New RT-AC66U Hardware Revision - B1

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Were you trying to access DD via 192.168.1.1 or another IP address?
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Sponsor
mikeinnc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 13:09    Post subject: Curioser and curioser...... Reply with quote
Well, it seems like an Alice in Wonderland tale! Yes, I was trying to access the router via 192.168.1.1 with both a static computer IP of 192.168.1.5 and .10 (I know that shouldn't make a difference, but I'd seen one online comment suggesting .10 and you get to the point where you will try anything!). Anyway, not wanting to give up, after reinstalling the Asus firmware via their reset application, I thought I'd try again. Strange thing - after holding reset button in for probably a good minute (while applying power) the power LED extinguished. Didn't blink - just went out. So, I tried to access the router and wow - the CFE miniWebServer! Amazing. So now, following the wiki instructions, I restored NVRAM values and uploaded the dd-wrt firmware. It told me it was successful, but then the next strange and inexplicable effect - it must have taken well over five minutes after rebooting before the computer received an IP address. But when it did - dd-wrt screen in all its glory! Why? How? I have no idea! Could I repeat this? Probably not. It just works! But again, it does seem to take an inordinately long time to reset after rebooting. 5 to 10 minutes isn't unusual. So maybe the moral is - don't give up (although I was awfully close to doing so......) Thanks to everyone for support!
taggg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Glad you got it working.

That is weird that your power LED doesn't blink when you're in rescue mode.

I noticed that the Asus documentation on firmware restoration now quotes 192.168.1.10 as the static IP address for connecting to the router in rescue mode. Was that the IP address you used? I thought rescue mode was built into the router, so it would be surprising if that changed.
mikeinnc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:53    Post subject: Finally!! Reply with quote
taggg wrote:
Glad you got it working.

That is weird that your power LED doesn't blink when you're in rescue mode.

I noticed that the Asus documentation on firmware restoration now quotes 192.168.1.10 as the static IP address for connecting to the router in rescue mode. Was that the IP address you used? I thought rescue mode was built into the router, so it would be surprising if that changed.

To be honest, I can't recall. It's distinctly possible as I had used .5 and it didn't work. I certainly had another problem that threw me for a while, and is worth repeating. I'd set up a fair number of static leases for various devices, and I noticed that the DHCP server, although enabled, was constantly stopped. It appears that 'unacceptable' characters in the static lease list will do this. What ones? No-one has answered my request to know, although certainly a # or a - in a device name seem to be a problem. I've replaced them all with an underscore and problem disappeared. Router is now running well, and seems to be holding up with great performance. Thanks to all concerned for your help! Smile
zdjh22
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 21:07    Post subject: Success, but stock firmware has yet a different IP address Reply with quote
I purchased last week an RT-AC66U-B1, firmware 3.0.0.4.385. production year 2020. I opened it to access the serial port. On all boots as observed on the serial console the CFE attempts 10 times to solicit a tftp connection, followed by standard booting - this makes for a long delay before the router comes online (roughly 10 seconds per tftp solicitation IIRC).

The instructions to get into recovery mode do work, but it takes almost a minute holding the reset button down after powering up before the power LED goes off. On the serial port, I saw 10 tftp attempts, followed by the power LED going on, another 10 tftp attempts, followed by the power LED going off. So the "flashing power LED" has a very slow flashing rate (a couple of minutes per cycle).

My router's IP address in the CFE, both in recovery mode and in the standard boot, was 192.168.50.1! So beware, the IP address for recovery mode might differ from what you expect. In either recovery mode or during the 10 TFTP attempts on a standard power on, the CFE recovery web page is accessible. However, in both modes I found that the upload time for the firmware exceeded the time for the 10 TFTP attempts to finish (as viewed on the serial console), so "success" was never noted on the web page and the upload always failed. Instead, I followed a suggestion earlier in this thread and used a tftp client from a computer connected to one of the RT-AC66U LAN ports, configured on the 192.168.50.0 subnet. On the serial console, the tftp attempt "count down" (it's actually a count up) stopped during the upload, and there was a message at the completion of the upload and an automatic reboot. DD-WRT joy resulted after the boot completed.

I'm currently running r34080 in access point mode with no problems yet noted.
mikeinnc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:28    Post subject: Had to revert Reply with quote
Another episode in the long running saga! I've actually had to revert to the Asus firmware, as with DD-WRT installed, I started to get real problems with obtaining an IP address from my ISP when I rebooted the device. At first, waiting some 10 minutes or so was - I assumed - because I'd swapped one router for another, and the ISP was reacting accordingly. But that time delay got longer - and longer - and longer, until in the end, waiting for over an hour and still not getting a WAN IP address became intolerable. In fact, I reinstalled my TP-LINK router (with DD-WRT I should add) and got a WAN IP address almost immediately. Not wanting to ditch my new router, it seemed that the only approach was to revert to the Asus firmware, which I've done and it works - exactly as it should. I realise that the AC66 B version isn't directly supported, but it's a great pity this seems to be the way forward, as I have been super pleased with DD-WRT on various routers over the years, and would dearly like to stay with it.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
And we have no idea what build version of DD-WRT you were running.

----------------------
mikeinnc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:10    Post subject: RT-AC66U Hardware Revision - B1 Reply with quote
Apologies - I thought I had mentioned it previously, but perhaps I wasn't as clear as I might have been. So, to be very clear, I followed the wiki details at https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-AC66U_B1 and chose the latest version mentioned in that document - which is: 03-05-2020-r42617. As I said previously, it 'sort-of' worked but just would *not* get an IP address on the WAN port. My 'old' TP-LINK router (TPLINK TL-WDR4300 v1) flashed with DD-WRT v3.0-r27858 std (09/28/15), works perfectly. Every time.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wikis aren't always up-to-date information. I would consider testing the most recent release (r45993 as of this post):

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2021/03-12-2021-r45993/asus-rt-ac68u/

----------------------
mikeinnc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:52    Post subject: Asus RT-AC66U-B1 Reply with quote
Well, the tale of woe continues. I decided to leave the router alone for a while out of sheer frustration, but curiosity got the better of me and rather than leave a $160 device sitting on the shelf, I thought I'd have another go. So. taking advice, I flashed the router with v3.0r45993std - the latest version for the associated RT68 device. Of course, as I'd mentioned before, if you have even just one 'dash' or a 'hash' in a static device name, dnsmasq fails and there is no LAN DHCP. But I'm aware of that now!! (Underscrore is OK, btw). So, slowly set-up the device following the same configuration (or as much as possible) as my well-tried and working TP-Link device. The big moment arrives. Connect to the internet via the fibre interface device with ethernet cable (same one that's been working for a few years!) to the WAN port. And no matter what I do - NO DHCP address on the WAN. So, in despair try new tried and tested cable - same problem. So then try to get a DHCP address from the other working device plugged into WAN port. Nope! Nothing I do will make that d****d WAN port get an address!! Oh, it had - earlier in the setting-up process, so clearly something in the set-up - a set-up, remember, that works perfectly on a current dd-wrt flashed TP-LINK router! - stuffs the WAN port. Completely and utterly. DHCP - presumably from dnsmasq - works on LAN ports exactly as expected. But WAN port? Nope. Nothing. If there is anything that anyone can advise me - well, I'd be eternally grateful. This just SO frustrating!
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 15:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
You may have to power cycle / reset your ISP equipment - if that is an option - and then do the same with the Asus. Worst case is you call your ISP and see if it's a MAC address issue of the Asus being different, or you can try cloning the TP-Link MAC address. Also, the current release is now 46329:

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2021/04-13-2021-r46329/asus-rt-ac68u/

----------------------
Zantetsuken
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:04    Post subject: Updated AC66U B1 HW Ver B2 initial flash Reply with quote
I experienced something similar when I bought this router in january, it was a AC66U B1 HW Ver. B2, and I followed slightly different steps to the initial flash, I will rewrite what is in the wiki and provide some updated instructions that made mine work:

1. Download the latest AC68U build.
2. Take a look at the network address your router is currently on, in my experience it was in the 192.168.50.0 subnet.
2.1. Go into the default router's web interface and try updating the firmware to the Asus official latest firmware.
3. Turn the router off (power button out and all LEDs off).
4. Connect your computer to a LAN port of the router.
5. Give your computer a static IP address of 192.168.50.5 or 192.16.50.10, netmask 255.255.255.0. (Gateway and DNS don't matter.)
6. Press and hold the router reset button (small button next to the power button).
7. With the reset button held, press the router power button to turn it on.
8. Still holding the reset button, wait for the power LED to blink or turn off (this can take up to 30 seconds or more and will cycle very, very slowly). This indicates we are in rescue mode.
9. Let go of the reset button (the power LED should remain blinking, again, very slowly).
10. Use a browser on your computer to navigate to 192.168.50.1. You should see the CFE web UI.
11. Click Restore default NVRAM values. (This is optional, but a good idea to get things back to a clean state).
12. Wait for 10 - 20 seconds, then go back to 192.168.50.1
13. As a preemptive measure, we won't let the website timeout during the file upload, so use Firefox to upload the file, go to about:config and set the value of network.http.connection-timeout from 90 seconds to something higher like 900 or 1800 seconds.
14. Upload the firmware file from 1. via the CFE web UI. The upload will take a couple of minutes, and if successful, the router will say it copied a certain file of x bytes and the router will reboot automatically, this will last about 3 minutes.
15. Remove the static IP address for your computer to allow it to receive an address from the router.
16. Disable and re-enable your computer's network adapter to reset the connection to the router.
17. After that the router will boot to the CFE web UI on 192.168.1.1, Click Restore default NVRAM values.
18. Wait for a reboot and use a browser on your computer to navigate to 192.168.1.1. You should see the DD-WRT Web Interface.

These are the steps I could gather from this forum and added some steps by trial and error, if someone knows a better way of doing it please state it!
mikeinnc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:28    Post subject: RT-AC66U Hardware Revision - B1 - working!! Reply with quote
Well, thanks so much for all the very useful hints and tips. I must say that - at long last! - I have the router successfully working with firmware v3.0-r46380 std. And whilst one can never be certain, it looks as though the 'golden tip' here was to replicate my previous router's WAN IP address. I must admit, it wasn't something I thought would make a difference, but it has and it does. Now, I get a WAN IP address almost immediately, and it stays. It's interesting as my ISP support people (who are very good, and usually very accurate) advised me that, even with a new router attached to the fibre NTD, it should be recognised after a few minutes and 'deliver' a new IP address. Well, it didn't! But with MAC spoofing, it does. Why didn't I try this earlier? Who knows!!

I do have a peculiar situation, though. I use a 32GB USB 'stick' on my router, shared via samba and holding a few files that I might need anywhere on the network. Although I reformatted this as Linux Ext2 (on a Linux machine) it constantly shows up on the USB tab of the Services area as 'Ext4 file system'. I'm absolutely sure it's not - I've reformatted it a couple of times and made absolutely sure that I choose Ext2 using GParted. On the NAS tab, I see a red 'Format' button at the base, with a default of Ext4. I tried setting this to Ext2 and pressing 'Format'. The device seemed to hang for a minute or so, and when it 'returned' it's still saying Ext4 on the USB tab. It's not a showstopper, and the drive is happily shared by Windows and Linux machines, but is this a bug?

Anyway, a much faster and greater range wifi system and a very happy DD-WRT user! Thanks again for all the assistance - and if my issues help someone else - all well and good! Smile
mikeinnc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, in the last post I may have again spoken too quickly. It would be fair to say that I have had endless problems with something that really should be simple! I refer to using a 32GB USB thumb drive to store files (not many!) that I might need anywhere on the network ie just a data drive. This used to be absolutely seamless on my older TP-Link router, but it seems to be a nightmare on the Asus AC-66U. The router has two USB ports - a USB3 on the front and a USB2 on the rear. Obviously, the front port is both easier to get to and should be faster (My thumb drive is also a USB3 device). So, using the wikis as a guide,I tried with a EXT2 format. Nope. It caused the router to hang and could only be fixed by powering off. OK tried exFAT. Same problem. FAT32. Nope. EXT3. Nope. EXT4. Nope. In fact - and here's the joke! - the only format that seems not to hang the router is NTFS. The one I would have least thought likely to work on a Linux system! I should add that if the router is rebooted, the device 'disappears'. But I've found a tip that works - disable and then enable again the drive in the USB tab and it magically appears again. But it really does seem very flakey - something I never, ever had in my older version. There's a lot of info out there, but most of it appears to be very old, or just plain wrong. So - if anyone has any better ideas of how to setup a fairly simple shared data drive on a modern DD-WRT system - I'd be really happy to hear it. It can't be that hard if it's been done before. Can it? Rolling Eyes
mikeinnc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:09    Post subject: RT-AC66U Hardware Revision - B1 - USB just not working Reply with quote
No replies to my last post about USB problems, so I'll add the latest issues. As I mentioned, the entire USB infrastructure appears to be very flakey. Here's just one of the issues that is bedevilling me. When (and it really is when!) I manage to get the USB drive to show up, this is what I see under the USB tab:

--- /dev/sda
Block device, size 29.81 GiB (32008830976 bytes)
DOS/MBR partition map
Partition 1: 29.81 GiB (32007782400 bytes, 62515200 sectors from 2048)
Type 0x07 (NTFS/HPFS)
NTFS file system
UUID 61A3F259281BB2FA
Volume size 29.81 GiB (32007781888 bytes, 62515199 sectors)
/dev/sda not mounted Unsupported Filesystem

--- /dev/sda1
Block device, size 29.81 GiB (32007782400 bytes)
NTFS file system
UUID 61A3F259281BB2FA
Volume size 29.81 GiB (32007781888 bytes, 62515199 sectors)
/dev/sda1 mounted to /tmp/mnt/USBShare

So WHY do I see TWO 'partitions' and I'm advised the first /dev/sda is 'unsupported', but then underneath I see what is an identical partition /dev/sda1 that IS mounted? I just do not understand - and just to add that this anomaly appears whatever partition format I use ie it is NOT exclusive to NTFS (which recall appears to be the only format that appears to work......)

But it gets worse. This morning, I had to reboot the router. On coming back up - no USB drive shown. Oh that's right - disable and then enable the USB support. OK, did that and sure enough, the drive showed up. Same as before, of course - apparently two partitions - one unsupported and not mounted and then the same one mounted. Oh well - let's check the disk contents. WHAT? NO FILES?? Yep - apparently an empty disk. Except it isn't - if I pull the USB stick out and put it in a (Linux) computer, all the files are there. Nothing lost at all.

This is impossible. None of it makes any sense at all. Is there anyone out there that has any information about what is going on? I'd be so grateful to hear it!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 5
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: