do
sleep 3
WAN_GWAY=`nvram get wan_gateway`
done
ip route add default via $WAN_GWAY table 10
for ipa in $NO_VPN_LST; do
ip rule add from $ipa table 10
done
ip route flush cache
exit 0

I inserted this in the Firewall. Now I can remotely connect home with PureVPN on through OpenVPN in DD-WRT, but this would let me remote in through my ISP's provided WAN IP.

My goal here, as my desktop computer has two ethernet ports, is use the LAN#1 for usual internet traffic and LAN#2 for exceptional (as in what I designated) traffic. LAN#2 will receive traffic through my ISP WAN, LAN#1 goes through OpenVPN.

Also helps with video streaming devices, or VOIP devices so they will bypass the VPN.
uderr01
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 22:18    Post subject: Re: Exactly, or atleast Reply with quote
sploit wrote:
Ok everyone, here is a freebie from my business http://sploitworks.com

PureVPN is such a rotten company I feel sorry for everyone.

This is a automated script to install PureVPN on your DDWRT Routers.

Make sure OpenVPN Client is Disabled and Your Router has a WAN connection so it can get out to my .com name and grab the file.
##############################################################################

1) Login to your DDWRT router and go to ADMINISTRATION... COMMANDS

Paste the following code into it.

eval `wget -q -O - http://sploitworks.com/vpnsetups/purevpn-has-rotten-manuals.swi`

2) The router will reboot.

3) When the router comes back up go to the Services... VPN tab and enter your PureVPN username and password and also whatever server you want. Do not change anything else. AT ALL

4) Press Apply at the bottom of the page.

5) Now go to Status... OpenVPN

You should see "Connected Success"

##############################################################################

Enjoy

Let users in here know it worked for you and share your results.

I have automated scripts for all other Major VPN's (Top 25 like IPVanish, PrivateInternetAccess, StrongVPN, ExpressVPN, NordVPN, etc...) also, but I hustle them and they are also guaranteed to work.

Your Welcome

Also @ eibgrad...

Please edit your top post to remove all that crap. It isn't needed and will only confuse people. Wink

I ran the script. Took a little while and wasn't sure if it was working because it didn't do the normal reboot. It seems to be working fine. I'll know in a couple of hours, that is usually when the last script set I had would fail and I had to release/renew.

I play a lot of online games. Would it be better for me to run UDP? Sploit you script had it set for TCP, didn't know if I could change it without messing anything up.
sploit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 0:58    Post subject: Hmmmmm Reply with quote
Their UDP ports are unreliable. I couldn't get any stability on them at all.

I am sure if I spent another 8 hours tweaking I could perfect it. I had a ton of trouble with them on udp.

I hate that service :/

For changing to UDP you would need their current UDP port and set the proto to UDP.

That being said, UDP is faster but you shouldn't be gaming over 256 Bit encrypted tunnels anyway.

If you want to game and need speed you should be on PIA.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 19:53    Post subject: How to change PureVPN Servers Reply with quote
First of all, THANK YOU for your script that allowed me to connect to PureVPN. Spent the last 2 weeks trying various VPN providers and VPN protocols and finally got a setup that works.

I am located in Tampa and was wondering what I have to do to change the PureVPN server to one closer to me.

Thanks.
BCG34609
sploit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 21:39    Post subject: Login Reply with quote
Login to your ddwrt router and go to Services... VPN... and under openvpn client change the server to the purevpn florida server.

usfl-ovpn-tcp.pointtoserver.com

All of the .ovpn files that purevpn has, has the the server names located within the files.

Here is the zip file.

Inside the zip are .ovpn files that you have to open in your flavor of a notepad and find the server name for the city or country closest to your location.

Your welcome.

Also... I may start working on getting the udp fine tuned today or tomorrow.

Sorry, I corrected the server to be for tcp. I had posted the udp server.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 18:41    Post subject: PureVPN Server in Miami Reply with quote
Thanks!

This worked great! Just hope they don't start changing things.
wanda
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Це дуже цікаво.

royal1688
qylie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:38    Post subject: THANKS Reply with quote
Thanks for all the advice and scripts and EVERYTHING in this forum! THANK YOU sooo very much!
uderr01
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 13:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
What are the thoughts on the following for use with Xfinity?

Buffered

IPVanish

NordVPN

ExpressVPN

VPNArea

Hidemyass
PeterTosh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 17:22    Post subject: pureVPN why ME Reply with quote
Hi your script for the setup worked
Thanks

Im getting good speeds 36 .6 down 10 .5 up
my android TV and vusolo are behind the router now ..
can i use them as normal.

woooooow just did another check sweden conneced to UK
165. 5 down 11,6 up
questions
1 useing PUre VPN
1 ) its TCP connection is that the only way
Can I use UDP and port 53
2) My firewall is disabled what do i need to do ..

if i turn it on i lose connection s
Heres the Firewall page for my dd-wrt version 3.0

Additional Filters
Filter Proxy
Filter Cookies
Filter Java Applets
Filter ActiveX

Block WAN Requests
Block Anonymous WAN Requests (ping)
Filter Multicast
Filter WAN NAT Redirection
Filter IDENT (Port 113)
Block WAN SNMP access

Impede WAN DoS/Bruteforce
Limit SSH Access
Limit Telnet Access
Limit PPTP Server Access
Limit FTP Server Access

Connection Warning Notifier

Connection Warning Notifier
Warning NotifierEnable Disable
Connection Limit
(Default: 500)
Email SMTP Server

this is the 1st day of a 2 year contract shall I change to Express VPN or Nord VPN Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
deonrobinson
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 22:30    Post subject: Re: Configuring dd-wrt OpenVPN client w/ PureVPN: Some Advic Reply with quote
I ran the script following the instructions. But I keep getting a "Client: RECONNECTING tls-error"

Any suggestions?

Cheers!

eibgrad wrote:
The reason for this post is that PureVPN refuses to post it on their own forums (managed by DISQUS). And so I'm posting here both for posterity's sake, and as a reference for users of PureVPN and dd-wrt.

Of course, this is the situation as of today (2/6/2017), and things might change/improve in the future. But as of now, there are so many errors in their instructions, I feel compelled to correct them. And if not at PureVPN (preferred), then at least here.

For the record, here's their current instructions for OpenVPN w/ dd-wrt.

http://support.purevpn.com/how-can-i-configure-openvpn-on-my-dd-wrt-router

Before getting into the details, please be extremely careful in copying anything over from their webpages and directly into the dd-wrt router's config. Apparently the author used a word processing editor, and in many places that editor has turned double quotes (") into enhanced quotes (which are more curly), and double dashes (--) into enhanced double dashes (which look more like a longer single dash). The problem is pervasive. This will drive you batty because it will appear to be correct, but Linux will not be able to read it.

Some good examples of this problem are w/ the username/password script, and the alternate script, specifically the openvpn command line.

With that issue aside ...

1. Do NOT change anything on the Security->Firewall page.

2. You *must* enable NAT and Firewall Protection on the OpenVPN client GUI or else LAN clients behind the router will not be able to use the tunnel. The router itself will be fine and appear, for all other purposes, to be functioning normally.

3. The following startup script and the corresponding auth-user-pass directive in the Additional Config field are only necessary if the OpenVPN client GUI doesn't have the User Pass Authentication option (an enhancement made a couple years ago w/ some dd-wrt builds). Just enable it and specify the username and password there.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
touch /tmp/user.txt
echo -e "purevpn username\npurevpn password" > /tmp/user.txt

Even if you find it necessary to use auth-user-pass and the above startup script, the first two lines are unnecessary. The last one will suffice (no point in consuming precious internal router storage (aka nvram) if you don't need to).

Personally, I find that last line confusing. It almost appears as if the word "purevpn" must precede the username and password. I'm sure that's happened to at least a few people. A better script would be the following, where you instruct the user to replace the words username and password w/ their actual PureVPN username and password.

Code:
echo username > /tmp/user.txt
echo password >> /tmp/user.txt

Simple and to the point. This is also more consistent w/ their instructions for the alternate script.

4. I advise to never to use any scripting provided by the VPN provider (this one probably got me banned/censored Smile ). There's absolutely no reason the OpenVPN GUI shouldn't work. With scripting, you may lose access to other features in the GUI, like Policy Based Routing or updates to the OpenVPN status page.

If you decide to use their alternate script anyway, beware there are others errors beyond just the enhanced double dashes (which itself is enough to prevent execution). For example, there is no OpenVPN directive called --down-pre that takes a script/command as an option. Rather, --down-pre takes no argument, and its sole purpose it to tell the OpenVPN client to call the script associated w/ the --down directive *before* the tunnel is closed rather than after (the default).

The following is a corrected version of the alternate script (w/ some minor additional changes as well).

Code:
echo username > /tmp/user.txt
echo password >> /tmp/user.txt
/usr/bin/killall openvpn
sleep 3
/usr/sbin/openvpn --config /tmp/openvpncl/openvpn.conf --route-up /tmp/openvpncl/route-up.sh --down-pre --down /tmp/openvpncl/route-down.sh --daemon

5. Although optional, it's not a bad idea to enable nsCertType. This checks to make sure the certificate from the OpenVPN provider is of type "server" (as opposed to "client"). This is an additional layer of security to protect against man-in-the-middle attacks where an authorized client attempts to connect to another client by impersonating the server. Now don't panic if this causes the connection to fail. It's most likely the VPN provider didn't specify the certificate type when the certificate was generated. And in that case, just don't check the nsCertType option.

In general w/ OpenVPN, less is more. Avoid the temptation to start messing w/ this or that option, esp. if you don't know what they do. Most of the time the defaults will work. Ppl tend to *over* config the router, and that just creates opportunities to make more errors.
drewbert3370
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 13:29    Post subject: purevpn with plusnet and dd-wrt Reply with quote
i am very sorry if this has been explained before but i have read so much im going cross eyed,

i am a newbie so please be gentle

i have a plusnet hub one for my internet
i have a linksys e900 running dd-wrt

i would like to use the dd-wrt with my purevpn account using udp not tcp on openvpn

therefore whatever i connect wirelessly through dd-wrt uses the vpn.

please explain how to do this including what ports on back of routers go to where.

im thick so please be nice, thanks
Bunsen
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 14:04    Post subject: Re: purevpn with plusnet and dd-wrt Reply with quote
drewbert3370 wrote:
i am very sorry if this has been explained before but i have read so much im going cross eyed,

i am a newbie so please be gentle

i have a plusnet hub one for my internet
i have a linksys e900 running dd-wrt

i would like to use the dd-wrt with my purevpn account using udp not tcp on openvpn

therefore whatever i connect wirelessly through dd-wrt uses the vpn.

please explain how to do this including what ports on back of routers go to where.

im thick so please be nice, thanks

I think it's all explained in this thread.
What issue[s] are you having?
What's working? What isn't?
What version of dd-wrt are you using?

Have you tried the script from sploit's website: http://sploitworks.com
==================
sploit wrote:
1) Login to your DDWRT router and go to ADMINISTRATION... COMMANDS

Paste the following code into it.

eval `wget -q -O - http://sploitworks.com/vpnsetups/purevpn-has-rotten-manuals.swi`

2) The router will reboot.

3) When the router comes back up go to the Services... VPN tab and enter your PureVPN username and password and also whatever server you want. Do not change anything else. AT ALL

4) Press Apply at the bottom of the page.

5) Now go to Status... OpenVPN

You should see "Connected Success"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 11
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: