WTB: Open source WiFi router - Best possible under $300.00

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Search & Find, Sales & Offers
n944la
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:29    Post subject: WTB: Open source WiFi router - Best possible under $300.00 Reply with quote
Hi

I am looking to buy a used/new WiFi router for my Laptop & iPod.

I currently have the Linksys EA6900 which is doggie doo doo and want something that is OPEN SOURCE so I can mess around.

Brand name doesn't matter as long as it comes highly recommended. My place where it is going to be used is small and consists of two rooms with a clear shot to each from (no doors) and the max distance is only 40 feet. I do want something with the max available throughput...AC1900 I guess.

If anyone has one for sale, please let me know.

Thank You

Tim
ARS N9NU
Sponsor
mwbuss8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you truly want options, build one. Get a compact desktop with dual gigabit ethernet. This opens the door to not only use DD-WRT, but also something like PFsense, Untangle, or IPfire. I picked up an old MSI Windbox a year ago for this purpose. The Atom processor is a bit anemic for computing, but it's still quite a bit more powerful than you'll typically find in a router (dual core hyper-threaded 1.8ghz). I paid ~$110 on ebay. It has 2 mpcie slots (one already occupied by the current wifi card) to add whatever wireless you want, or use it as a wired router and use your ea6900 as an AP. If size and power consumption aren't issues, a compact tower or full size tower open the door to more powerful pcie wifi cards as well, though a separate AP lets you place it more optimally. Either way, with your budget, you can get a lot more bang for your buck building your own than from buying a consumer marketed device, and it'll have the flexibility you want.

I also don't see a huge advantage in ac1900 over ac1750, especially for the typical price difference. The added speed is on 2.4ghz. If you want speed, you'll connect to 5ghz anyway. Clients modern enough to benefit will have 5ghz. I've bought several ac1750 boxes on ebay to use as APs for <$40. AC1900 is typically at least double that. Just something to keep in mind.
cybrnook
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/turris-omnia-hi-performance-open-source-router-security-network#/

wont get more open source than this.

If your interested, I have some R7000's I could sell. Internally it's similar to the EA6900, though more highly adopted than the EA6900.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 23:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
r7800

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55488 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55460 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

lusianahalim
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
is there any half mile wifi router?
sploit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 23:42    Post subject: Ya its called... Reply with quote
Ya its called a regular router with SMA connectors and a Dual Amplification with Line of Site Sector Antennas. Very Expensive.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Search & Find, Sales & Offers All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: