New Kong's build: DD-WRT 30700M - 09/27/2016

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
clueo8
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I reset to factory (erase nvram) and reconfigured with nvram set key=value and webif. I did each config one at a time and tested. I found that my custom DNS servers (the first one at least) was causing the slowness on my network. One thing which is odd to me is that my old router uses the same DNS servers in the same order and the issue is not present there. Another thing that surprised me was my WAN IP address; when I plugged in my R7000, it changed to a new WAN IP address (I don't have a static IP with my ISP, it changes ever so often). I wasn't surprised that it changed because I reset the modem before plugging it into the router. But when I reverted back to my previous router the other day, my ISP assigned my previous WAN IP back! So the ISP must be doing some kind of check against what the router that its plugged into (most likely MAC address?) to assign the IP.
Sponsor
stoney li
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
<kong>,
I dont know what has been changed in the latest releases. One of my old g device can only be ping'ed from the router but not from other devices for most of the time. But sometimes it can be ping'ed from the other devices.
What could be the reason?
Thanks,

--stoney
Bib
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 22:19    Post subject: Firmware bug on boot R7000 Reply with quote
Hi
Do you get this too (top of dmesg)?
Code:
pci 0000:00:11.0: [Firmware Bug]: reg 0x10: invalid BAR (can't size)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Netgear R6400. I have reset to defaults and cleared nvram prior to installing this build. Then reset to defaults after flashing, then redid all settings (did not load a backup settings). I have usb drive shared via samba, every time router is rebooted status page says samba is enabled but stopped. On NAS page settings are intact, pushing apply causes shares to actually be shared (can browse from computer, status page says samba started). All this worked fine on previous Kong build.

Otherwise seems good.
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 13:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
sertsa wrote:
Netgear R6400. I have reset to defaults and cleared nvram prior to installing this build. Then reset to defaults after flashing, then redid all settings (did not load a backup settings). I have usb drive shared via samba, every time router is rebooted status page says samba is enabled but stopped. On NAS page settings are intact, pushing apply causes shares to actually be shared (can browse from computer, status page says samba started). All this worked fine on previous Kong build.

Otherwise seems good.

1.Next time report like OP states. 2. When you reset to defaults after flashing, was that via GUI or erase nvram?
mlord
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
R6400

After a couple of days uptime, today the "guest" Wifi on 2.4GHz was not accepting connections.
Primary Wifi was still okay, but the "guest" Wifi is essential here as well.

Rebooted, works again.

EDIT: I suspect be this might have been due to dnsmasq crashing and not being restarted.

There are more than a few reports here of dnsmasq causing trouble, and of routers behaving better with it disabled. On my R6400, I have dnsmasq disabled for everything except the "guest" Wifi, which would explain why only the "guest" wifi had issues today.

Next time it happens, I'll check to see if dnsmasq is still running or not before rebooting.

Last edited by mlord on Thu Oct 20, 2016 17:17; edited 2 times in total
Bib
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 16:02    Post subject: Re: Firmware bug on boot R7000 Reply with quote
Bib wrote:
Hi
Do you get this too (top of dmesg)?
Code:
pci 0000:00:11.0: [Firmware Bug]: reg 0x10: invalid BAR (can't size)

Seems I didn't say minimum info
Router: Netgear R7000
Firmware: v3.0-r30700M (09/27/16) kongac - SVN rev:30700M
Kernel: Linux 4.4.22 #128 SMP Tue Sep 27 22:44:00 CEST 2016 armv7l

Should I reflash ?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
mlord wrote:
R6400

After a couple of days uptime, today the "guest" Wifi on 2.4GHz was not accepting connections.
Primary Wifi was still okay, but the "guest" Wifi is essential here as well.

Rebooted, works again.

EDIT: I suspect be this might have been due to dnsmasq crashing and not being restarted.

There are more than a few reports here of dnsmasq causing trouble, and of routers behaving better with it disabled. On my R6400, I have dnsmasq disabled for everything except the "guest" Wifi, which would explain why only the "guest" wifi had issues today.

Next time it happens, I'll check to see if dnsmasq is still running or not before rebooting.

I have 22 days uptime on the R6400, no issues at all.

Config includes:

pppoe,qos,portforwarding,privoxy,samba,isolated guest wifi,wireless schedule,dnsmasq,dropbear,ddns

about 10 different wifi devices are usually connected to it.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
mlord wrote:
R6400

... I suspect be this might have been due to dnsmasq crashing and not being restarted.

I have 22 days uptime on the R6400, no issues at all.

Config includes:

pppoe,qos,portforwarding,privoxy,samba,isolated guest wifi,wireless schedule,dnsmasq,dropbear,ddns

about 10 different wifi devices are usually connected to it.

Oh for sure, every situation has different variables though, and different clients connecting (and attempting to connect) too. So we are going to see different behaviour from time to time.

I will try a few things to narrow it down -- perhaps I'll manually kill off dnsmasq first, and see if that replicates the exact "unable to connect" behaviour I saw earlier: the clients behaved as if they had established the RF link, but couldn't get any further.
EDIT: No, different behaviour doing that. Will continue to key an eye on it.

Cheers!

Last edited by mlord on Thu Oct 20, 2016 18:53; edited 1 time in total
Bib
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
mlord wrote:
<Kong> wrote:
mlord wrote:
R6400.
...no issues at all.
...includes:... wireless schedule...

I also got this impossible for unbridged guest to connect on initial setup (R7k), although I applied settings several times, until I rebooted, then connection was OK. Didn't test
for long time stability. Testing with wifi schedule (one hour down at night) may be of good interest (perhaps wifi up will restart dnsmaq).

Last edited by Bib on Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:02; edited 1 time in total
mlord
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bib wrote:
I also got this impossible for unbridged guest to connect on initial setup (R7k), also I applied settings several times, until I rebooted, then connection was OK.

Yes, nothing for guest really worked at all here until I rebooted. Despite Save/Apply after each step. I do vaguely remember having to do a reboot when I set up my WNR3500L with a guest network (years ago) too.
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bib wrote:
mlord wrote:
<Kong> wrote:
mlord wrote:
R6400.
...no issues at all.
...includes:... wireless schedule...

I also got this impossible for unbridged guest to connect on initial setup (R7k), also I applied settings several times, until I rebooted, then connection was OK. Didn't test
for long time stability. Testing with wifi schedule (one hour down at night) may be of good interest (perhaps wifi up will restart dnsmaq).

I do have all-servers option in my dnsmasq though.
But wifi shedule does not restart dnsmasq.
dnsmasq is restarted here whenever my wan connection disconnects and since I'm on pppoe my connection goes off and on after 24h.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Router: Netgear R7000
Firmware: v3.0-r30700M (09/27/16) kongac - SVN rev:30700M
Kernel: Linux 4.4.22 #128 SMP Tue Sep 27 22:44:00 CEST 2016 armv7l
Reset: Reset to default after flashing 30700M from.chk file, Soft reboot; erase nvram
Errors: SSH & Telnet can't connect after a few hours of being on.

I'm having trouble here. SSH & Telnet constantly lose connectivity up until I soft reboot. It appears to happen after a couple of hours. A soft reboot seems to resolve the issue temporarily but I don't want to have to do that so often as my router is mounted on a high ceiling and it doesn't sound normal either. I've done multiple re-configs via the erase nvram command and manually set things up and same problem.

The only things I even have configured are my SSID, wireless security, access control and of course SSH enabled (in both panel options.)

Thanks in advance.
thejae
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Been using this build for two weeks now, my R8000 would randomly reboot for no apparent reasons.

I am also using dnsmasq to as dhcp. Disabled default DHCP server.

Code:
wl0
Mode: AP   
Network: Mixed   
TX Power: Auto
Rate: 200 Mbps

wl1
Network: NG-Mixed   
Rate: 86.5 Mbps

wl2
Network: Mixed   
Rate: 600 Mbps

Btw, I did a nvram erase, reset config during upgrade.
mr_hyde
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
So far best build.

Basically no change for my R7000 as it never rebooted. The device is working as wireless client bridge through 5Ghz with WAN/DHCP disabled.

But also my main Router (R8000) is now up for more than 14 days. It initially rebooted after about 7 days with this build, but now it is stable without any issues. All three radios are on, while WL0 is only used for the wireless bridge to the R7000. DHCP, DNSmasq is on. I do use static leases. Some scripts are running. A USB memory stick is connected.

R8000:
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r30700M kongac (09/27/16)
Time: 07:19:55 up 15 days, 23:11, load average: 0.08, 0.03, 0.00

R7000:
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r30700M kongac (09/27/16)
Time: 07:20:23 up 22 days, 23:43, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 7 of 10
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: