Any guides for DLink DIR-859?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
ppucci
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 19:19    Post subject: Any guides for DLink DIR-859? Reply with quote
Hi,

I just bought a DLink DIR-859 and wanted to run DDWRT on it. It is supported according to the database. I could not find any guide to install it, should I suppose it is similiar to other DLink devices? (30/30/30 install?).

Anybody out there using DDWRT on it? Care to share your experiences?
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
yep first reset to stock settings than upload factory to dd-wrt file via firmware update page and than upload dir859-webflash.bin via dd-wrt firmware update page with reset to defalts setting..

use files from this link:
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/10-06-2016-r30731/dlink-dir859/

also 30/30/30 reset on DIR series is not working well
on stock settings just reset to default settings but after you upload webflash image you can reset to defaults using "erase nvram" and "reboot" commands via SSh or Telnet use Putty to connect..
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
PPatla512
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have three DIR-859s one as the main router and three as APs

I found the 30731 to lock up under heavy download use....

I went back to the 30342 load and it has been most excellent... fast downloads and the the 2.4 and 5.0 channels work as expected...

I started locking up my routers with the most recent loads and backed off to the July vintages and the 30342 hums along great..

I have two A1 and one A2 units...
Deltabongo2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
PPatla512 wrote:
I have three DIR-859s one as the main router and three as APs

I found the 30731 to lock up under heavy download use....

I went back to the 30342 load and it has been most excellent... fast downloads and the the 2.4 and 5.0 channels work as expected...

I started locking up my routers with the most recent loads and backed off to the July vintages and the 30342 hums along great..

I have two A1 and one A2 units...

The first build I flashed on my rev. A3 DIR-859 was 30731, followed by 30826 and 30880. All three builds had lockup / latency / wifi problems. After seeing your post, I flashed 30342 and the difference is like night and day. It's only been up for 24 hours on 30342 but the router now runs like a top. Thanks so much for your post!
SethroMatelli
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I registered for an account just to say thank you to the posters on this 5-month-old thread. You made it a painless install.
Dramion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
yep first reset to stock settings than upload factory to dd-wrt file via firmware update page and than upload dir859-webflash.bin via dd-wrt firmware update page with reset to defalts setting..

use files from this link:
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/10-06-2016-r30731/dlink-dir859/

also 30/30/30 reset on DIR series is not working well
on stock settings just reset to default settings but after you upload webflash image you can reset to defaults using "erase nvram" and "reboot" commands via SSh or Telnet use Putty to connect..
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

Hi, I have been having such a hard time with my router. I am looking to follow what you had said about clearing nvram. Would anyone be able to provide some more direction in this case. I want to make sure I install the ddwrt firmware the correct way. Also where do you get 30342 from.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here is where you find it ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/
After you flash the router, reset it to factory default and then configure it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just a heads up that I've opened the following ticket related to low throughput / high cpu and memory usage while downloading via Bittorrent:
http://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/5724

I'm curious to hear if any other DIR-859 owners also have this problem?

I'm currently running build 31277 at the moment.

I've never done an "erase nvram". Do you think this could possibly fix the issue I'm seeing?
Deltabongo2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did some more testing today and found that disabling the 5Ghz radio seems to have helped. CPU spikes have gone away and memory usage dropped about 30%.
BarryPryor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:32    Post subject: You guys rock!!! Reply with quote
Hey just wanted to say thank you and that I appreciate this discussion. I just today purchased a D-Link DIR-859 and couldn't wait to get the DD-WRT firmware on it. The only version that was available via the router database was v3.0 beta build 27378, so I used that one only to find myself spending more than 8hrs fighting with it.

-wireless network would not enable
    -ath0 had all 0's for mac
    -ath0 would not keep mac after successfully changing it
    -site survey would be empty for ath0
    -other misc settings not holding

No amount of googling was leading me to any answers. I had actually given up and started searching for other firmware when I ran across this thread. I'm extremely happy I did and took one more chance at it. After installing build 30342 everything worked perfectly, it took a whopping 5mins to get up and running.

Thank you guys,
I am very grateful.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 20:37    Post subject: Re: You guys rock!!! Reply with quote
    BarryPryor wrote:
    Hey just wanted to say thank you and that I appreciate this discussion. I just today purchased a D-Link DIR-859 and couldn't wait to get the DD-WRT firmware on it. The only version that was available via the router database was v3.0 beta build 27378, so I used that one only to find myself spending more than 8hrs fighting with it.

-wireless network would not enable
      -ath0 had all 0's for mac
      -ath0 would not keep mac after successfully changing it
      -site survey would be empty for ath0
      -other misc settings not holding

No amount of googling was leading me to any answers. I had actually given up and started searching for other firmware when I ran across this thread. I'm extremely happy I did and took one more chance at it. After installing build 30342 everything worked perfectly, it took a whopping 5mins to get up and running.

Thank you guys,
    I am very grateful.

For what it's worth, I'm up to 41+ days uptime on 32170 with the 5GHz radio disabled. Rock solid!
      vfoong
      DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
      Hey guys,

For those who successfully flashed with DD-WRT, can you check to see if the DFS channels for 5G (channels 50-64, 100-144) are enabled after flashing?

Thanks everyone!
      tatsuya46
      DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
      they are there for supported reg domains such as haiti etc.

BrainSlayer wrote:
      we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
      [QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
      ▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
      [QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
      [BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

ewill
      DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
      I just purchase the DIR-859 and was thinking of installing DD-WRT on it. I see the success regarding build 30342, but not with builds thereafter. Does this still hold true? I see that the most recent build is 34311 from 12/17 and am wondering if the newer builds are now reliable.

And if there are any other recommendations for DD-WRT on this router, would be happy to hear them.

Thank you in advance.
      Deltabongo2
      DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
      ewill wrote:
      I just purchase the DIR-859 and was thinking of installing DD-WRT on it. I see the success regarding build 30342, but not with builds thereafter. Does this still hold true? I see that the most recent build is 34311 from 12/17 and am wondering if the newer builds are now reliable.

And if there are any other recommendations for DD-WRT on this router, would be happy to hear them.

Thank you in advance.

I'm running 34311 and it's been solid. You should go ahead and try this build.
      Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 5
      Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: