DD-WRT BETA for ASUS RT-AC66U?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Ruined1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 0:50    Post subject: DD-WRT BETA for ASUS RT-AC66U? Reply with quote
Anyone know of a working DD-WRT Beta for the ASUS RT-AC66U?

Tried:
02-09-2016-r29059
02-17-2016-r29114

Both cause the router not to be able to pull a WAN IP from the modem. Had to revert to *gasp* factory firmware.
Sponsor
slobodan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Use a Kong build. Otherwise, stick to Asuswrt Merlin or John's fork of Asuswrt Merlin.

2 times RT-AC56U running DD-WRT 45493 (one as Gateway, the other as AP, both bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Asus RT-N16 shelved

E4200 V1 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Linksys WRT610N V2 converted to E3000 and 1 original E3000 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

Ruined1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
slobodan wrote:
Use a Kong build. Otherwise, stick to Asuswrt Merlin or John's fork of Asuswrt Merlin.

Do you prefer one over the other? Thanks for the quick reply.
slobodan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ruined1 wrote:
Do you prefer one over the other? Thanks for the quick reply.

In DD-WRT land Kong builds are fairly well tested, so it is almost certain that they work.

Of course, Asuswrt is much faster than DD-WRT, since it uses CTF.

So, if you want many advanced options, use Kong builds, if you want speed and up-to-date Asus-like firmware, use Asuswrt Merlin, if you want speed and WiFi range, use John's fork.

2 times RT-AC56U running DD-WRT 45493 (one as Gateway, the other as AP, both bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Asus RT-N16 shelved

E4200 V1 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Linksys WRT610N V2 converted to E3000 and 1 original E3000 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

cookieboyeli
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:06    Post subject: Re: DD-WRT BETA for ASUS RT-AC66U? Reply with quote
Ruined1 wrote:
Anyone know of a working DD-WRT Beta for the ASUS RT-AC66U?

Tried:
02-09-2016-r29059
02-17-2016-r29114

Both cause the router not to be able to pull a WAN IP from the modem. Had to revert to *gasp* factory firmware.

I've been running 02-09-2016-r29059 since it came out on my AC66U. I did notice a reboot was required to get the WAN IP from my Arris SB6182 last time the power went out. Sometimes you have to reboot both and let one come up before rebooting the other. Just keep rebooting stuff through the firmware lol.

However, you should know that there are a number of quirks with this router though that are probably what's tripping you up. If you can return it and get the AC68U do so ASAP.

If not, continue on reading:

It doesn't flash to DD-WRT as you'd normally expect. You'll see it throw up the CFE as if it's failed the flash, but it hasn't. That comes up every flash. It may reboot numerous times before the GUI becomes available.

Do not under any circumstances 30/30/30 reset this thing! It doesn't clear the NVRAM properly and will cause you pain and suffering. Anything can happen if you do that. It may appear as if it's dead, throwing TTL=100 or nothing at all unless you change your default IP. (Peacock thread says what/how to do that, otherwise the majority of the instructions there DON'T WORK FOR THIS ROUTER).

It can't erase NVRAM completly and will get corrupted if you try to do so. Your ONLY option for clearing settings is "reset to default/factory settings" through whatever firmware you're using.

If you corrupt it, you must flash 26339 and reset to default settings. ALWAYS reset to default settings before and after all flashes, it might not be needed 100% of the time, but a lot of times it is. I highly recommend flashing to that build first and upgrading from there.

Always keep a copy of 26339 on hand.

Corrupting it will result in 5GHz becoming unavailable and appearing as 2.4GHz QAM256 in the GUI as well as creating other issues.

If you're using Chrome, use a guest profile. There is a bug that only appears when using a personal profile through Chrome. It doesn't matter if the PC is freshly formatted and your synced data was deleted and reimported, you'll still have settings you tried to erase appear when clicking the administration tab. (Themes, overclocking settings, etc.) When that happens you CANNOT hit apply there or else you will corrupt the build and need to start over. Yes, I know that is beyond strange, but that's how it is.

My google chrome sync data/profile will carry settings over to an entirely different AC66U even if nothing else I own or have touched before has interacted with that AC66U in any way. I haven't the foggiest idea why this occurs, but it does without fail. Other people's profiles don't do it. ????

So:

1. Reset to factory default on stock firmware.
2. Flash 26339 without touching hardware buttons.
3. WAIT for it to do it's thing, ping it if you're curious, may have to change IP. When successful reset to default settings immediately.
4. Flash 29059 (latest stable I can confirm), reset to default settings.

Do whatever you want, but don't press/hold any hardware buttons (power instead of unplugging is OK for convenience only)

Don't change QoS Settings from HTB to HFSC.

Don't muck around in the Administration panel too much (OC is ok most do 632MHz, mine does 650MHz, just keep visits to the minimum as it's particularly prone to issues.)

When you screw it up, no need to flash to stock firmware, just 26339 and reset to factory settings through GUI only will fix it.

Good luck, you'll need it. Laughing
muckerphuck
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have tried a few on my RT-AC66U. I am using a pair of these for a wds bridge.

27858 - soft brick once wds mac added, known issue. Had to clear nvram the bad way, lost 5 GHz, it turned to 2.4 turboqam. http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=264152

26339 - to return 5 GHz to normal.

29059 - random link disconnects, would also lose wl1 tab in gui.

29048 - No issues, been running for a few days now.

[Broadcom] Asus RT-AC66U - Bridges x 2 - DD-WRT v3.0-r29193 giga (03/02/16 ) K3X
[Broadcom] Asus RT-N16 - Access Point - DD-WRT v3.0-r37442 big ( 10/19/18 ) K3X
[Mikrotik] Wap60g - Bridges x 2 - RouterOS v6
cookieboyeli
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:

29059 - random link disconnects, would also lose wl1 tab in gui.

Now that you mention it, I did disconnect once or twice shortly after flashing and that tab was missing. Second reboot resolved it, no other issues for several days now.(Already rebooted after flash).

29134 looks promising. Will report back.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Build 26138 works great on my rt-ac66u. I can reset it, erase nvram, do whatever I want. Set up in client bridge.

Navigation

Jump to: