Connecting Router to ONT Centurylink Fiber

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
AntiTrust
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
VernonDozier wrote:
Yeah, I spent about 3 days researching this.

I have two LinkSys/Cisco routers- A LinkSys/Cisco EA6300 (now a DD-WRT EA6400 Very Happy ). The LinkSys/Cisco EA6300 is the same as the EA6400; Cisco decided to write software to program the Broadcom chip to run 802.11ac at a slower speed. I also have a LinkSys/Cisco E4200 which is only working as a wired router. WiFi is disabled. To get it all to work, I found that loading Open-WRT on the E4200 could do the VLAN translation. DD-WRT seems to have tagging limited to 15.

Through trial (and mostly) error, along with patience and a lot of reading and research, it seems DD-WRT can't send PPPoE authentication to the WAN on anything but VLAN 0. There's very few posts online about this.

CenturyLink requires PPPoE authentication sent to the Calix ONT tagged to VLAN 201. I called CenturyLink, spoke to a tier 3 technician. He said they could change the ONT so connectivity was un-tagged, but it *still* didn't connect on either WRT platform on VLAN 0. I don't know. However, and as you can imagine, I spent a lot of time trying to figure it out.

All that said, if you do get a hardware router to perform VLAN tag translation, (Maybe something running OpenWRT) I suggest purchasing one which supports Gigabit on both WAN and LAN. Staying Gigabit between the ONT to the local lan would provide pingtimes on SpeedTest of 3-5ms. Placing a 10/100 device to perform vlan translation would increase ping to 14ms.

Good Luck!

I'm using the "NETGEAR ProSAFE GS105Ev2 5-Port Gigabit Web Managed" with CenturyLink's gigabit Internet. It works perfect!

Full gigabit speed and everything. I setup a VLAN 201 tag on port 1. Port 1 is where the ONT plugs into.

Then port 2 is VLAN 201 untagged. This goes to my router, which provides Internet to the rest of my network. As long as your router can handle PPPoE credentials, then you can essentially use any router of your choice with CenturyLink's gigabit Internet!

I decided to go with the Netgear Orbi router that just came out last month. At $400, it's the most expensive router I've ever bought, but it's a "mesh wifi network" so I can get full 5 bars of wifi throughout my entire house. I like the idea of having just 1 wifi network name and 5 bars of service. Our house is very old, and the walls are practically impenetrable LOL Laughing

If you're interested in how I setup my Netgear managed switch to work with CenturyLink's VLAN 201 network, I wrote up a guide with step-by-step instructions over on DSLReport's forum in the CenturyLink sub-forum.
Sponsor
VernonDozier
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:49    Post subject: CenturyLink Fiber VLAN 201 Reply with quote
AntiTrust wrote:
VernonDozier wrote:
I spent about 3 days researching this and found something that works, along with quite a bit of details..

I have two LinkSys/Cisco routers- A LinkSys/Cisco EA6300v1 (now running DD-WRT as a EA6400 Very Happy ). The LinkSys/Cisco EA6300v1 is similar to the EA6400, however, Cisco's firmware limits WiFi from the Broadcom processor slower. Getting DDWRT on a EA6300v1 a project all of itself, but this tutorial worked for me- http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1009864#1009864

I also have a LinkSys/Cisco E4200v1 which currently is only working as a wired router and performing VLAN translation. To get it working with CenturyLink, I found that loading Open-WRT with Luci on the E4200v1 accomplished VLAN translation properly. DD-WRT seems to have a limit of vlan tags as described by others above.

Through trial (and mostly) error, along with patience and a lot of reading and research, one person using WireShark found that DD-WRT is sending the PPPoE authentication to the WAN on VLAN 0. Ultimately, this means no authentication occurs or DHCP address given. There's very few posts online about this.

CenturyLink requires PPPoE authentication sent to the ONT (Mine is an AdTran) tagged to VLAN 201. I called CenturyLink, spoke to a tier 3 technician also. They offered to change the VLAN on the ONT to un-tagged, but it *still* didn't connect on either WRT platform on VLAN 0 or untagged. So, I don't know. However, and as you can imagine, I spent a lot of time trying to figure it out.

All that said, if you do get a hardware router to perform VLAN tag translation, (Maybe something running OpenWRT) I suggest purchasing one which supports Gigabit on both WAN and LAN. Staying Gigabit between the ONT to the local lan would provide pingtimes on SpeedTest of 3-5ms. Placing a 10/100 device to perform vlan translation would increase ping to 14ms.

Good Luck!

I'm using the "NETGEAR ProSAFE GS105Ev2 5-Port Gigabit Web Managed" with CenturyLink's gigabit Internet. It works perfect!

Full gigabit speed and everything. I setup a VLAN 201 tag on port 1. Port 1 is where the ONT plugs into.

Then port 2 is VLAN 201 untagged. This goes to my router, which provides Internet to the rest of my network. As long as your router can handle PPPoE credentials, then you can essentially use any router of your choice with CenturyLink's gigabit Internet!

I decided to go with the Netgear Orbi router that just came out last month. At $400, it's the most expensive router I've ever bought, but it's a "mesh wifi network" so I can get full 5 bars of wifi throughout my entire house. I like the idea of having just 1 wifi network name and 5 bars of service. Our house is very old, and the walls are practically impenetrable LOL Laughing

If you're interested in how I setup my Netgear managed switch to work with CenturyLink's VLAN 201 network, I wrote up a guide with step-by-step instructions over on DSLReport's forum in the CenturyLink sub-forum.

Thanks for the info about the NetGear. I always had great experiences with their ProSafe line. In the specs you mention, I noticed your device is Triband, which likely adds to the premium cost. However, I think I may wait until the dust settles on the new 3.5GHz band that the FCC is currently writing rules for before investing three bills.. Very Happy Currently, I have on CL's 100/50 plan. I also have Comcast 250MB/50MB plan as a live fallback connection so I'd have to purchase two.

When I had 1G/1G CenturyLink required a new modem. The one issued was a ZyXEL C1100Z. I was only able to get 500M up/500M down speeds over a Cat6 wired to the modem. Likely CenturyLink decided to standardize on this equipment for training and tech support purposes but also cut corners. The modem itself has vDSL support. Eventually, I may go back to Gigabit and when that happens, it'll need to be with something that can support Gigabit. I was looking at a pfSense but will certainly check out the NetGear you recommend.

It's strange that CenturyLink would put $3500 worth of fiber gear outside and on the house but prefer to sell such a under-performer to be inside the house. The ZyXEL C1100Z they required that I purchase only supports 2.4GHz for WiFi... Rolling Eyes

Thanks again for the recommendation on the NetGear. Glad to read you found something that works. Have a link to your how-to?
AntiTrust
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:02    Post subject: Re: CenturyLink Fiber VLAN 201 Reply with quote
VernonDozier wrote:
AntiTrust wrote:
VernonDozier wrote:
I spent about 3 days researching this and found something that works, along with quite a bit of details..

I have two LinkSys/Cisco routers- A LinkSys/Cisco EA6300v1 (now running DD-WRT as a EA6400 Very Happy ). The LinkSys/Cisco EA6300v1 is similar to the EA6400, however, Cisco's firmware limits WiFi from the Broadcom processor slower. Getting DDWRT on a EA6300v1 a project all of itself, but this tutorial worked for me- http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1009864#1009864

I also have a LinkSys/Cisco E4200v1 which currently is only working as a wired router and performing VLAN translation. To get it working with CenturyLink, I found that loading Open-WRT with Luci on the E4200v1 accomplished VLAN translation properly. DD-WRT seems to have a limit of vlan tags as described by others above.

Through trial (and mostly) error, along with patience and a lot of reading and research, one person using WireShark found that DD-WRT is sending the PPPoE authentication to the WAN on VLAN 0. Ultimately, this means no authentication occurs or DHCP address given. There's very few posts online about this.

CenturyLink requires PPPoE authentication sent to the ONT (Mine is an AdTran) tagged to VLAN 201. I called CenturyLink, spoke to a tier 3 technician also. They offered to change the VLAN on the ONT to un-tagged, but it *still* didn't connect on either WRT platform on VLAN 0 or untagged. So, I don't know. However, and as you can imagine, I spent a lot of time trying to figure it out.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the info about the NetGear. I always had great experiences with their ProSafe line. In the specs you mention, I noticed your device is Triband, which likely adds to the premium cost. However, I think I may wait until the dust settles on the new 3.5GHz band that the FCC is currently writing rules for before investing three bills.. Very Happy Currently, I have on CL's 100/50 plan. I also have Comcast 250MB/50MB plan as a live fallback connection so I'd have to purchase two.

When I had 1G/1G CenturyLink required a new modem. The one issued was a ZyXEL C1100Z. I was only able to get 500M up/500M down speeds over a Cat6 wired to the modem. Likely CenturyLink decided to standardize on this equipment for training and tech support purposes but also cut corners. The modem itself has vDSL support. Eventually, I may go back to Gigabit and when that happens, it'll need to be with something that can support Gigabit. I was looking at a pfSense but will certainly check out the NetGear you recommend.

It's strange that CenturyLink would put $3500 worth of fiber gear outside and on the house but prefer to sell such a under-performer to be inside the house. The ZyXEL C1100Z they required that I purchase only supports 2.4GHz for WiFi... Rolling Eyes

Thanks again for the recommendation on the NetGear. Glad to read you found something that works. Have a link to your how-to?

With the Netgear managed switch handling the VLAN 201, that means you don't have to use CenturyLink's ZyXEL modem (or any other modem they offer matter of fact) with their service.

The ethernet cord that comes into the house from the ONT box plugs directly into port 1 on my Netgear managed switch. Then my Netgear Orbi plugs into port 2 of the switch. That's it! No CenturyLink equipment Very Happy I'm using all my own equipment. Really, you can use any router you want to plug into port 2 to use with your CL gigabit Internet. I simply chose the Orbi, because I live in an old home and needed that extra box to provide 4-5 bars of wifi for the first level of our home. I must say, I am VERY happy with the Orbi Smile But any router will do.

When I ran a speed test, I got 925Mbps down! w00t w00t! Shocked
ljfh001
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please see my post for the new solution now:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=318386
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: