Kong's 29020 build of 15 FEB '16

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
lim
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 13:36    Post subject: Kong's 29020 build of 15 FEB '16 Reply with quote
Just a note, which may or may not be of interest or useful, that for my WRT1900ACS, the subject build is thus far proving to be the best all-round solution. I believe that others have the same or similar experiences.

Regards, lim
Sponsor
Fez27
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 14:17    Post subject: DD-WRT v3.0-r29020M kongmv (02/15/16) WRT1900AC V1 Reply with quote
Very stable build so far, Only thing to point out is after making changes often the router needs a reboot.

Haven't had any instability and had since 15th, solid biuld I had the router running at 100% load for over 2 hours moving massive amounts of data off my SAMBA NAS onto another drive.

Didn't have an issue although I did decide to run a laptop cooler under the router which gives me at least 10 to 15 degrees less on the cpu. Max temps I have seen were 68 degrees with the laptop cooler attached and easily gets to 75 degrees without the laptop cooler and spins up the fan for 3 secs and then off and 10 seconds later it spins up again (hence the laptop cooler). Hows the temps on the ACS?

Wireless speeds good, cant test WAN throughput I have a very slow line oops.

Eyerex
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm using 02/17/16 with my WRT1900ACS and it's definitely had a WiFi tweak from the last build as for some reason i have a bit of a dead zone in my bathroom and with an iPad i would only get one bar or none but with 02/17/16 i'm getting full bars now with my iPad so i can watch TV while i have a nice long bath Smile
jsebean
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 15:55    Post subject: Re: DD-WRT v3.0-r29020M kongmv (02/15/16) WRT1900AC V1 Reply with quote
Fez27 wrote:
Very stable build so far, Only thing to point out is after making changes often the router needs a reboot.

Haven't had any instability and had since 15th, solid biuld I had the router running at 100% load for over 2 hours moving massive amounts of data off my SAMBA NAS onto another drive.

Didn't have an issue although I did decide to run a laptop cooler under the router which gives me at least 10 to 15 degrees less on the cpu. Max temps I have seen were 68 degrees with the laptop cooler attached and easily gets to 75 degrees without the laptop cooler and spins up the fan for 3 secs and then off and 10 seconds later it spins up again (hence the laptop cooler). Hows the temps on the ACS?

Wireless speeds good, cant test WAN throughput I have a very slow line oops.

NTFS-3G is very CPU intensive. It is absolutely fine for it to run at 75 degrees. The passively cooled units idle at that. It becomes concern if you start approaching 90-100 degrees, in which case your house would be very hot or you have a hardware issue. This is not a software issue and if you tell this to the developers they'll ignore it, because it's not an issue. Don't get hung up on it.

OEM Satellite internet -- I'll likely get back to DD-WRT again when I get better internet
Fez27
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes I was not complaining but illustating the stability of the build.

Smile

jsebean
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fez27 wrote:
Yes I was not complaining but illustating the stability of the build.

Smile

But I'm saying the cooler is unnecessary.

And if you're annoyed by the fan spinning up and down constantly adjust the temperatures in the DD-WRT interface so it doesn't turn off until it's a little lower, that should solve that then you wont need that obnoxious cooler Smile

OEM Satellite internet -- I'll likely get back to DD-WRT again when I get better internet
aluisperezh
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mi experience is that 02/04 build is stable and much faster than any other firmware I've tested, even official. Wireless download speed goes to 7x faster.

Regards.
Fez27
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
@jsebean

Every build i have tested this on it doesnt work so i gave up. Firstly the degrees on the option "Fan on" is 10 degrees higher than on the gui. Ie mine is 65 so it spins up at 75 degrees. And then no matter wat u set the "Fan off" setting to it doesnt recognise anything it switches off as it goes under wat the "Fan on" setting is. So its a constant spinning up and down of the fan as a result which bugs me more than a constant noise from the cooler and the routers fan being used constantly. It never goes above 69 degrees now so the fan on the router never gets used.

Well the cooler isnt too big nd keeps it under 70 always so cooler router = longer lifetime hopefully since its my NAS as well.

If I set the "Fan on" setting to spin the fan at 85 degrees the router does climb that high on a normal day so that for me is not an option as you would still end up with constant spinning up and switching off of the fan

jsebean
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fez27 wrote:
@jsebean

Every build i have tested this on it doesnt work so i gave up. Firstly the degrees on the option "Fan on" is 10 degrees higher than on the gui. Ie mine is 65 so it spins up at 75 degrees. And then no matter wat u set the "Fan off" setting to it doesnt recognise anything it switches off as it goes under wat the "Fan on" setting is. So its a constant spinning up and down of the fan as a result which bugs me more than a constant noise from the cooler and the routers fan being used constantly. It never goes above 69 degrees now so the fan on the router never gets used.

Well the cooler isnt too big nd keeps it under 70 always so cooler router = longer lifetime hopefully since its my NAS as well.

If I set the "Fan on" setting to spin the fan at 85 degrees the router does climb that high on a normal day so that for me is not an option as you would still end up with constant spinning up and switching off of the fan

Huh weird. Is there a bug report for that?

Fez27
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 18:20    Post subject: Fan on and Fan off setting on gui Reply with quote
I am not sure, I will test it and let u know if still an issue. Much easier to test when is in my room and is currently in the Hallway and family is busy with it so prob test tomorrow.

Didn't test it on the 15-02 and 18-02 builds yet as I had gotten the cooler already. but I do know the fan on still recognizes 10 degrees higher.

Yea when i was testing it I wasnt aware of bug tickets etc.

Fez27
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
aluisperezh wrote:
Mi experience is that 02/04 build is stable and much faster than any other firmware I've tested, even official. Wireless download speed goes to 7x faster.

Regards.

Have u tested on the 15-02 build? And are u referring to 801.11ac speeds wen u say 7x faster?

aluisperezh
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fez27 wrote:

Have u tested on the 15-02 build? And are u referring to 801.11ac speeds wen u say 7x faster?

No, my new AC card is coming by mail. My wife and sons use AC and just "feel" it's faster. On my PC DL speed is around 140 Mbps with 02/04 and goes under 20 Mbps with any newer build.

Connection is 300/30. When wired I get 310/32.

I hope the AC card arrives this week. I'll report back (because of course I'll keep testing Smile).

Regards.
MrDoh
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the "fan on" set at 85 degrees, and "fan off" at 80 degrees in the "Services" tab. I don't think that the fan goes on much if at all, and the highest temperature I've seen when I check is less maybe 79 degrees, usually less than that by a couple of degrees. I wanted to set it so that the router was safe, but yet the fan wouldn't be going on and off all the time, and I feel that's where I'm currently at.

I know that the router wouldn't be harmed with temps even in the low 90's, but I don't feel good about that. 85 degrees is my personal choice *smile*. Working well for me.
Fez27
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
MrDoh wrote:
I have the "fan on" set at 85 degrees, and "fan off" at 80 degrees in the "Services" tab. I don't think that the fan goes on much if at all, and the highest temperature I've seen when I check is less maybe 79 degrees, usually less than that by a couple of degrees. I wanted to set it so that the router was safe, but yet the fan wouldn't be going on and off all the time, and I feel that's where I'm currently at.

I know that the router wouldn't be harmed with temps even in the low 90's, but I don't feel good about that. 85 degrees is my personal choice *smile*. Working well for me.

Can you confirm you router model and if the temps on the gui are correct in regards to when the fan switches on and off as my mine is always 10 degrees above wat i set as mentioned previously. Fan on setting is currently 70 degrees and fan switches on at 80 degrees and switches off immediately as it goes below the fan on setting doesnt go down to the fan off setting.

MrDoh
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fez27 wrote:
MrDoh wrote:

Can you confirm you router model and if the temps on the gui are correct in regards to when the fan switches on and off as my mine is always 10 degrees above wat i set as mentioned previously. Fan on setting is currently 70 degrees and fan switches on at 80 degrees and switches off immediately as it goes below the fan on setting doesnt go down to the fan off setting.

Sorry, should have mentioned WRT1900ACv1. Yes, playing with the router with the fan set at 65/60 (default) verified that the temperature range was correct for me. Never saw it over 65 or under 60 degrees *smile*. There was also a fan speed command line script that gave the current fan speed that I used to verify that the fan was on when I thought it was, since it is hard to hear at the default "less than half" power (at least at this point, these things tend to change with time):

Code:
while true; do a=`cat /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon2/temp1_input`; b=`cat /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon1/temp1_input`; c=`cat /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon2/temp2_input`; d=`date +"%H:%M:%S"`; f=`cat /sys/devices/pwm_fan/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1`; echo $d CPUtemp=$(($b/1000))" "WLOtemp=$(($a/1000))" "WL1temp=$(($c/1000)) fanstatus=$f;sleep 1; done

Don't know if the above still works, haven't used it some time.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: