Development Request - GL-AR150

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
cherokeesix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 13:36    Post subject: Development Request - GL-AR150 Reply with quote
Hi-

I would like to request a port of dd-wrt for the GL-AR150. Perhaps this is more of a need to debug current versions...?

A similar version of this unit, the GL-iNet 6416 runs any of the 2016 beta's for the TPLink WR703V1/WR701V1 with no issue.

I've used the uboot gui to load the fw, but the AR150 never boots.

Any ideas? I'm not a coder, but I can certainly help test...

Thanks,
David
Sponsor
cherokeesix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 14:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is a serial header in there; I'll hook up a cable and investigate tftp and see what messages are generated.

Thanks-
David
cherokeesix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 17:18    Post subject: Bootloader Capture and Screenshots Reply with quote
Ok- using serial console I captured the flashing/boot process for both the stock OpenWRT image and the recommended TPlink 710 image. Attached are text captures and a couple of screen shots of where it shows an error on the 'Image Type'.

Let me know if I can help anyone with further testing...

Thanks,
David
cherokeesix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Adding OpenWRT booting normally screenshot. Wouldn't allow me to add in prior post.
cherokeesix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
A thought- here is the boot process on the gl.inet 6416 router. It's running a dd-wrt load for the wr703n.
alzhao
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
DDWRT for TPLink routers cannot boot on AR150 because of uboot and Linux headers.

You can try other profiles e.g. 8device carambola2. The kernel boots but stops in the middle.

It is better for ddwrt to add support for this router directly.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
alzhao wrote:
DDWRT for TPLink routers cannot boot on AR150 because of uboot and Linux headers.

It can't boot even if you remove uboot and fix up the header.
This is a very useful small soapbox router and it is cheap so someone with enough interest in a ddwrt port should buy one and donate it to Brainslayer.
There won't be any porting if he doesn't get the hardware to test on.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,
LOM wrote:
This is a very useful small soapbox router and it is cheap so someone with enough interest in a ddwrt port should buy one and donate it to Brainslayer.
There won't be any porting if he doesn't get the hardware to test on.

I could swear I saw an OpenWRT page listing hardware donations needed by developers on their project. But I can't find it so I guess I'm wrong Embarassed

Would it make sense for dd-wrt to create sticky threads in the most-used hardware forums listing "Wanted Dead or Alive (hopefully Alive)" routers to donate to BS and other developers? HTH.

Clemmitt
cherokeesix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
This thing is inexpensive enough I'd be happy to donate for the cause. It's just a very useful form factor- and with plenty of resources etc., I'd like to see it supported.

I'll take a look at the donation process- I've looked at it before.

Thanks...
David
donphillipe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 0:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
The router comes shipped with OpenWRT, likely for a reason. Just go into the advanced interface to do your port forwarding and other high-level tweaking. If you are unhappy with support for only the China telcom modems listed in the panel for selection, a simple firmware upgrade is all that's required to provide a long list of modems, world wide issued. Check out http://ofmodemsandmen.com which supports a long list of cell modems via special ports of OpenWRT. Add the fact that this device running OpenWRT can also easily work as a client or server for OpenVPN, plus the GL-AR150 has a very low current drain, great for battery/solar implementations.

As a long time user of dd-wrt, I faced the switch to OpenWRT with a lot of resistance. But I am happy I made the switch. All of my routers are working with no glitches using their latest version of Chaos Calmer. (My two Buffalo units I was about to trash for locking up, now work flawlessly). If you are looking for a device to support your cell modem USB dongle, this is going to be your most robust and flexible solution. The Luci interface is a little hard to get used to after years of dd-wrt, but after the initial stumbling, you'll be well on your way to happiness.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: