AR430W RC 6.2 reproducible crash

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
remaker
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:16    Post subject: AR430W RC 6.2 reproducible crash Reply with quote
OK, this is making me crazy. The MacBook wireless does not like the AR430W.

But now, I managed to get it to crash regularly!

If I run http://speedtest.speakeasy.net, a test stream over the school 3MB DSL will cause the AR430W to crash. It reboots, complete with 4-3-2-1 countdown LEDs. And no evidence of why.

Is there any additional diagnostic data I can collect to report a bug?

Testing at home with an 800k DSL download link on a PC (Broadcom) based wireless Mini-PC card on a Win XP laptop, I cannot make it crash.

I did get two different units to crash every time with the Speakeasy speed test. These are the same units that have provided intermittent connectivity issue to the teachers using Macs in that room.

Some people are unhappy with my choice of AR430W Smile As an aside I am looking for better DD-WRT capable hardware to run an access point on....
Sponsor
n2locarz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here's my levels:

Router: Airlink AR-430W
DD-WRT Firmware: DD-WRT v24 RC-5 (11/23/07) std - build 8426M

I'm running from a Core2Duo/Vista laptop. No errors to report (as you might have suspected).

Is your AR430W reporting high packet loss? I would test both of your machines and monitor the outputs if possible.

Try different settings, such as disabling wep/wpa, changing channels, levels, etc.

Also try restoring the default settings and reflashing the firwmare.

One last thing to try is to go back to the v24 RC-5 level and retest it.

Could you please tell me where you got v6.2? Thanks a bunch.
remaker
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
n2locarz wrote:
Is your AR430W reporting high packet loss? I would test both of your machines and monitor the outputs if possible.

How would I tell? Where do I look? I do have high Output errors, if that is an indication.

n2locarz wrote:
Try different settings, such as disabling wep/wpa, changing channels, levels, etc.

Same with WEP and WPA2 Personal.

n2locarz wrote:

Since it happens on two different units, I would not suspect this but I may try anyway. I'd prefer to have some other form of diagnostic.

n2locarz wrote:

RC5 had other problems....

n2locarz wrote:

Downloads section, release candidates.
n2locarz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
How would I tell? Where do I look? I do have high Output errors, if that is an indication.

You can watch the packets from the status page of the router's http page. It's not realistic to real-time monitor it though. The best way is to enable logging and set it to high. Should be under the Admin/Services tab. Connect another pc via ethernet and load a snmp logger on it. Watch the last packets before the crash to see if anything looks suspect.

n2locarz wrote:

Since it happens on two different units, I would not suspect this but I may try anyway. I'd prefer to have some other form of diagnostic.

I would try it. Had a problem that was solved by reflashing to the same firmware. Does make sense but it worked.

n2locarz wrote:

RC5 had other problems....

Care to mention them? That's the firmware level I'm currently running.

n2locarz wrote:

Downloads section, release candidates.[/quote]

Thanks, I will check it out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: