Not the best router

blitzgp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:32    Post subject: Not the best router Reply with quote
I have been running DD-WRT on my Linksys WRT310N v2 for almost 5 years and have only had to reset it 2 or 3 times to appease my ISP for troubleshooting issues on their end. I remember it taking a few months for a reliable build because I think v2 was a pretty different chipset or so memory capacity, or some random issue. Point is, I am looking for a new router with a higher wireless bandwidth and am curious if there are any modern gems out there right now.
Sponsor
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
There are indeed a lot of new routers that support higher wifi speed all the way up to AC5300. Take a look at the Supported Devices List: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

You can find a lot of threads on those higher wifi speed routers on the Atheros, Broadcom as well as Marvell forums.
deslauriermc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:16    Post subject: installation of dd-wrt on an asus AC5300 Reply with quote
I'm a newby here and also a bit confused.
In the other downloads section i see there is a *.trx file to download for the asus ac5300.
But in the supported routers on the wiki page, it also states: "It is recommended to use ASUS Firmware restoration tool for ASUS routers initial flash (use *.TRX file) "

So what is exactly the insallation procedure in order to flash dd-wrt on a new asus ac5300? I'm looking to buy one but I want to make sure I get this right and not screw the installation process
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:44    Post subject: Re: installation of dd-wrt on an asus AC5300 Reply with quote
deslauriermc wrote:
I'm a newby here and also a bit confused.
In the other downloads section i see there is a *.trx file to download for the asus ac5300.
But in the supported routers on the wiki page, it also states: "It is recommended to use ASUS Firmware restoration tool for ASUS routers initial flash (use *.TRX file) "

So what is exactly the insallation procedure in order to flash dd-wrt on a new asus ac5300? I'm looking to buy one but I want to make sure I get this right and not screw the installation process

Upload the firmware for your router, after it boots up into dd-wrt reset it from within the gui, then after it boots up, proceed in configuring it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks for the reply

So no use for the asus firware restoration tool?
i just downlaod for example the latest *.trx file (in this case,asus_rt-ac5300-firmware.trx) and go through the process in the GUI ?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Correct.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks very much for your help Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: