TP-Link TL-WA860RE Rev. V1.X (Unofficial Support)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
BrechREiZ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:46    Post subject: TP-Link TL-WA860RE Rev. V1.X (Unofficial Support) Reply with quote
Hello everyone!

On advice of user @VSparxx I decided to open a separate thread for the TL-WA860RE devices.

This thread is based on my post I made in the WA854RE thread. All files and references mentioned in the following quote are referenced to this WA854RE thread.

BrechREiZ wrote:
radiantdoge wrote:
Can I try this on TL-WA860RE v1.1

I got DD-WRT running on my WA860RE V1 by going through the following steps (looks more like it actually is Laughing).

I had to go the openwrt route because the original TP-Link firmware will not allow you to flash the factory-to-ddwrt-wa854rev1.bin image attached in the first post of this thread, because the version and hardware information provided in that image is not compatible with what the TP-Link firmware expects.

OpenWRT instead has a working factory image.
After you have openwrt running, you are able to flash any other image by using "sysupgrade -F" command, which ignores board and software version (is risky if you flash an image for other hardware!).
But this is what we need, because it allows us to flash the DD-WRT image without asking silly questions Wink

• be sure you have the most recent TP-Link original firmware installed
  • download the OpenWRT factory image for the device: http://downloads.openwrt.org/barrier_breaker/14.07/ar71xx/generic/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wa860re-v1-squashfs-factory.bin (openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wa860re-v1-squashfs-factory.bin)
  • open your browser and login to the TP-Link web interface of your WA860RE
  • flash the OpenWRT image at the firmware update page
  • give your PC a static IP in the 192.168.1.X IP-range (if you don't have one already) e.g. use 192.168.1.2.
  • open your browser and go to http://192.168.1.1, default login is root without password
  • go to "System - Administration" and set a password, then scroll down and hit "save & apply" (this is necessary to get SSH login)
  • download the factory-to-ddwrt-wa854rev1.bin from the first post of this thread (you must be registered and logged in!)
    It is absolutely necessary to flash this file first!
  • copy it to your WA860RE by using "scp factory-to-ddwrt-wa854rev1.bin root@192.168.1.1:/tmp" (this command is for linux, maybe there is another way for windows users)
  • connect via SSH to your WA860RE (ssh root@192.168.1.1) and type "cd /tmp"
  • type "sysupgrade -F factory-to-ddwrt-wa854rev1.bin" and press enter
  • the image will be flashed and your WA860RE will reboot
  • now wait until the "dd-wrt" wireless network appears, then connect to it (this important, because the wired connection will not work out of the box, only after changing some configurations)
  • open your browser and connect to http://192.168.1.1 (maybe you must free your browser cache because your browser still tries to use the permanent redirect he knows from OpenWRT)
  • go to the setup page and change WAN config to "disabled", then scroll down and check the "add WAN to switch" checkbox
  • save and apply
  • now your WA860RE will be accessible also via wired connection at 192.168.1.1 and you can do the update shown in the first post of this thread and config it as you want Smile

This worked for me (WA860RE V1.0), but I will not give any guaranty that this works on WA860RE V1.1.

If you are using Microsoft Windows on your PC you might use a program like WinSCP to copy the image into /tmp after you flashed OpenWRT and a tool like Putty to connect via SSH.
Maybe a windows user here can help you.

As the user @jaylaurie pointed out here this procedure seems to work also on revision 1.1 devices:
jaylaurie wrote:
[...]
For future reference, this worked for me with v1.1 hardware.

Thanks to @VSparxx for the base image and knowledge!

BrechREiZ

Last edited by BrechREiZ on Wed Oct 26, 2016 17:31; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
iTmd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I followed you steps. I had openwrt working succesfully.

I couldn't find the 'factory-to-ddwrt-wa854rev1.bin' file. (i wasn't logged in)
So I've did a sysupgrade with 'ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/10-06-2016-r30731/tplink_tl-wa901ndv3/tl-wa901ndv3-webflash.bin'

Now I don't see the DD-wrt wireless network and wired doesn't work either. I guess it's bricked.

Now that i've logged in to this forum I see the correct file.
wdesponts
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 18:35    Post subject: Installing DD-WRT on TL-WA860RE Rev 1.1 Using MS windows Reply with quote
First let me just state that the instructions posted by @BrechREiz where great and made the process of flashing this neat little Range Extender a relative breeze. I'd like to share some of the extra steps that I needed to undertake to do the update via MS Windows.

1) As stated in the original instructions, it is advisable to download all the necessary files before starting.
      A)openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wa860re-v1-squashfs-factory.bin
      B)factory-to-ddwrt-wa854rev1.bin
      C)tl-wa901ndv3-webflash.bin

2) Download and install Bitvise SSH Client
      A) Used to copy the Factory-to-ddwrt-wa854rev1.bin file

3) Flash the router to Openwrt as per instructions
    4) Connect to the router (Now with Openwrt) as per instructions
    5) Set password as per Instructions
    6) Launch and configure Bitvise
      A) In the login Tab enter:
        1) Host (192.168.1.1)
        2) User Name (root)
        3) Set Initial method to password
        4) Enter your password (you set in step 5)

B)In the SFTP Tab
        1) Enter C:\ in the Initial Directory (Local)
        2) Enter / in the Initial Directory (Remote)
        3) Set Upload mode to Binary in local

7)Click on Login
      A) The system will open a terminal in Opwnwrt but not open the File tranfer screen.
      B) This is ok as Openwrt does not have SFTP installed.

Cool Install SFTP on the router by typing the following commands:
      A) opkg update
      B) opkg install openssh-sftp-server
      C) Retun to the Bitvise screen and click on logoff

9) Transfer the file factory-to-ddwrt-wa854rev1.bin to the router
      A) Click on Logon (This time the transfer window will open)
      B) Navigate within the window to the location of the file "factory-to-ddwrt-wa854rev1.bin"
      C) Transfer the file to the /tmp folder

10) Launch the system upgrade to dd-wrt
      A) Activate the terminal window
      B) Type
      Code:
      sysupgrade -F factory-to-ddwrt-wa854rev1.bin
      to launch the firmware update process
      C) Wait and be patient..it take a moment
      D) When you see a WIFI router named dd-wrt return to the Bitvise window and click on Logoff

11) Follow the remainder of the instructions as per @BrechREiZ's post above.

PS: To save you time here are some of the high level steps I needed to complete the install and config.

1) Navigate to Admin -> Firmware Upgrade and upgrade using the following "tl-wa901ndv3-webflash.bin"
    2) Configure the router as a repeater as per instructions in here:
    A) [url]"http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge#Qualcomm_Atheros[/url]"
    B) Make sure to follow the instruction for Qualcomm Atheros (section 4)
    3) Change the IP address of the router/repeater
      A) This is dependent on your configuration but I have my main router at 192.168.2.1 and wanted to be able to access the repeater from that network.
      B) To make this happen in Setup -> Basic Setup I set the following:
        1) Local IP: 192.168.2.3
        2) Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
        3) Gateway: 192.168.2.1

C) Now I can access the router/repeater from anywhere in the network.

Best of luck.

PPS: The current build does not have functioning lights/LED. For me this is a non-issue but if this is critical for you this hack is not for you. Try keeping your reouter on Openwrt. I noticed when I was playing around in there to activate SFTP that there where set-ups for the lights.
    IIMezII
    DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
    Thanks for the help.
    But I am a rookie in this area and need some hand holding.

I am not sure what to put in 6B after C:\
    what should I be putting for "in the Initial Directory"

Also my router's IP is 192.168.1.1 and so now that my range extender (via OpenWRT) has the same IP I can't connect to the internet and the range extender. So therefore can't connect to the bitvise servers to get the downloaded files to install sftp.

What can I do?
    TassaDarK
    DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
    Hi! Google brought me here Very Happy

Question for people who have this wifi extender: can you use it as 'access point' with DD-WRT installed on it?

I mean, using ethernet port for connection to router (with stock firmware ethernet port works only for giving access to a client, connection to router has to be wifi only).

Thank you!
    plahh
    DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 14:56    Post subject: Re: TP-Link TL-WA860RE Rev. V1.X Reply with quote
    Can confirm this still applies and works like a charm.
    mindfreez
    DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
    I started this process.. to find that the file is no longer on the original post. Is there an updated file? I'm trying to find factory-to-ddwrt-wa854rev1.bin or whatever has taken it's place. Thank you for any help!
    dantease
    DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
    Installed successfully on my WA860RE, much better than the stock TP-Link firmware.

Has anyone had success flashing any build newer than 31791? Someone on the original WA854RE seems to have successfully fllashed 38937, but I'm wary of flashing any untested build on such an essential home device.
    pfromero
    DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 23:56    Post subject: can we use WA860RE as an "Access Point" Reply with quote
    TassaDarK wrote:
    Hi! Google brought me here Very Happy

Question for people who have this wifi extender: can you use it as 'access point' with DD-WRT installed on it?

I mean, using ethernet port for connection to router (with stock firmware ethernet port works only for giving access to a client, connection to router has to be wifi only).

Thank you!

Hi guys (and gals),

I am very excited about the prospect of installing dd-wrt and using my WA860RE as an access point, just like the other member. I am a Windows user and a novice to routing software AND from experience, not very good at setting up networks, either LOL.
    I got through the instructions on this page until it mentioned Linux.
    I tried the Windows instructions, but like the other newbie, I need hand holding re: directories to put all the files in etc. I have the required SW and files, though, Thank You!
    My Cellular Modem is a Franklin A850 with maximum 10 users, and we have 20 devices, thus the need for an access point.
    My modem is at 192.168.128.1 and DHCP serves from .10 thru .100, but I dont even know if I need this.
    My TPLink Repeater needs to be setup so that it's antennas receive the signal from the wireless modem and transmit it via Cat 5 to a wifi router/DHCP server. Can anyone help me?

Thank you,

Paul
    pfromero
    DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 20:04    Post subject: anyone willing to do a setup of the above post's equipment.? Reply with quote
    You will be paid!
    Via Skype or other multimedia chat.
    $35/hr. min $35

Thanks,

Paul ............paul at redstonenv dot com

ps need access point to provide dhcp wifi behind a cellular router and connect everyone to internet. (i.e. use the WA860Re antennas to connect to cellular modem and then connect via cat5 to wifi router.
    dantease
    DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 15:53    Post subject: LEDs working Reply with quote
    Got LED status indicators working with a custom script I made myself.

Wi-Fi is green for good signal, amber for poor signal, off for no signal.
    Power is green for normal operation, amber for Wi-Fi disconnected.
    Ethernet is green for connected and off for disconnected, though I haven't tested this yet.

Code is here for anyone who wants it. To use:

1. Go to Administration > Commands
    2. Paste the script code at the end of this post into the Commands textbox
    3. Hit Save Custom Script
    4. To make it run every time the extender reboots: Clear everything in the Commands textbox and type:

Code:
      sh /tmp/custom.sh &

5. Hit Save Startup
    6. To make it run now: The textbox should still contain "sh /tmp/custom.sh &" after the page reloads, if not paste it again. Then hit Run Commands.
    dantease
    DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 16:01    Post subject: Re: anyone willing to do a setup of the above post's equipme Reply with quote
    pfromero wrote:
    ps need access point to provide dhcp wifi behind a cellular router and connect everyone to internet. (i.e. use the WA860Re antennas to connect to cellular modem and then connect via cat5 to wifi router.

To clarify, you want the WA860RE to (1) connect to a modem over Wi-Fi and (2) transmit that data to a separate Wi-Fi router over Ethernet?

If the above is correct, the WA860RE does it just fine. Did it myself once. Just set it up in Client Mode to connect to your modem (tutorial here). Then connect your Wi-Fi router to the Ethernet port - should work right there. If it doesn't work then perhaps you can try enabling Assign WAN Port To Switch in Setup > Basic Setup, but personally I didn't need it.

If you follow the linked tutorial your WA860RE will be doing DHCP for your network, so you should disable DHCP on your separate Wi-Fi router.

Good luck!
    pfromero
    DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 16:22    Post subject: can we use WA860RE as an "Access Point" Reply with quote
    Hi There,

Thank you for your great and instructive post. This morning, I talked with my wife, and she is having the cable company install a modem. IF I could rewind the clock a few weeks, it would be great! The Cellular companies should have offered us an unlimited both in users and bandwidth home internet product and service by now. Their greed is the root cause of this issue.

Paul
    j911
    DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 18:23    Post subject: Re: LEDs working Reply with quote
    dantease wrote:
    Got LED status indicators working with a custom script I made myself.

Wi-Fi is green for good signal, amber for poor signal, off for no signal.
    Power is green for normal operation, amber for Wi-Fi disconnected.
    Ethernet is green for connected and off for disconnected, though I haven't tested this yet.

Code is here for anyone who wants it. To use:

1. Go to Administration > Commands
    2. Paste the script code at the end of this post into the Commands textbox
    3. Hit Save Custom Script
    4. To make it run every time the extender reboots: Clear everything in the Commands textbox and type:

Code:
      sh /tmp/custom.sh &

5. Hit Save Startup
    6. To make it run now: The textbox should still contain "sh /tmp/custom.sh &" after the page reloads, if not paste it again. Then hit Run Commands.

Worked perfectly on my v1.1, only additonal step was to add a sleep 15 on the startup script before saving otherwise it didn't work after a reboot.
    nhwebforge
    DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:01    Post subject: r38937 works! Reply with quote
    Thanks for this guide. Followed it to the letter and it worked great, including the LEDs. Thanks everyone who contributed.

As an update...

r38937 from here:

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2019/02-23-2019-r38937/tplink_tl-wa901ndv3/tl-wa901ndv3-webflash.bin

appears to be working. So far so good.
    Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
    Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: