Help Wireless Linking WRT1900AC and E4200

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
BWillick2015
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:16    Post subject: Help Wireless Linking WRT1900AC and E4200 Reply with quote
Hello all long time WRT user first time to post on forums. ( I originally had wrote quite a long post but had to step away and when came back hit post and it timed out my login and just deleted everything so I will try to write as much as I can again)

I am trying to wireless Link WRT1900AC and E4200.... I have tried both WDS and Client Bridge with no luck. For this purpose 1900 is router 1 and 4200 is Access Point

Now I know for WDS both routers must have same chip set to work (Not sure if this is the case for mine or what to check exactly) but my end result after following guides for WDS on the articles found here When I check status, on the WRT1900 I see the nodes on 2.4 5 GHZ for 4200 but both signals are 0% .. when I check status on 4200 I can't see any nodes from the 1900. So wasn't sure if this is the compatibility issue or something else causing that problem.

When I tried client bridge following guides on here I get nothing from the 4200 to the 1900, I was using just the 5ghz Band from each router I figure this was most useful way as I don't really have any devices that use 5GHz , I even tried the site survey(4200)( I know it states not to join this way but since wasn't working anyways) to try and join to the 1900 but 1900 doesn't even show up in the survey list. If I try opposite way doing site survey with 1900 I have no problem seeing the 4200.
Not sure if there is something different with the 1900 that needs to be done then compared to the tutorials found on the pages here.

Any sort of help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, sorry I have probably left out bunch of information that was in my original post that I might have forgotten when it got deleted.

The more I read I think client bridge is best option for me for what I want to do but I would be happy to get either to work.
Sponsor
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
As of now the Marvell driver for the WiFi chip does not support WDS. Don't know if it ever will.
Velop:2 WHW0101, RE6500, RE9000(AP)
Spectrum - 1000/50
SysLog Watcher 5, New security Onion box coming soon, Fingboxes, PiHoles, NEMS, Cacti, rpisurv
BWillick2015
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the information ATHF, that eliminates that option. As for why I can't get client Bridge mode to work or is that my best option?

Let me explain further my setup as I was bit tired and angry last night when I Had to retype out everything.

I have 3 Linksys routers WRT310N , E4200 & WRT1900AC

Currently my setup is Modem ---> WRT310N --Wired to --> WRT1900AC --- Wireless to ---> E4200
The setup is fine up to the 1900AC but can't get the wireless connection to the 4200 to work ( Unfortunately I cannot get a cable from either of those routers to the 4200 so wanted to test wireless option)
I tried setting 4200 in client Bridge but did not have success( Although come to think of it I'm not 100% sure I tested weather I could see the 1900 from 4200 by ping, I think I only checked weather I could access internet hardwired form 4200)

I think I have all settings correct for the 4200 based on walkthroughs but was wondering if maybe I need anything changed in the 1900 as its not the gateway but just another access point and all the walkthroughs I used had the client bridge connecting's back to the main gateway. (Not sure if that makes a difference but was just thinking about that in my head now)

Current basic settings
310N 192.168.1.2
operating mode Gateway

1900AC LAN IP 192.168.1.3
Gateway 192.168.1.2
operating mode: Router
Wireless mode 5GHZ : AP

4200 192.168.1.4
LAN IP 192.168.1.4
Gateway 192.168.1.3
operating mode: Router
Wireless mode 5GHZ : Client Bridge

Also changed on client 4200 , security and firewall as it states, confirmed channel settings were both the same, width ,#,
https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridge

I will have to try again tonight to confirm connection or not just from 4200 back to 1900 aside from internet connection.
But is there anything that stands out to anyone that maybe need to be different then the guide for this particular setup?

Or should I be looking at totally different setup? My goal was to use both 5GHZ channels to do the wireless communication between 1900 and 4200 , leaving the 2.4GHZ channels to still broadcast for wireless devices and use wired ports on both routers as well.
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
BWillick2015 wrote:
I have 3 Linksys routers WRT310N , E4200 & WRT1900AC

Currently my setup is Modem ---> WRT310N --Wired to --> WRT1900AC --- Wireless to ---> E4200
The setup is fine up to the 1900AC but can't get the wireless connection to the 4200 to work ( Unfortunately I cannot get a cable from either of those routers to the 4200 so wanted to test wireless option)

Is there no possibility of you connecting the two routers up via a pair of PowerLine adapters? This would be a much more robust solution if they are on the same ring-main.
BWillick2015
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 16:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yemble wrote:

Is there no possibility of you connecting the two routers up via a pair of PowerLine adapters? This would be a much more robust solution if they are on the same ring-main.

Yes I was thinking about that, I was hoping to try one of these routes and just see how well the system worked before going down that road as it adds bit more work. As I limited to outlets at both these locations for first two routers as there are in a upstairs and down stairs living room and outlets are tied up with power bars for all electronics in both rooms.
As for the powerline I'm assuming each of the Two hot wires coming from transformer is it's own ring main? That I'm not sure until I go home and look at which breakers are feeding this rooms.

I am going to try again tonight and verify weather If I was talking from router to router first. Incase it was just the internet not working. I also might try repeater Bridge see if I have any luck on it. I am guessing something I am just missing but just can't seem to get it.
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
BWillick2015 wrote:
Yemble wrote:

Yes I was thinking about that, I was hoping to try one of these routes and just see how well the system worked before going down that road as it adds bit more work. As I limited to outlets at both these locations for first two routers as there are in a upstairs and down stairs living room and outlets are tied up with power bars for all electronics in both rooms.
As for the powerline I'm assuming each of the Two hot wires coming from transformer is it's own ring main? That I'm not sure until I go home and look at which breakers are feeding this rooms.

I am going to try again tonight and verify weather If I was talking from router to router first. Incase it was just the internet not working. I also might try repeater Bridge see if I have any luck on it. I am guessing something I am just missing but just can't seem to get it.

I had great success connecting routers with a pair of TP-Link PowerLine AV600 adapters in a 60+ year old student house with very dubious wiring. The inter router link was a solid 400Mbps full duplex.
BWillick2015
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yemble wrote:

I had great success connecting routers with a pair of TP-Link PowerLine AV600 adapters in a 60+ year old student house with very dubious wiring. The inter router link was a solid 400Mbps full duplex.

Do you know if you can link more then one Powerline ? Like if I connected first powerline to Main router 310N, Can I link two other powerlines from that? one to 4200 and one to 1900? or does it have to be a 1 to 1 ?
BWillick2015
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
So after bunch of playing around tonight was finally able to get it to work, but only on the 2.4GHZ band and both units set to "N only" and only with no security on, once I turned security on using the WPA2 Personal AES which is the recommended dropped and wouldn't connect.

The speeds didn't seem terrible but to much aggravation, so decided to scrap this whole idea and go more the route Yemble mentioned, going to take back the 1900AC and instead buy wired 6+ port router and Powerline adapters.
Going to wire Modem to the wired router and take off Ethernet to the 4200 and then powerline to the 310N

Any suggestions on wired routers with 6+ ports and power line adapters?

So far was looking at for Routers
D-Link 8-Port VPN Router
http://ca.dlink.com/products/business-solutions/unified-services-router-2/

PowerLine Adpaters
Previously mentioned
TP-LINK TL-PA6010KIT AV600
http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/TL-PA6010KIT.html

D-Link PowerLine AV2 2000 Gigabit Starter Kit (DHP-701AV)
http://us.dlink.com/products/connect/powerline-av2-2000-gigabit-starter-kit/
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
BWillick2015 wrote:
Yemble wrote:

Do you know if you can link more then one Powerline ? Like if I connected first powerline to Main router 310N, Can I link two other powerlines from that? one to 4200 and one to 1900? or does it have to be a 1 to 1 ?

Yes, you can build the TP-Link PowerLine adapters into a network. I cannot remember what the max number of nodes is, other than it is "more than enough" Very Happy Also, you can buy the adapters in different configurations, ie. with multiple Ethernet ports, but for connecting two routers, you only need a single port on each adapter. I think that each "virtual wired" connection requires a pair of ports, one at each end of the link.

I can certainly recommend the TP-Link adapters. Their price is very competative and I can vouch for their performance and reliability.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: