Netgear R6300v2 Advanced Debrick Notes By Sploit

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Di4b0liK
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi guys, i've found this topic while looking for a fix to a hudge problem that i'm experiencing since yesterday.

It all started while i was trying to overclock my r6300v2 after i put a custom 12mm FAN on the heathsink (wich have dropped my cpu temps from 71c to 45c)... during my test i tried to set a clock speed of 1600, and after that the router seems to have died.

I've tried at least 100 times to recover using ttl as i have always done on other routers, but every time the serial console freezes a couple of second after loading.

This is the only output i get every time:
Code:

Digital core power voltage set to 0.9375V
Decompressing...done

I would really appreciate any kind of help because the router is out of warranty and it was my primary unit to manage my home network...

The unit was running Kong latest build.

I have experience with smd soldering and i'm ready to try every crazy idea Very Happy

Please help Crying or Very sad
Sponsor
merrow75
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 23:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Di4b0liK wrote:
Hi guys, i've found this topic while looking for a fix to a hudge problem that i'm experiencing since yesterday.

It all started while i was trying to overclock my r6300v2 after i put a custom 12mm FAN on the heathsink (wich have dropped my cpu temps from 71c to 45c)... during my test i tried to set a clock speed of 1600, and after that the router seems to have died.

I've tried at least 100 times to recover using ttl as i have always done on other routers, but every time the serial console freezes a couple of second after loading.

Code:

Decompressing...done

I would really appreciate any kind of help because the router is out of warranty and it was my primary unit to manage my home network...

I have experience with smd soldering and i'm ready to try every crazy idea Very Happy

Stop the boot sequence using CTRL+C to enter CFE (I usually hold down both keys as soon as I've powered on the router and the boot sequence stops as soon as it gets to correct section where it stops).

Then follow these steps (which I have just done on my own router that I bricked on purpose by changing the clock speed to 1600 too).

CFE> nvram get clkfreq
*** command status = 0
CFE> nvram set clkfreq=800,533
*** command status = 0
CFE> nvram commit
*** command status = 0
CFE> nvram get clkfreq
*** command status = 0
CFE> reboot

Credit goes to lots of other previous posts discussing similar problems. The difference being that I've recreated the problem as I was interested in it.

Go for it.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Di4b0liK wrote:

Code:

Decompressing...done

Get a new router.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 0:39    Post subject: Get a New Router??? Reply with quote
lol. Thats something I would say :p

Above instructions are accurate BUT use Ctrl-C-Enter to stop the boot after the FoxConn Message

You have to press enter in the combo or it wont exit the boot.

But Malachi is probably correct. You probably fried it.

I have a router I might try that on.... Set Core Voltage at 900000
Di4b0liK
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 0:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unfortunately the boot stops even before loading cfe...

No jtag pinout available on this board?
merrow75
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Di4b0liK wrote:

Please provide the output from the boot sequence in the hope it can provide further clues as to potential recovery.

Thank you.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
merrow75 wrote:
Di4b0liK wrote:

Please provide the output from the boot sequence in the hope it can provide further clues as to potential recovery.

Thank you.

He already did. "Digital core power voltage set to 0.9375V
Decompressing...done".

I've had more than one in that state.
Get a new router it is done.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
One crazy thought, put the router inside a freezer and let it frozen and see if it can boot.
Di4b0liK
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
js1662 wrote:
One crazy thought, put the router inside a freezer and let it frozen and see if it can boot.

Seriously? what would it be the meaning of doing that? Very Happy
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Di4b0liK wrote:
js1662 wrote:

Seriously? what would it be the meaning of doing that? Very Happy

I would think it's for the router to hold on the temperature until you can reset params. Frozen board gives you extra time. In case it's not fried.

Last edited by Xeon2k8 on Wed Oct 12, 2016 21:44; edited 1 time in total
sploit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 21:19    Post subject: They have freeze spray for that.... Reply with quote
They have freeze spray for heat issues for electronics...

But freezers have moisture....
kwyeung
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 13:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
merrow75 wrote:
Thank you for the replies.

The tftp is on 192.168.1.2 - sorry for not providing this detail earlier.

I will try again otherwise I will explore recovery via serial.

Thank you again.

Hi... I'm getting similar problem on r6300v2, it keep rebooting after flashing factory-to-dd-wrt.chk

1. Router is ping-able for few seconds in every reboot with TTL=100

2. Not able to tftp 192.168.1.1 to flash the rom, using Linux tftp program with 1 second re-transmission parameter for 600 seconds, still no luck

3. Setup a TFTP server @ 192.168.1.2 with vmlinuz, but no log showing the router is trying to fetch this file

Any suggestion to debrick the device without opening the router case please?
merrow75
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
kwyeung wrote:
merrow75 wrote:

Thank you again.

Hi... I'm getting similar problem on r6300v2, it keep rebooting after flashing factory-to-dd-wrt.chk

2. Not able to tftp 192.168.1.1 to flash the rom, using Linux tftp program with 1 second re-transmission parameter for 600 seconds, still no luck

3. Setup a TFTP server @ 192.168.1.2 with vmlinuz, but no log showing the router is trying to fetch this file

Troubleshooting without a serial connection is difficult. However, the first thing that I would do is verify the functionality of the TFTP server, say, by pulling the vmlinuz file from another client.
kwyeung
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
merrow75 wrote:
kwyeung wrote:
merrow75 wrote:

Thank you again.

Troubleshooting without a serial connection is difficult. However, the first thing that I would do is verify the functionality of the TFTP server, say, by pulling the vmlinuz file from another client.

Thanks for pointing out, I disabled some firewall, but yet it still not work and no log showing it is trying to connect to the tftp server. Is the router IP address will be 192.168.1.1?

tftp successfully from another PC:
c:\Users\User\Desktop>tftp -i 192.168.1.2 get vmlinuz
Transfer successful: 8539654 bytes in 7 second(s), 1219950 bytes/s
merrow75
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
kwyeung wrote:
merrow75 wrote:
kwyeung wrote:
merrow75 wrote:

Thank you again.

Thanks for pointing out, I disabled some firewall, but yet it still not work and no log showing it is trying to connect to the tftp server. Is the router IP address will be 192.168.1.1?

tftp successfully from another PC:
c:\Users\User\Desktop>tftp -i 192.168.1.2 get vmlinuz
Transfer successful: 8539654 bytes in 7 second(s), 1219950 bytes/s

Good to see that you have verified the TFTP server.

Correct, the address of the router should be 192.168.1.1. Since you get a ping response confirms the router has this address.

When I last played with the router to intentionally brick it so that I could look at recovery options the router did not always wait for the vmlinuz file. I will need to check some of my screenshots of the console session when I was playing with the router to see if there is a way to force the router to wait for the vmlinuz file. I will post back later today or tomorrow.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 14
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: