Any guides for DLink DIR-859?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
ewill
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Deltabongo2 wrote:
ewill wrote:
I just purchase the DIR-859 and was thinking of installing DD-WRT on it. I see the success regarding build 30342, but not with builds thereafter. Does this still hold true? I see that the most recent build is 34311 from 12/17 and am wondering if the newer builds are now reliable.

And if there are any other recommendations for DD-WRT on this router, would be happy to hear them.

Thank you in advance.

I'm running 34311 and it's been solid. You should go ahead and try this build.

Thanks for the advice. I got it installed and configured and all seems to be good. I happened to have the Rev A3, but no installation issues.

If anybody has pointers for fast and reliable performance in this device, I would be appreciate letting me know where to find them.

Thanks again.
Sponsor
AKA_SK
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 23:38    Post subject: Anyone had experiences with r34411 Reply with quote
First time user of dd-wrt here. What are some recommended settings do you guys have for this router (A3)? I found that the stock firmware (1.06beta) to be faster than dd-wrt. Did you guys try the latest build? What are your thought on it?
ewill
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:11    Post subject: Re: Anyone had experiences with r34411 Reply with quote
AKA_SK wrote:
First time user of dd-wrt here. What are some recommended settings do you guys have for this router (A3)? I found that the stock firmware (1.06beta) to be faster than dd-wrt. Did you guys try the latest build? What are your thought on it?

Interesting - I didn't do any speed tests myself. I just find it to be reliable (after a few days). Care to elaborate on the speed differences that you have found?
AKA_SK
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
In my case, im getting about 80-85% of my download and upload speed with dd-wrt than the stock d-link firmware.
ewill
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
AKA_SK wrote:
In my case, im getting about 80-85% of my download and upload speed with dd-wrt than the stock d-link firmware.

Interesting - is that just wireless? I noticed (earlier in the thread) that there was some discussion regarding disabling of the 5GHz, leading to more speed.
Deltabongo2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
ewill wrote:
AKA_SK wrote:

Interesting - is that just wireless? I noticed (earlier in the thread) that there was some discussion regarding disabling of the 5GHz, leading to more speed.

In older builds the 5GHz radio used a huge amount of memory, which caused the router to run out of memory when under load (the 859 has 64MB of RAM). This is the reason I had to run my DIR-859 A3 with only the 2.4Ghz radio enabled. At some point the 5Ghz radio firmware was updated, which reduced the RAM usage and now allows both radios to be enabled at the same time without starving the router for RAM.

In my experience, the fastest I can download from the internet is around 150Mbps. At this speed, the CPU is maxed out.

It's expected to have slower WAN speeds with DD-WRT compared to stock since there's no hardware-accelerated NAT'ing in DD-WRT.

Out of curiosity, I'd like to know if you guys use PPPoE as your WAN connection type? I can't use PPPoE since the WAN link drops and the router's LAN IP stops responding as soon as I put the router under heavy WAN load (have to power cycle the router to regain access). Instead I configured the WAN interface with a static IP and the router is stable with this config. In both cases the 859 sits behind my ISP's router/modem.
AKA_SK
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 0:47    Post subject: Build r34578 Reply with quote
Anyone running on the latest r34578 build? What are your thoughts on this one?
RedVisor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just flashed my DIR-859 for the first time using r35831. No problems with 5GHz-related lock-ups so far. I also have one of those Evercool router coolers to keep the router from overheating.

As someone stated in a previous post, the 30-30-30 reset is not necessary, and simply performing a factory reset through your web administration page before applying the factory-to-ddwrt.img file is sufficient.

Just a note that once the router has been flashed, the new DD-WRT's web admin IP address is 192.168.1.1. I was trying to refresh the web admin page using D-Link's default address (192.168.0.1) and of course I couldn't find my new router admin page. Razz

Flashing the dir859-webflash.bin file was a bit more worrisome, as after the first couple of minutes the router's power light went into a loop of flashing 3 times and then going steady for a few seconds before flashing 3 times again. Switching the router off for 10 seconds and restarting fixed the problem. The DD-WRT web admin page appeared again within a minute or two.

Everything is looking good... I was able to set up an OpenVPN profile with NordVPN without issues so now my entire house is VPN protected, which is the main reason I wanted to flash my router with DD-WRT in the first place. Very Happy
RedVisor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 0:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just wanted to post a follow-up after one week of using DD-WRT...

Shortly after successfully installing r35831, I upgraded to the latest version as of last week: r35927. My router has been up for nearly 7 days with this firmware and I've had no problems whatsoever to report. I've been streaming video across multiple devices using the 5GHz band with no issues. I see that r36006 has been released so I will download and install that version shortly, and provide another update next week.

P.S. I forgot to mention in my previous post that my DIR-859 is hardware revision A3.

Cheers,
RedVisor
Deltabongo2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
RedVisor wrote:
Just wanted to post a follow-up after one week of using DD-WRT...

Shortly after successfully installing r35831, I upgraded to the latest version as of last week: r35927. My router has been up for nearly 7 days with this firmware and I've had no problems whatsoever to report. I've been streaming video across multiple devices using the 5GHz band with no issues. I see that r36006 has been released so I will download and install that version shortly, and provide another update next week.

P.S. I forgot to mention in my previous post that my DIR-859 is hardware revision A3.

Cheers,
RedVisor

Hey RedVisor,

Thanks for sharing this info! You should also post it (using the template at the beginning of the build thread) in the dedicated build threads. For example here's the one for build 35927:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=315107
RedVisor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Deltabongo2 wrote:

Hey RedVisor,

Thanks for sharing this info! You should also post it (using the template at the beginning of the build thread) in the dedicated build threads. For example here's the one for build 35927:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=315107

Hey Deltabongo,

Thanks for the info... I will review the build thread and use the template to provide my feedback.

Meanwhile, I'm afraid I've had to roll back from r36006. I was experiencing random freeze-ups while trying to watch video via the 5 GHz channel. Rolling back to r35927 has resolved this.

I will post my feedback to the build thread for both firmware versions.
easyrhino
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
RedVisor wrote:
Rolling back to r35927 has resolved this.

FYI for whoever has this modeml, I've been using the previous release, r35898, successfully with my DIR-859 (just using it as a wired access point)
AKA_SK
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anyone else having problem connecting to 5GHz AP with builds beyond 36006? the problem remains with build 36154
D83wrlga
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anyone successfully installed/upgrade for the r37961 in A3 revision?
--
After installing the dir859-webflash.bin with dd-wrt upgrade with default settings I can't access the GUI says: ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED.
llFawkes17ll
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I recently flash this router to ddwrt but my WiFi ranges have taken a hit. Used version 40559. What's the latest version that everyone is using which is stable? By stable, I mean wifi is working as well as it did with factory and what is your TX power set to?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 5
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: