Joined: 09 Aug 2016
|Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:06 Post subject: ddwrt behind main router, cant connect to internet /beginner
|EDIT: I gave up and returned it. It was a version 2, after reading around I figured it's probably not me doing something wrong.
I've got myself a DDWRT router (1200ac) for the sole purpose of being a vpn client. And I'm trying to get it to work with my main router. (technicolor tg789bvn) and the DDWRT second router behind it.
It works with stock firmware, I can reach the internet - so the WAN port isn't broken.
I'm in it over my head, I think. I flased "DD-WRT v3.0-r28788 std (01/13/16)" – that worked fine.
*(1). Double NAT — default settings (gateway)*
- WAN connected to main LAN
- technicolor/DDWRT gets IP from main router (192.168.1.83)
- Local IP 192.168.1.83 (or 192.168.2.1, same result)
- DNS is 192.168.1.1 (main)
- Gateway is 192.168.1.1 (main)
- DHCP is off (on = same result)
The result is no internet connection from ddwrt router. I can't ping the main router from DDWRT.
- Same as above but external IP is forwarded from main router to ddwrt router.
- ddwrt router has external IP as WAN ip
No internet either, with this.
*(3). Switch mode*
- ddwrt LAN port (not WAN!) connected to main router LAN
- No WAN IP (normal, i guess)
- static IP
- firewall off
Switch mode is the only configuration when I can get all devices to find each other, and when I can reach internet from DDWRT. But I can't get things routed through Open VPN. I got the VPN connection working, but it seems to ignore my wish to forward certain devices through the VPN.
I'm guessing that for the ddwrt router to be able to take control over things and force stuff through the open vpn connection, it needs to go through the WAN port, somehow. But maybe I'm wrong?
I've also tried setting the
- connection as "router",
- other subnets (192.168.2.1),
- dhcp forward,
- google DNS (8.8.8. etc.
- fixed ip
- dhcp on
- restarting the routers in different orders
Same result, no internet connection from ddwrt, no matter how hard I try. This is my main problem, I think.
What I'm trying to achieve, ideally, is to separate things that everything that goes through ddwrt is through vpn, and everything directly through the main router is not through vpn (both ports and wireless). That way it would be easy to choose wether to go with VPN or not.
Any ideas or thoughts are most welcome!