More commits

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:13    Post subject: More commits Reply with quote
Few more about an hour ago, noticing that a few more issues have been closed.

https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi?files=1

Velop:2 WHW0101, RE6500, RE9000(AP)
Spectrum - 1000/50
SysLog Watcher 5, New security Onion box coming soon, Fingboxes, PiHoles, NEMS, Cacti, rpisurv
Sponsor
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
AFAIK, this is the most significant outstanding issue with the Kong builds: https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/issues/75
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes that is very true Yemble, same has happened to me.

I posted on that issue, as I have Dish Networks Hopper with wireless Joeys for our home television service. The Hopper has WiFi that connects to the home network, and it has Ethernet to the Joey access point (works as a bridge, between the home network and its own wireless network that sends that signal to the 3 Joeys I have).

Now that AP uses DFS, and may change to the upper channels (149-161, due to it only using 80mhz widths), but extremely rarely and its only for a couple of hours and switches back to using the DFS channels again.

I tried testing the stock as he asked us to do, and I tried 3 times to flash both my 1900 and 1200 to stock, and neither would even give me any selections for any DFS channels...

I do hope they get this figured out, as missing an entire band of channels leaves you with not many for you and neighbors to choose from.

Spectrum - 1000/50
SysLog Watcher 5, New security Onion box coming soon, Fingboxes, PiHoles, NEMS, Cacti, rpisurv
FattysGoneWild
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 19:29    Post subject: Channels with stock firmware Reply with quote
Do you have corruption going on when flashing back or something? Here are the choices any ways if it might help. I myself have not flashed to Kong's version because of this bug. I don't want channel hopping out of no where. Hope it gets fixed soon.
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 20:51    Post subject: Re: Channels with stock firmware Reply with quote
FattysGoneWild wrote:
Do you have corruption going on when flashing back or something? Here are the choices any ways if it might help. I myself have not flashed to Kong's version because of this bug. I don't want channel hopping out of no where. Hope it gets fixed soon.

It may be there is BS builds as well, but I am not willing to switch back just to find out. If it is a Marvell driver issue, then it should be.
Cantenna
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
ATHF wrote:
Yes that is very true Yemble, same has happened to me.

I posted on that issue, as I have Dish Networks Hopper with wireless Joeys for our home television service. The Hopper has WiFi that connects to the home network, and it has Ethernet to the Joey access point (works as a bridge, between the home network and its own wireless network that sends that signal to the 3 Joeys I have).

Now that AP uses DFS, and may change to the upper channels (149-161, due to it only using 80mhz widths), but extremely rarely and its only for a couple of hours and switches back to using the DFS channels again.

I tried testing the stock as he asked us to do, and I tried 3 times to flash both my 1900 and 1200 to stock, and neither would even give me any selections for any DFS channels...

I do hope they get this figured out, as missing an entire band of channels leaves you with not many for you and neighbors to choose from.

Wasn't even aware of this issue until I saw this post and checked the wifi status of my router, sure enough, it was running on channel 36 despite me having set it to channel 100 the day before. Are these recent commits related to fixing this issue?

Also anyone else noticing their iPad wifi keeps disconnecting from the router and slowly intermittently reconnecting? We have a ton of wifi device on this network and it seems to be only isolated to the iPad 3 and iPad 2 that are having this issue.
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did some more looking into what DFS is, and I think the FCC solved one problem but created another, this is from a company forum that does BIG long haul wireless talking about a spectrum analyzer I believe...

http://community.mimosa.co/t/dfs-wait-time-unexpected/356

Spectrum - 1000/50
Siliconaudio
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
When you read how DFS works, it's no surprise that a router could detect false positives and disable channels. It only has to see a 2 microsecond blip and it can disable a channel.

I would suggest that multiple false-positives would be pretty common among many 5 GHz routers. Might be why Kong mentioned that in looking at many 3rd party router firmware images, he's seen that DFS is often not properly implemented. It might be deliberate to make the 5 GHz band usable.

It seems to me that if you do it "by the book" you are likely to run into this problem all the time.

Bill.
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Siliconaudio wrote:
When you read how DFS works, it's no surprise that a router could detect false positives and disable channels. It only has to see a 2 microsecond blip and it can disable a channel.

I would suggest that multiple false-positives would be pretty common among many 5 GHz routers. Might be why Kong mentioned that in looking at many 3rd party router firmware images, he's seen that DFS is often not properly implemented. It might be deliberate to make the 5 GHz band usable.

It seems to me that if you do it "by the book" you are likely to run into this problem all the time.

Bill.

Except that this is not a widely reported problem on other router models. My Archer C9 never switches DFS channels, yet my WRT1900AC always does.

Go figure...
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
New commit as of 6/1 from Marvel for wireless

https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/commit/4bb95ba1aeccce506a95499b49b9b844ecfae8a1

They keep working on it they may get it right. Only a little over 2 years. Very Happy

---bill

ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
Siliconaudio
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 0:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yemble wrote:
Siliconaudio wrote:

Bill.

Except that this is not a widely reported problem on other router models. My Archer C9 never switches DFS channels, yet my WRT1900AC always does.

Go figure...

You didn't get my point. I was suggesting that Kong is working to the letter of the law, while the commercial crowd are deliberately flouting the law in order to make their routers more stable.

Who is right and who is wrong? - That depends on your point of view, I guess.
Siliconaudio
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 0:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
From https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/issues/75

Quote:
Razerwire commented on 24 Apr • edited

Dynamic Frequency Selection was added with commit 99d3879

Several users reported in issue #57 that DFS was not working properly and that the router's radio was always reverting to channel 36, regardless of there actually being RADAR or not.
@yuhhaurlin closed the issue (#57) for a lack of response.

DFS support is currently still not working like it should on OpenWRT.

Running DD Bleeding Edge, R49195, (which includes the latest driver and firmware) after some time (a day or so) the wireless radio will switch to channel 36 even though the router is no where near a airport and/or a RADAR installation.

Would be great if this was fixed...

So it appears this is down to the driver, not Kong's builds.
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Argh, there be more, https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi.

Also if anyone has the means to try WDS with the newest stuff, would help https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/issues/69

Spectrum - 1000/50
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: