Help with security problems regarding setting up a hotspot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Ricky Romero
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:05    Post subject: Help with security problems regarding setting up a hotspot Reply with quote
Hi all,

I recently picked up a shiny new Netgear gigabit wireless N router. So far, I love it. I wish it ran DD-WRT though!

Before I had this router, I had a lovely Linksys WRT54GL router which I installed DD-WRT on and ran successfully for about a year. What I want to do with that router now is create an open WiFi hotspot for my neighbors in my apartment complex.

Now, before I get into my questions, here's a chart of what my network looks like.

One of my fears is that someone will use my connection to download movies on BitTorrent or something and then the MPAA will sue me for a million billion dollars. Now, there's probably nothing I can do to stop people from using BitTorrent, but I've gone into the access restrictions and filtered out BitTorrent and a few other P2P protocols. I figure if they're smart enough to change the ports and enable encryption, they'll be smart enough to use SafePeer or something. What do you think, is that enough? Should I do more to try to stop people from using P2P?

Something else I want to do is lock down the access that my DD-WRT router has to the network so that people can't get to any of my other computers. I don't have any idea about how to do this. I imagine that it's something I'll have to configure in my Netgear.

I'd like to also use QoS to set bandwidth speed caps (something equivalent to the speed of a T1 line or so, so that it's nice for the casual Internet user but doesn't eat up all my bandwidth), but my video game consoles are also connected to this router, and I haven't figured out a way to control QoS on the WiFi only. From what I've seen, the QoS settings not only apply to WiFi, but also to clients connected via Ethernet.

Lastly, I'd like to be able to log the activity on my WiFi network. I took a quick look through DD-WRT and I couldn't find any settings for logging wireless clients. What would be nice to have is access to the MAC addresses of each machine that connects to the network and how much bandwidth they consume per day. If they consume something like a couple of gigabytes *every single day,* I'd like to use that information to add them to the WiFi blacklist. (I'm on Comcast, and I know they have bandwidth caps.)

I don't expect one person to have answers to all my questions, but that's what a forum is for!
Sponsor
joksi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
In short terms, you can setup the WRT with firewall rules to block traffic to the Netgear network subnet. Then your wireless hotspot clients cant accidentally reach your own private LAN on the Netgear, but still have access to the Internet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: