Nighthawk X10 (R9000)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52, 53  Next
pantsoftime
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I ran into the broken upgrade problem this morning and found a simpler workaround than TFTP. I was coming from build 36527 and trying to get to 36596 and the Web UI was freezing at 1%.

First I tried following the command line upgrade process from the wiki which uses the "write" command. I found that when I ran this command I was immediately disconnected and the upgrade didn't run. Interestingly I was still able to get into the GUI at this point.

I speculated that the write command was stopping because it was killing the session that initiated it, so I tried using "screen" to create a persistent session. This solved the problem.

Basic procedure:
1. ssh into router
2. cd /tmp
3. wget <filename of binfile to upgrade to>
4. screen
5. (dismiss splash screen by hitting enter)
6. write <filename> linux
7. wait 5 minutes
8. Reboot router

This worked for me and the router is now running 36596.

Hope this helps other people having this issue.
Sponsor
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
pantsoftime wrote:
I ran into the broken upgrade problem this morning and found a simpler workaround than TFTP. I was coming from build 36527 and trying to get to 36596 and the Web UI was freezing at 1%.

First I tried following the command line upgrade process from the wiki which uses the "write" command. I found that when I ran this command I was immediately disconnected and the upgrade didn't run. Interestingly I was still able to get into the GUI at this point.

I speculated that the write command was stopping because it was killing the session that initiated it, so I tried using "screen" to create a persistent session. This solved the problem.

Basic procedure:
1. ssh into router
2. cd /tmp
3. wget <filename of binfile to upgrade to>
4. screen
5. (dismiss splash screen by hitting enter)
6. write <filename> linux
7. wait 5 minutes
8. Reboot router

This worked for me and the router is now running 36596.

Hope this helps other people having this issue.

Were you running the multicast to unicast "fix?"
I wonder if that might be causing the issue. You can't undelete any of the writing in the config box...maybe it's tied together?
pantsoftime
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:

Were you running the multicast to unicast "fix?"
I wonder if that might be causing the issue. You can't undelete any of the writing in the config box...maybe it's tied together?

I was running the fix but I'm having a hard time linking the two, especially since command line updating was also broken (until I used screen).
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I added a ticket regarding 36410+ builds not allowing bin file webflash. Only TFTP of img files works. Sucks having to enter all the settings over and over....

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/6414#ticket
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
I added a ticket regarding 36410+ builds not allowing bin file webflash. Only TFTP of img files works. Sucks having to enter all the settings over and over....

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/6414#ticket

did u try if upgrade through cli works? it'll keep the settings like webflash if it does

[X86-64] Haswell i3-4150 ------------> DD-WRT v3.0-r41580 std
[QUALCOMM] R7800 -----------------> DD-WRT v3.0-r40270M kongat
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------> DD-WRT v3.0-r41580 std
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------> DD-WRT v3.0-r41580 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------> DD-WRT v3.0-r41580 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------> DD-WRT v3.0-r40634 std

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

If you use DSLReports please enable hi-res bufferbloat.

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway..
WNDR4300_66
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 0:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just curious has anyone been experiencing full hangs after about a week or so of uptime?

I have been running v3.0-r35452 std (03/20/1Cool until a few weeks ago when the X10 became completely unresponsive. I did a hard reboot and it worked fine for another week so and hung again. I upgraded to v3.0-r37961 std (12/12/1Cool and it seemed to be working fine until it hung again. I took a look though the logs but it seems like the UI only shows from the current startup.

Is there way I can enable log capture from the previous reboot to help troubleshoot this issue?

Is there a recommended software build that I should be using instead? Thanks.
yodog
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 0:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just switched to Voxel... the UI is pure aids (since it's default netgears), but the reliability and the problem free connections with all my mobile devices and wifi network adapters is very nice for a change.

My one big complaint is there's not much adjustability with the firewall/nat filtering and when you select channel 100(DFS), it will automatically switch channels when radar is detected and it always defaults to channel 36 which is really crap compared to the usual channels 149, 153, 157, 161. DD-WRT just stays on channel 100 until I manually change it. But it's still worth it at the moment because I am not constantly trying to fix something.

Hopefully a good build will come about and I will definitely switch back, but after the no update via web GUI issue became widespread, and the multi cast to unicast "fix" thing, IMO DD-WRT for the R9000 just went downhill.

Anyone have any thoughts/comments?
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Use the Kong Build.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=317746
yodog
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Going to try the new Kong build 12/26. Funny, Brainslayer also released a version on the same date.

Which netgear-to-ddwrt firmware file to choose if upgrading from the netgear firmware? hmmm...
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
yodog wrote:
Going to try the new Kong build 12/26. Funny, Brainslayer also released a version on the same date.

Which netgear-to-ddwrt firmware file to choose if upgrading from the netgear firmware? hmmm...

Always use a Kong build on Netgear routers which he builds on/for for first time flash. Use the .IMG filename for stock to dd-wrt. Anything already running a dd-wrt firmware you flash a .BIN filename.
yodog
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
yodog wrote:

Always use a Kong build on Netgear routers which he builds on/for. For first time flash use the .IMG filename for anything already running a dd-wrt firmware you flash a .BIN filename.

Ok the route of Kong it is then! Voxels firmware is giving me weird problems with my Philips Hue motion sensors. I hope this Kong version is fast and stable!
Johnnyde94
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:09    Post subject: Frame Compression on Netgear X10 (R9000) on Kong build Reply with quote
Hello, there I have a question about frame compression on my Netgear X10 AKA R9000. I've looked through the WIki and generally around the internet but I can't find anything on Frame Compression. My options for frame compression are Disabled, LZO, LZ4, LZMA. Out of those options what would be the best setting for general streaming and gaming? Out of the options is one compression algorithm better than the rest? The CPU on the router is powerful so I don't think the increased CPU work would be a problem.

Thanks in Advance

PS: If someone could update the QCA wireless settings wiki with this information that would be helpful.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:59    Post subject: Re: Frame Compression on Netgear X10 (R9000) on Kong build Reply with quote
Johnnyde94 wrote:
Hello, there I have a question about frame compression on my Netgear X10 AKA R9000. I've looked through the WIki and generally around the internet but I can't find anything on Frame Compression. My options for frame compression are Disabled, LZO, LZ4, LZMA. Out of those options what would be the best setting for general streaming and gaming? Out of the options is one compression algorithm better than the rest? The CPU on the router is powerful so I don't think the increased CPU work would be a problem.

Thanks in Advance

PS: If someone could update the QCA wireless settings wiki with this information that would be helpful.

As best I know, Frame compression isn't working.
See Tatsuya46's second post.
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1147929&highlight=frame+compression#1147929

AND

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/6286

to get the lowest possible latency:
Setup>Networking>Port Setup section and change all of the
TX Queue Length to 2 from 1000. This will help reduce a bunch of latency.

For more ambiguous info about frame compression see the link below and look at slide 54... TL/DL Seems like LZMA is the way to go, but if it's not working, why bother enabling it. Both the Router and device must support it....likely not going to happen. This seems like a future 802.11xx implementation to help with congested wifi spectrum, and LTE/cellular too...

https://www.slideshare.net/virendrauppalwar/design-of-efficient-mobile-femtocell-by-compression-and-aggregation-technology-in-cellular-network-63261975
buffalo0207
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello,

I'm interested in purchasing the 10G-SFP-T for CSC transceiver by 10GTEK, but I need to know if it is compatible with the Netgear R9000 router. I've already seen the compatibility list on the Netgear website, but have seen this particular transceiver online at a majorly reduced price.

I would be using it to bridge the gap between my Netgear R9000 and a NAS (QNAP TS-453-Be) with the QM2-2P10G1T Dual M.2 2280 PCIe SSD & Single 10GbE (RJ-45) Expansion Card.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...
ddaniel51
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
buffalo0207 wrote:
Hello,

I'm interested in purchasing the 10G-SFP-T for CSC transceiver by 10GTEK, but I need to know if it is compatible with the Netgear R9000 router. I've already seen the compatibility list on the Netgear website, but have seen this particular transceiver online at a majorly reduced price.

I would be using it to bridge the gap between my Netgear R9000 and a NAS (QNAP TS-453-Be) with the QM2-2P10G1T Dual M.2 2280 PCIe SSD & Single 10GbE (RJ-45) Expansion Card.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

I converted the house to 10Gb and started with QNAP's 10GB QSW-1208 switch due to it's high number of SFP+ ports.

3 of the R9000s use SFP+ DAC cables to it and the 2 10Gb NAS boxes use Cat6 cable. The QNAP then connects to a Managed Netgear 10Gb switch for the rest of the house.

The 10Gb Gtek is currently $120 USD on Amazon. The 1Gb you don't want is $20 USD.

You may have to reboot the 9000 after connecting the SFP.

Wired AP 2 R9000 1Gb LAN
Wired AP 3 R9000 1Gb LAN
Test Bed R7800 1Gb LAN OpenWRT Kong
www.desipro.de/openwrt/ (Kong's)
YAMon usage-
www.monitoring.com/manualInstall.php
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52, 53  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 51 of 53
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: