Linksys WRE54G Range Expander broadcom FOUND!! Runs LINUX!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please try this build and try to find gpios for reset and other button and for leds (if any).

dd-wrt.v24-12624_NEWD_micro.bin
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  dd-wrt.v24-12624_NEWD_micro.bin
 Filesize:  1.63 MB
 Downloaded:  1814 Time(s)

Sponsor
bazzoola
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ Eko I will try it out tonight and let you know what comes up.

@ jiggawhat:

1- I used the same SSID for all repeaters
2- Yes I have to setup WPA for all repeaters. They must be all equal, the virtual and the physical. If there is a mismatch then your network won't work.
bazzoola
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I upgraded the firmware to dd-wrt.v24-12624_NEWD_micro.bin. My setup is still working fine. Thanks!

Now it is recognized as Router Model Linksys WRE54G v1

The repeater bridge words fine.

Regarding the gpios how to list available ports?

The gpio command only enables/disables/polls a known port.
if my memory serves me right, the unit has:
A- 2 LEDs, one for ACTIVITY and the other one for LINK they have different colors though Blue, red, etc.
B- Auto configuration button
C- Reset button

So basically 4 IOs.

If you have a how-to I can follow to give you what you need. I will be glad.
Thanks again!

Some notes regarding the previous build. I noticed that sometimes the unit just freezes. It replies to my pings but they are DUP!
Also, the HTTP does not respond. The only way I can access it back is to unplug it and plug it back in.

I hope the firmware you posted works better. I will give you feedback when I run it for few days.

UPDATE:

I can't access the web server and telnetd anymore. Now it is only replying to my pings. It is behaving just like the other firmware. I will leave it like this for a while, it will probably stop working after a day.
Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Broadcom_detection
mediavieja
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
can someone tell me what is the function of this devide? i have a v3 ver Sad and i know i cant use WRT on it since its marvell chipset, but when i config the repeater to my router, what is this thing suppouse to do? my clients r suppouse to connect to this device? or they still connect to my router? how do i know if its working or not?
dvlad666
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 14:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
A pity, but your device is not and will not be compatible with WRT. Bu AFAIK V3 is the version with Ethernet port, right? If so, you could TRY to use it as a regular wireless AP or Client if you don't need the repeater function. Look for asus WL-330g (not gE) firmware.

To test whether it's working or not, you need a wireless client software that shows AP's MAC, if your client connects to your router's network but the AP's MAC shown is the repeaters MAC, then it's working.
Or a simplier way Idea - detach the main router's antenna, go to the far place where tour device will not see tour network at all, then put repeater close to the router and switch it on. If your device (in far place) will be able to use the network then everything is working.
By network i mean wireless SSID, by router i mean a device that hosts it.
mediavieja
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
i tryed to upgrade with p2g1123837.bin that i got from asus website but the updated failed with the error that the firmware was too large from the linksys web interface, is this the right firmware or am i doing something wrong?
dvlad666
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had WL330g fora moment,it seemed to have 2MB flash chip. The best way to be sure is not to believe what web interface has said to you but to actually open the unit and find a flash chip datasheet.
Also, if you find my first posts in this topit i had to use WinHEX and add a header to dd-wrt .bin firmware for the original web interface to accept that. But that was V1, and as you are the Marvell owner, you'll need to investigate yourself.
If there's a linksys orig FW for your unit available for download, i'd start comparing their headers and footers in HEX to find smth common.
Of course a rough flash chip size check mentioned aboveis a must.
mediavieja
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
where do i find those datasheets? here is a pic of my device on the inside

DSC011902.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  140.86 KB
 Viewed:  21478 Time(s)

DSC011902.jpg

dvlad666
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
google it!
it's the top left MX29LV... chip.
What are the sizes of asus and linksys orig. firmwares?
mediavieja
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
LinksysWRE54Gv3_3_04_01-hdr.img 434.048 bytes
p2g1123837.bin 917.504 bytes
dvlad666
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sad( If the chip is less than 8Mbit, then you won't be able to use asus firmware. But first, look for official answer in the datasheet.
mediavieja
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
i cant find anything in the datasheet about the flash chip size, or maybe im just so noob that i dont know what to look for :S , these are a few tech specs that i got from the pdf, pls tell me if theres the answer:

chip.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  130.75 KB
 Viewed:  21456 Time(s)

chip.jpg

dvlad666
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, that's more than you need:)
Your chip is MX29LV800C, right? Then it's 1'048'576 x 8 that means 1 megabyte, so my congratulations, you can theoretically upload the 1meg firmware!

Now it's your time, i can't assist you any further, cause i have none of that units.
Check the CPUs used, check RAM sizes, then start comparing firmwares and then, if the web interface refuses to take an upload, try TFTP or smth.
Anyways, WRE54G V2 and V3 are toys, I would not spare them Smile
mediavieja
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
aight, 2 questions:

1) what should i be looking for with the WinHEX on both firmwares? what should i replace or add

2) how do i tftp the firmware to the unit?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: