Ipkg update: not resolvingdownloads.openwrt.org

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author Message
roadstarwizard
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 19 May 2008
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:31    Post subject: How do I use the optware scripts and access the drive?????? Reply with quote
Ok guys I am new at this so be gentle. I have a wrt350n just installed the new shinji and bkmo build. Attached usb drive and downloaded the optware scripts. Now at this point I am lost how to access the drive as I wish to do so remotely. Would greatly appreciate some direction as how to make it all work. I believe it mounted the drive but am unsure and have no clue how to use samba.

Please be gentle I am learning alot and having fun with it.
Sponsor
bkmo
DD-WRT User


Joined: 18 Oct 2007
Posts: 385
Location: Grecia, Costa Rica

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 14:49    Post subject: Re: How do I use the optware scripts and access the drive??? Reply with quote
roadstarwizard wrote:
Ok guys I am new at this so be gentle. I have a wrt350n just installed the new shinji and bkmo build. Attached usb drive and downloaded the optware scripts. Now at this point I am lost how to access the drive as I wish to do so remotely. Would greatly appreciate some direction as how to make it all work. I believe it mounted the drive but am unsure and have no clue how to use samba.

Please be gentle I am learning alot and having fun with it.

First of all I think the 350N setings should be disable USB2 support, and ENABLE the OHCI module. In order for Samba to work you have to have extracted the tarball to the root of the /OPT partition. This partition must be formatted as ext2 or ext3. If this is true then samba should have enabled some shares visible via network neighborhood/places on your windows box. You should also have shares available via ftp on port 21. There is also "SWAT" (samba web admin tool)running on port 901. You can telnet into the router to to see via a "ps" command if xinetd, smbd, and nmbd processes are running. Also via "mount" to see what was mounted and what filesystem etc.
roadstarwizard
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 19 May 2008
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:28    Post subject: access to USB drive Reply with quote
Shocked Confused What does all that mean? I believe its linux. Ok so I will have to use linux or can this be done from dos or in windows. If only in linux I guess I have alot of learning to do? Any suggestion on where to start and what to download? Im willing to learn something new but WOW.
bkmo
DD-WRT User


Joined: 18 Oct 2007
Posts: 385
Location: Grecia, Costa Rica

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:16    Post subject: Re: access to USB drive Reply with quote
roadstarwizard wrote:
Shocked Confused What does all that mean? I believe its linux. Ok so I will have to use linux or can this be done from dos or in windows. If only in linux I guess I have alot of learning to do? Any suggestion on where to start and what to download? Im willing to learn something new but WOW.

I will help you, but in a couple of days. I am travelling to Boston today for 6 weeks and hopefully will have broadband there.
myhtpc
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 20 Dec 2007
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey everybody,

I also try to get my WRT350N to work with USB harddisk. I would need NFS as well as samba to exchange my current Buffalo NAS.

Here's what I did so far:
I have flashed the Router with
"v24finalnokaidusb4m9517.bin"
and configured the settings.
Here I enabled USB 2.0 as well as both filesystems

Than I have formatted a flash-drive with ext2 and copied the opttarball3 files into the root. (as I have a couple of small USB-Sticks my idea is to use a USB Hub with USB-Stick for Optoware and HDD for shared storage - I hope this works ;-)

Unfortunately, It seems, that optoware doen't load the samba and other stuff.

Here my mount:
Quote:
root@DD-WRT:~# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type squashfs (ro)
none on /dev type devfs (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
ramfs on /tmp type ramfs (rw)
/dev/mtdblock/4 on /jffs type jffs2 (rw)


my ps:
Quote:
root@DD-WRT:~# ps
PID Uid VSZ Stat Command
1 root 1624 S /sbin/init noinitrd
2 root SW [keventd]
3 root RWN [ksoftirqd_CPU0]
4 root SW [kswapd]
5 root SW [bdflush]
6 root SW [kupdated]
9 root SW [mtdblockd]
12 root 1604 S /sbin/watchdog
50 root SWN [jffs2_gcd_mtd4]
77 root 1604 S resetbutton
166 root 1832 S /usr/sbin/telnetd
172 root 2524 S httpd -p 80
185 root 2260 S /sbin/wland
186 root 816 S dnsmasq --conf-file=/tmp/dnsmasq.conf
276 root 704 S cron
289 root 1536 S dropbear -b /tmp/loginprompt -r /tmp/root/.ssh/ssh_ho
347 root 1604 S /tmp/ppp/redial 30
349 root 1572 S ttraff
353 root 1440 S nas -P /tmp/nas.wl0lan.pid -H 34954 -l br0 -i eth0 -A
445 root SW [USBLEDprobe]
446 root SW [khubd]
512 root 1632 S /usr/sbin/pppd file /tmp/ppp/options.pppoe
541 root 1604 S process_monitor
552 root 1848 S -sh
556 root 712 S inadyn --input_file /tmp/ddns/inadyn.conf
1055 root 1836 R ps


and my dmesg:
Quote:
root@DD-WRT:~# dmesg | grep usb
usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
usb.c: registered new driver hub
usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=2 (error=-71)
usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=3 (error=-71)



The router doesn't accept my stick. I have also tried a 2,5"HDD and both together with an USB Hub, but everytime I got the same problem.

Unfortunately I'm a kind of Newbe in Linux with quite limitted knowhow, so any linux commands or tipps would help to identify and solve the problem

Thank's in advance

myhtpc
bkmo
DD-WRT User


Joined: 18 Oct 2007
Posts: 385
Location: Grecia, Costa Rica

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
MYHTPC I do not think modules are loading. Can you do an cap of "lsmod" ?
myhtpc
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 20 Dec 2007
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi bkmo, thanks for your support.

Here the log:
Quote:
root@DD-WRT:~# lsmod
Module Size Used by
ip_nat_pptp 2428 0 (unused)
ip_conntrack_pptp 2860 1
ip_nat_proto_gre 1664 0 (unused)
ip_conntrack_proto_gre 2568 0 [ip_nat_pptp ip_conntrack_pptp]
vfat 11692 0 (unused)
fat 36840 0 [vfat]
ehci-hcd 20460 0 (unused)
usb-storage 34072 0 (unused)
ext2 43800 0 (unused)
usbcore 76344 0 [ehci-hcd usb-storage]
sd_mod 12500 0 (unused)
scsi_mod 95720 1 [usb-storage sd_mod]
bcm57xxlsys 154128 1
jffs2 159080 1


Cheers myhtpc
bkmo
DD-WRT User


Joined: 18 Oct 2007
Posts: 385
Location: Grecia, Costa Rica

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
myhtpc wrote:
Hi bkmo, thanks for your support.

Here the log:
Quote:
root@DD-WRT:~# lsmod
Module Size Used by
ip_nat_pptp 2428 0 (unused)
ip_conntrack_pptp 2860 1
ip_nat_proto_gre 1664 0 (unused)
ip_conntrack_proto_gre 2568 0 [ip_nat_pptp ip_conntrack_pptp]
vfat 11692 0 (unused)
fat 36840 0 [vfat]
ehci-hcd 20460 0 (unused)
usb-storage 34072 0 (unused)
ext2 43800 0 (unused)
usbcore 76344 0 [ehci-hcd usb-storage]
sd_mod 12500 0 (unused)
scsi_mod 95720 1 [usb-storage sd_mod]
bcm57xxlsys 154128 1
jffs2 159080 1


Cheers myhtpc

Drivers are loading, but the device is not being loaded for some reason. I do not think your device has an EHCI controller. Disable USB EHCI and enable OHCI only.
myhtpc
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 20 Dec 2007
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks bkmo

I have reconfigured your USB GUI by enabling OHCI and disabling UHCI as well as USB 2.0 support.

Now the device is recognized (I have formatted a HDD with 1GB ext2 partition and 38GB FAT32 partition; the ext2 partition includes your tarball files).

Does that mean, that I only have USB 1.1 support? ? ? (I know that the WRT350N Router should have USB 2.0 support).

Here's what I get:
Quote:
root@DD-WRT:~# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type squashfs (ro)
none on /dev type devfs (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
ramfs on /tmp type ramfs (rw)
/dev/mtdblock/4 on /jffs type jffs2 (rw)
/dev/discs/disc0/part1 on /opt type ext2 (rw,noatime,nodiratime)
/dev/discs/disc0/part1 on /tmp/usb/disc0/part1 type ext2 (rw,noatime,nodiratime)
/dev/discs/disc0/part2 on /tmp/usb/disc0/part2 type vfat (rw,noatime,nodiratime)
ramfs on /etc/profile type ramfs (rw)


So, first problem solved (partly because USB 1.1 issue).

Now I hoped to get FTP and SAMBA running, but that seems to be not the case.
How can I see, if FTP and samba are running?

I tried to understand, how startup process works, and from what I understand, /etc/config/usbmount.startup has to be processed, but here I get errors:
Quote:
root@DD-WRT:~# /etc/config/usbmount.startup
/etc/config/optprograms.sh: line 33: /opt/etc/init.d/S10xinetd: Permission denied
/etc/config/optprograms.sh: line 33: /opt/etc/init.d/S23swapfile: Permission denied
/etc/config/optprograms.sh: line 33: /opt/etc/init.d/S80samba: Permission denied
/etc/config/optprograms.sh: line 33: /opt/etc/init.d/S80thttpd: Permission denied


any idea what happens?

thanks upfront

Rolling Eyes myhtpc
bkmo
DD-WRT User


Joined: 18 Oct 2007
Posts: 385
Location: Grecia, Costa Rica

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
myhtpc wrote:
thanks bkmo

I have reconfigured your USB GUI by enabling OHCI and disabling UHCI as well as USB 2.0 support.

Now the device is recognized (I have formatted a HDD with 1GB ext2 partition and 38GB FAT32 partition; the ext2 partition includes your tarball files).

Does that mean, that I only have USB 1.1 support? ? ? (I know that the WRT350N Router should have USB 2.0 support).


You mean you cannot run with USB 2 enabled? Also how did you extract the tarball? Did you untar it on the router itself, or through windows? Looks like a linux permissions issue such as the files were copied to the partition with improper permissions., or cannot be found because the directory structure is not correct.
Make sure that they do not wind up mounted as /opt/opt/ or something. You can use winscp to access the router via ssh to manipulate the files with a windows type explorer interface.

Bkmo
myhtpc
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 20 Dec 2007
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
ad1)
yes, once I enable USB 2.0 router doesn't mount device

I have unzipped tarbal with 7z under windows:

here are the steps:
1.)partitioned the HDD with acronis disk manager
part1: ext2
part2: FAT32
2.) copied tar file to partition 1
3.) unzipped with 7z, that files start directly in root (\bin, \...)

Should I format this partition again in ext2, copy tar onto it and untar it from telnet console?

If so, what would be the command / steps for this?

;_) myhtpc
bkmo
DD-WRT User


Joined: 18 Oct 2007
Posts: 385
Location: Grecia, Costa Rica

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
myhtpc wrote:
ad1)
yes, once I enable USB 2.0 router doesn't mount device

I have unzipped tarbal with 7z under windows:

here are the steps:
1.)partitioned the HDD with acronis disk manager
part1: ext2
part2: FAT32
2.) copied tar file to partition 1
3.) unzipped with 7z, that files start directly in root (\bin, \...)

Should I format this partition again in ext2, copy tar onto it and untar it from telnet console?

If so, what would be the command / steps for this?

;_) myhtpc

How did you access the partition under windows? I would reformat the partition, copy the tarball using winscp to the root of the mounted partition (mounted on the router) then untar it there. tar -xf filename.tar.gz . That way you will have the linux permissions intact on all the files. Don't worry about the usb 2 as the Linksys USB devices don't really move data at USB 2 speeds anyways.
myhtpc
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 20 Dec 2007
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi bkmo,

thanks for your advice. It seems to work (partly) now, but I'm getting closer. At least, I can access via FTP and SAMBA Laughing

Unfortunately, FTP is quite slow (I have approx. 750 - 900 KB/s while transfering a video file from PC to WRT350N).

What is best practise for this?

With SAMBA, I couldn't store anything on the Routers's harddisk. Explorer sais: files are too big for harddisk (but I have ~ 38GB free on this pratition).

Do you have any ideas?

Wink myhtpc
bkmo
DD-WRT User


Joined: 18 Oct 2007
Posts: 385
Location: Grecia, Costa Rica

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
myhtpc wrote:
Hi bkmo,

thanks for your advice. It seems to work (partly) now, but I'm getting closer. At least, I can access via FTP and SAMBA Laughing

Unfortunately, FTP is quite slow (I have approx. 750 - 900 KB/s while transfering a video file from PC to WRT350N).

What is best practise for this?

With SAMBA, I couldn't store anything on the Routers's harddisk. Explorer sais: files are too big for harddisk (but I have ~ 38GB free on this pratition).

Do you have any ideas?

Wink myhtpc


Now that you have it running you are probably running into limitations of Linux or Samba. To tell you the truth I am not a guru of either one. It may be time for you to use google as your resource for answers.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum