DD-WRT & WDS on E2000, E2500

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
sddynamix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 19:30    Post subject: DD-WRT & WDS on E2000, E2500 Reply with quote
Running into an interesting issue trying to setup WDS.
Now, I understand that bandwidth gets halved with every hop, but that should be the total available bandwidth, not the WAN bandwidth (if I understand correctly, and I could be wrong).

I have a Linksys E2000 setup as the WAN router (connected to our cable modem). WAN bandwidth is 50Mbps (confirmed, as speedtests from the cable modem are 50 Mbps). From the E2000, connected either wired or wirelessly, bandwidth is still 50 Mbps (Radio is NG-Mixed, testing with N devices).

I have two Linksys E2500's connected as WDS Nodes to the E2000, daisy chained E2000 <-> E2500 <-> E2500. The WDS works at all points (i've verified with an ethernet cable connected to each router, and they can communicate). However, I noticed that the WAN bandwidth is reduced with every hop.

As mentioned, the E2000 gets full bandwidth (50 Mbps). When I connect a cable to the first E2500 and run a test, my maximum throughput is 30Mbps. Likewise, when I connect a cable to my last E2500, my maximum throughput is 20Mbps. I am getting roughly 66% of my WAN bandwidth.

All three routers are running at 300Mbps, at the first hop I imagine I'd still have 150Mbps available, and at the 2nd, 75Mbps (well above the 50Mbps WAN bandwidth).

I'm sure I'm missing something important - if anyone could shed some insight as to what that may be, it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsor
lepa71
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are you connected with 2.4 or 5 band?
I have similar setup, but when I use 2.4 band I wouldn't get full 300 or not even 150 mbps. It's all depends on distance, signal quality and polution of other routers near by. Try 5ghz band and see if you get better throughput.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: