Will "Band Steering" ever be implemented in DD-WRT

Panja
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 21:44    Post subject: Will "Band Steering" ever be implemented in DD-WRT Reply with quote
Band Steering:
Band steering is a technology that detects whether or not the wireless client is dual-band capable, and if it is, it will push the client to connect to the less congested 5GHz network. It does this by actively blocking the client’s attempts to associate with the 2.4GHz network. Since both 802.11n and the latest 802.11ac standards support 5GHz band, band steering can ensure that they achieve their maximum performance without being bottlenecked by legacy 802.11b/g clients. This way, you can make the most of the latest technology and at the same time ensure backwards compatibility with existing legacy equipment.

Band Steering is mostly found in more expensive (enterprise) wireless solutions like Aruba Networks, Cisco Meraki but even some D-Link routers have it.

This would be great to have in our DD-WRT routers! Cool
Is it even possible to have this in DD-WRT?
Sponsor
DaveTheNerd
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Very much a +1 for me here. Not having Band-Steering is the reason I recently left DD-WRT (after 10+ years) and moved to the Synology RT2600ac. All the same features I love in DD-WRT, plus more (including a very robust GUI to manage everything... and easy L2TP/IPsec VPN server).

Seems band-steering has been requested in the SVN, too. http://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/5655
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: