Linksys eSata port multiplier support

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Author Message
Wag
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 31 Mar 2015
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:39    Post subject: Linksys eSata port multiplier support Reply with quote
The stock Linksys firmware supports eSata port-multiplier on my 8 bay JBOD Mediasonic box, unfortunately no build of DD-WRT does. They all see only 1 drive, while the Linksys firmware sees all 8.

Yes, I can use USB 3.0, but it seems to be considerably slower in DD-WRT than it is with the stock firmware, and eSATA is usually faster and more stable.

Any chance of implementing this in a future build?
Sponsor
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 15 Dec 2010
Posts: 4354
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:46    Post subject: Re: Linksys eSata port multiplier support Reply with quote
Wag wrote:
The stock Linksys firmware supports eSata port-multiplier on my 8 bay JBOD Mediasonic box, unfortunately no build of DD-WRT does. They all see only 1 drive, while the Linksys firmware sees all 8.

Yes, I can use USB 3.0, but it seems to be considerably slower in DD-WRT than it is with the stock firmware, and eSATA is usually faster and more stable.

Any chance of implementing this in a future build?


It is just a flag in kernel compile, so can be added anytime.

_________________
KONG PB's: http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/
KONG Info: http://tips.desipro.de/
Wag
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 31 Mar 2015
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
eSATA port multiplier support would be great. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would find this useful- it opens up the world of cheap eSATA JBOD boxes.

Stability is a concern too. I noticed that your releases tend to be generally more unstable when it comes to hard drive read/writes. The hard drives tend to disappear ever so often during use and I have to reboot the modem and remount them manually. The Linksys firmware is generally solid.

I also noticed that hard drive throughput is also considerably slower on DD-WRT using USB 3.0 than the Linksys firmware is (WRT1200AC). I tend to average ~50Mbps writes with DD-WRT and ~60Mbps with Linksys. (Compare that when the bay is connected directly to my PC w/USB 3.0 which gets >~100Mbps writes.)

I know there are all sorts of factors which go into the network throughput (overhead, etc), but I thought the Linksys routers were supposed to have among the fastest USB 3.0 hard drive read/writes? I've never got more than ~70Mbps writes using eSATA and the Linksys firmware.
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 15 Dec 2010
Posts: 4354
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wag wrote:
eSATA port multiplier support would be great. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would find this useful- it opens up the world of cheap eSATA JBOD boxes.

Stability is a concern too. I noticed that your releases tend to be generally more unstable when it comes to hard drive read/writes. The hard drives tend to disappear ever so often during use and I have to reboot the modem and remount them manually. The Linksys firmware is generally solid.

I also noticed that hard drive throughput is also considerably slower on DD-WRT using USB 3.0 than the Linksys firmware is (WRT1200AC). I tend to average ~50Mbps writes with DD-WRT and ~60Mbps with Linksys. (Compare that when the bay is connected directly to my PC w/USB 3.0 which gets >~100Mbps writes.)

I know there are all sorts of factors which go into the network throughput (overhead, etc), but I thought the Linksys routers were supposed to have among the fastest USB 3.0 hard drive read/writes? I've never got more than ~70Mbps writes using eSATA and the Linksys firmware.


Are you using NTFS on that drive? NTFS opensource module is crap. You should use EXT fs. Not sure how good current exfat is.

OEMs usually have a license for a closed source ntfs/exfat fat driver that we cannot use.

_________________
KONG PB's: http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/
KONG Info: http://tips.desipro.de/
Wag
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 31 Mar 2015
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 0:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:

Are you using NTFS on that drive? NTFS opensource module is crap. You should use EXT fs. Not sure how good current exfat is.

OEMs usually have a license for a closed source ntfs/exfat fat driver that we cannot use.


I don't think Linksys' Firmware reads EXT. I'm using NTFS right now. I'll try formatting a hard-drive and copying over some stuff to it using DD-WRT and compare the speeds.

Unfortunately I have terabytes of info already in NTFS format- transferring it over isn't really practical. But if it's that much faster I might consider it.

Edit: I formatted a 2TB drive in a single USB 3.0 enclosure to ext4 and through the Linksys firmware I got ~60Mbps writes. So no difference.

I will put it in my JBOD box and try eSATA. Unfortunately I can't test eSATA with DD-WRT until port multiplier is supported.
adriansuri
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 01 Oct 2017
Posts: 39

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 22:38    Post subject: Re: Linksys eSata port multiplier support Reply with quote
[quote="Wag"]The stock Linksys firmware supports eSata port-multiplier on my 8 bay JBOD Mediasonic box, unfortunately no build of DD-WRT does.

I purchased a RaidSonic ICY BOX IB-3640SU3 - hard drive array using DD-WRT v3.0-r33772 std (11/16/17) while I might have had to fiddle about with the drive box, sync mode, dd-wrt via esata can see both drives I have in my drive array

regards

Adrian
stefan33
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 05 Feb 2018
Posts: 32

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
So NOW in 2018 eSata por multiplier is not supported?
If I use one eSata drive what is the best Filesystem to format the drive to make it working on wrt1900acsv2 and Windows 7 pc clients? Thank you.
Buddlespit
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 20 Sep 2013
Posts: 13
Location: Chesapeake, VA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 13:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
stefan33 wrote:
So NOW in 2018 eSata por multiplier is not supported?
If I use one eSata drive what is the best Filesystem to format the drive to make it working on wrt1900acsv2 and Windows 7 pc clients? Thank you.


Depends on how you're using it. SMB and NFS allow you to use ext4. If it's a pass-thru, then Windows will only recognize NTFS or FAT (extensions can be added to allow Windows to read ext4. For a price)). EXT4 is a tried and true fs.
stefan33
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 05 Feb 2018
Posts: 32

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok I think you can help me in a few seconds as I see you know routers... I have 1900ACSv2 with Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r35034 std (02/17/1Cool.

If I want to connect one usb or eSata hard drive like I have done... Why is not correct to format the drives in NTFS? If I need only to share with windows pc?
Many thanks.
Buddlespit
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 20 Sep 2013
Posts: 13
Location: Chesapeake, VA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
stefan33 wrote:
Ok I think you can help me in a few seconds as I see you know routers... I have 1900ACSv2 with Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r35034 std (02/17/1Cool.


I do NOT know routers. I did NO research before buying this hunk of dog-poo. It was at Office Max, I had remembered that Linksys was a good router company many years ago. And I was tired of spending $50-$100 on routers that would last maybe 1-2 years. I have a drawer full of routers that I can turn into switches, but the wifi is burnt out.

But I know Linux. And most small electrical appliances use Linux in some form.

stefan33 wrote:
If I want to connect one usb or eSata hard drive like I have done... Why is not correct to format the drives in NTFS? If I need only to share with windows pc?
Many thanks.


Microsoft owns NTFS. DD-WRT would have to pay Microsoft to use NTFS.
adriansuri
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 01 Oct 2017
Posts: 39

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 13:07    Post subject: re port Multiplayer esata/usb Reply with quote
HI I have Linksys WRT1900ACS 2, Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r35244 std (03/05/1Cool
while I have not used the stock Linksys firmware for a while I am sure
it could read ext formated drives

As for dd-wrt, it does support eSata port multiplier hard drive arrays, it might be a bit fiddly but it does work.
Also you may loose drives occasionally but in most parts it works.

If you have problems, let's say you have to turn off your router, as it's froze
and when you reboot your drives don't show up! open up an ssh session
and type in df or mount to see if your drives show up,
you could also look in the web gui in services/usb or services/nas to see if you can
see your drives

If your drives don't show, ssh to your router and issue the command reboot,
wait for your system to come back on line and
re-check to see if it shows, this can take a number of reboots, normally in my case about 3
(see screen shots) then the drives can be used
Hope this helps, I'm no expert but I have got it working. Personally
I use Ext4 on "hard drives" as it is a
stable file system

Kind Regards

Adrian
adriansuri
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 01 Oct 2017
Posts: 39

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 14:14    Post subject: f2fs-tools Reply with quote
just as an after thought, I have noticed a package
called f2fs-tools, via opkg, does anyone know if dd-wrt supports the f2fs file system

Regards

Adrian
Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum