RC7-9360 MEGA build for Fonera released (official RC7-9447)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
palmboy5
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 22:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Overheating just makes it more fun! ^^ unless you don't like to cut things up and mod them to prevent that.. Saw the 2100 in a retail store (gasp!) and grabbed it Smile Must have been sitting on that shelf for ever.

Anyway, why are the 2200 and 2201 cooler than the 2100? They all seem to use the same Atheros 2315 chip, I can't get my head around a simple PCB rearranging fixing thermal issues when the heat is from the CPU itself.

So what are the changes with this new build?

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 23:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
It has to do with voltage. :D

A few bug fixes.
PJMDS
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 23:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, I just flashed my fonera+ with the latest RC7 but something isn't working, I can't use wireless client mode, and the site survey function doesn't pick my wireless signals, I changed to AP mode, client mode, client bridge and the site survey continues to show nothing at all, after reseting it's working fine but has soon has I change the config that function stops to work :(

I want to put the fonera+ has client of my home wireless network encrypted with WPA, is that possible with the latest RC7 ?
palmboy5
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Simon wrote:

A few bug fixes.

Since the CPU is the same, that implies that the 2100 can be modified to decrease the voltage without bringing instabilities. Anyone have the pinouts for the CPU and preferably everything around it?

A few bug fixes eh.. where exactly are the release notes/where can I find the list of changes?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Client Bridged WPA+AES don't work on my 2100 Crying or Very sad
Simon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
palmboy5 wrote:
Simon wrote:

A few bug fixes.

Since the CPU is the same, that implies that the 2100 can be modified to decrease the voltage without bringing instabilities. Anyone have the pinouts for the CPU and preferably everything around it?

A few bug fixes eh.. where exactly are the release notes/where can I find the list of changes?

Who says the the Fon2200 is stable. Its booloader sometimes crashes, something the Fon2100 has never done. It runs at slower and cpu usage is higher on the Fon2200 than the Fon2100 and the flash memory is twice as SLOW. So it takes twice as long to flash. It is MUCH cheaply made compared to the Fon2100. It runs a bit cooler + a bit more sensitive, that's all.
desigabri
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 13:43    Post subject: Wrong MAC addresses Reply with quote
Hi, i would like to know if there is a bug in fonera version of firmware that assignes MAC addresses for virtual intefaces, changing the first two exadecimal numbers in the place of changing the last twice. Is this made for pourpose or is it a mistake?
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 15:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
its made with purpose to provide collisions. its a common way to change the first number instead of the last ones

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
palmboy5 wrote:
Overheating just makes it more fun! ^^ unless you don't like to cut things up and mod them to prevent that.. Saw the 2100 in a retail store (gasp!) and grabbed it Smile Must have been sitting on that shelf for ever.

Anyway, why are the 2200 and 2201 cooler than the 2100? They all seem to use the same Atheros 2315 chip, I can't get my head around a simple PCB rearranging fixing thermal issues when the heat is from the CPU itself.

So what are the changes with this new build?

the 21xx and 22xx series are made by different companies. so you cannot compare them. the 22xx may be cooler, but has other hardware issues. the rf part is too close to the dram lines for example. this causes crashes by dram corruption

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks BS for your great work!!
I have two FxxoX 2200 and one 2100 at the moment i have upgrade to your latest firmware "build 9379". I have try to find some explaination about WDS & Fxn Router, someone confuse the WDS with Bridge feature, but as i can understood the WDS system have only one SSID broadcast from one AP to some other AP/staion that repeat this SSID and broadcast new WiFi signal to client.
On your firmware i have found the "Wireless Mode" WDS-AP & WDS-Station i have try to configure this feature on my router but seems only make a trasparent bridge without re-broadcast the WiFi signal the WDS-Station use only WAN ethernet port.
Is the right way?
The only one way to simulate a WDS system is to use the option "Wireless Mode" "AP" and WDS Tab/Mac address option, but in this way every AP transmit a different SSID. Is ok or i have made some mistake?
Many thanks for your reply
Dimiz
Simon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 0:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Has anyone noticed client-mode causing fon2200 to freeze and making it inaccessible from the WEBGUI, thus requiring a reboot?

This issue had not occurred when running an old "beta" release (0516).
palmboy5
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
What I noticed with my F*n2100 Client-Bridging to my second AR430W AP is:
RC5 - Success. Able to access either router with the ethernet cable connected to either router.
RC7-9360 - Semi-Success. Able to access either router ONLY with the ethernet cable connected to the F*n (Client-bridge side).
RC7-9379 - Fail. Both routers show that they are connecting to the other in the Wireless status page, as usual. However, no means of accessing the router that is not connected by the ethernet cable.

Note: both are upgraded to the same version each time

This isn't very progressive.... I'm afraid what the next build is going to do.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
RC-2 is still the most stable for me. I live in area with a lot of different Wifis and the frequencies of the routers tend to overlap.
The new wifi driver could receive some packet with error is not recognized as "wrong" every now and then and the data in it corrupt the state of the driver.
What about to reuse to the old code that was managing the wifi pretty well?

-Camicia
jaymode
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Camicia wrote:
RC-2 is still the most stable for me. I live in area with a lot of different Wifis and the frequencies of the routers tend to overlap.
The new wifi driver could receive some packet with error is not recognized as "wrong" every now and then and the data in it corrupt the state of the driver.
What about to reuse to the old code that was managing the wifi pretty well?

-Camicia

Interesting that you say that. I have tried almost every one before RC7 and they were all unstable for me and I live in the same type of area. I live in an apartment complex where there are 12 units in each building and every one has wireless.

RC7-9360 has worked the best for me.
Camicia
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
jaymode wrote:

Interesting that you say that. I have tried almost every one before RC7 and they were all unstable for me and I live in the same type of area. I live in an apartment complex where there are 12 units in each building and every one has wireless.

RC7-9360 has worked the best for me.

I think we need to understand what unstable means for you.
For me the RC2 stops working between 2 to 15 days.
It usually lasts more than a week. Usually it is just the wireless that does not work. It is not just my computer but all the computers connected. I can connect through the internet and another wireless ads I can reboot from the interface.
I am using a WEP-128 encription. I could improve the stability of the connection using less crawed channels in the middle of the standard channel (1, 6, 11). I used 3,4,8,or 9. I think that in case of high traffic the fonera wifi receives some bad frames that are not recognized as bad and that crashes the wifi driver.

Regarding the RCs after the RC4, the fonera could survive maximum 2 days. Sometimes I needed to unplug it because I could not acces from the internet.

I know that BS rewrite completely some parst of the wifi driver. I think that this create new bugs. I know that sometime is necssary to refactor the code but I think is really wise to stick to the old motto "if it works, do not break it", expecially when we are in RC phases.

-Camicia
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 17, 18, 19  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 7 of 19
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: