Need help with ASUS RT-N66U

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
TC Woods
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:36    Post subject: Need help with ASUS RT-N66U Reply with quote
I bought a house in Panama, plan to spend 4-5 months per year there. The rest of the time, I live in the Seattle Washington area.

Internet service in Panama is limited, advertised (satelitte dish) speed is 4 Mbps. I do not have an option of a wired connection to my modem.

Things I'm after...

1) Be able to utilize Kodi to watch US based tv channels. I would also like to watch "U.S. based" Hulu and Netflix, I guess the only way to do that is some kind of VPN...

2) I bought a new router (ASUS RT-N66U) which I was hoping to install 3rd party firmware, tomatoe or DD-WRT. I do not know how to do this but have paid 2 different people to install, they have not been unable to... It is my thought that having a router with this firmware is beneficial..yes? Wrong router?

3. The router I use has to pass thru as much as possible due to only having 4 Mbps... along with the proper VPN?

Any help would be appreciated
Sponsor
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Broadcom forum would probably be more helpful, but from my perspective... I use the Merlin AsusWRT firmware* on my N66U. DD on that model seems to be problematic. I also modified the latest CFE** on it to force my overclock settings from getting overwritten upon reboot. Also, the Merlin f/w provides h/w NAT (CTF) which was the other reason I went with it, not that it's really relevant with the bandwidth to which you refer. Merlin can be flashed directly thru the OEM GUI, then you can access SSH, to update the CFE if needed.

* http://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/download
** http://www.snbforums.com/threads/cfe-bootloader-update.8259/

On the VPN part...you'll have to search for thread specific to that, but I have seen them. Smile

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: