Router CPU temperature

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
mwchang
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 13:13    Post subject: Temperature of Asus RT-N18U Reply with quote
CPU Temperature CPU 74.7 °C / WL0 49.1 °C

Is this way too hot? Or was it just a calibration issue?

Should I add an external fan?

Drink, Blink, Stretch! Live long and prosper! May the Force and farces be with you!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/changmanwai
SETI@Home profile: http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/view_profile.php?userid=211832
GitHub: https://github.com/changmw/changmw
Sponsor
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Personally....If I had a unit running consistently over 65C...I'd add a fan.

Most Military spec testing is done at several temperatures...two being 60C and 90C. Getting near 75C+ on commercial (non-military) device...I'd be adding a fan for sure.

redhawk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Stumbled on this topic and created an account just for the same specific issue, CPU Temp. from a BCM4708, using a D-Link DIR-868L, tried putting a fan under it, 220v AC Fan usually used for Data Cabinets, temps are the ff.:

CPU - 60°C
Wireless Temp.
2.4G - 42°C
5G - 42°C

Tried creating airways for it(putting a bunch of holes under it for the air to move in), anyways can't seem to lower it even further other than opening the RF Shield of the CPU and replacing thermal pads.

So is this normal temp. for the CPU or should I do some more drastic measures to fix the temp.?
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
These cpus can handle 80 to 95 degrees just fine. Built to do that if you read the spec sheets.

For those of you who say it will cause early life failure, well there will be a new shinny router catching your eye anyway.

--bill

ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
thewaywardgeek013
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
myersw wrote:
These cpus can handle 80 to 95 degrees just fine. Built to do that if you read the spec sheets.

For those of you who say it will cause early life failure, well there will be a new shinny router catching your eye anyway.

--bill

Ohh thank you! Been scouring the net for that info! I though I was going bananas seeing the temp. rise up like that!

Anyways can't seem to find any info on the spec sheets other than this.

https://www.broadcom.com/products/wireless/wireless-lan-infrastructure/bcm4707-4708-4709
awm34x
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just added a laptop cooling pad and temp went quickly from 70+C to 55C.

Mine's a Tree New Bee TNB-F003 for less than $15 on Amazon.
redpawn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 21:53    Post subject: Passive cooling Reply with quote
I've notice over the years that consumer routers are not well designed to take advantage of passive cooling. Yes air can get in from the bottom but it can seldom flow out the top, thus creating a hot surface to reflect back heat to the board. A second problem is that the main board sits horizontal reducing airflow over the heat sinks and chips.
I have found that my netgear r7000 processor is 4C cooler just by raising the left side about an inch. This allows hot air to flow up the board from the right side toward the left side and out the vent on the left side. My linksys routers have also been more stable and cooler by placing a spacer under the front allowing heat to flow out the front rather than gathering under the dome in the top center which otherwise get nice and warm.

Bryant

nolimitz
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
my R6300v2 (standing router, airflow should be better!) idles at 76C and room temperature is 24-28C, its been like this for three years now no issues. when Air-condition is on and cool air hits the router, router temperature becomes 65C.
kushwavez
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
RT-AC56U:
WAS CPU ~85 °C / WL0 ~50 °C / WL1 ~58 °C for years in new condition so it's normal

Yesterday I had to disassemble the router because It's got dropped then I became aware of that my router is touching 98 °C when idling. I found out that one of the heatsink's screw has been broken after the drop.

I fixed that but this time I used a higher quality ThermalGrizzly Thermal Pad. Now the temperatures are around CPU 79.4 °C / WL0 52.1 °C / WL1 55.8 °C it's pretty good, nothing to worry about. Also it's summer now so the avg outside temperatere is way higher in that room when my router is.

I won't use any aircoolers because:
1.: The router is pretty okay with these temperatures because they are designed to handle these temps
2.: The dust. I am not touching the routers unless I really have to, so the router is in it's place for years w/out any interactions, if I use an aircooler then it'll definitely become really dusty.

I also had a very old TP-Link router and it was working for 5 years straight with a flashed DD-WRT (only restarted because power outlets or smth like that). It's pretty yellowed old now, but it's working right now in my friend's house as I gave it to him.
So anyway these routers are pretty good with high temperatures. Smile
Malmgren
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi all.
My D-Link DIR-868L has been running nice and well for years and years. Today I happened to look at the status page and saw the following:

...which kinda shocked me a bit, and then a quick Google search sent me to this thread. I guess a temperature like this should be a problem, right? The router in question is in a little cabinet together with some servers, NAS etc, but it's not particularly warm in there.

Should I dismantle the router and check if cpu cooler is badly fitted? Anything else I should look at? Or is this perfectly fine (keeping in mind that I actually haven't had any problem with it)?
kushwavez
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malmgren wrote:
Hi all.
My D-Link DIR-868L has been running nice and well for years and years. Today I happened to look at the status page and saw the following:

...which kinda shocked me a bit, and then a quick Google search sent me to this thread. I guess a temperature like this should be a problem, right? The router in question is in a little cabinet together with some servers, NAS etc, but it's not particularly warm in there.

Should I dismantle the router and check if cpu cooler is badly fitted? Anything else I should look at? Or is this perfectly fine (keeping in mind that I actually haven't had any problem with it)?

Well it is idling at 100 °C so I guess it's not normal. Yes, you should disassemble it and see if the sink is well-fitted or not. If the screws are okay then I guess you could try to replace the thermal pad.
rodrigocoelho
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 0:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, I'm having exactly the same problem.
Did you fix it?
Everything working good here, but with around 100c temperature.

Thanks
Malmgren wrote:
Hi all.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
rodrigocoelho wrote:
Hi, I'm having exactly the same problem.
Did you fix it?
Everything working good here, but with around 100c temperature.

Nope. I bought a tube of cooling paste but I actually never came around of doing anything with it. And the router is still working fine, although these temperatures worry me a bit...

/Daniel
Circling Overland
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Same chip here, router is a Linksys EA6400. Temp is ok.
Running build DD-WRT v3.0-r46301 std (04/07/21).

2021-04-08 21_18_17-Window.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  5.95 KB
 Viewed:  5023 Time(s)

2021-04-08 21_18_17-Window.png

devsk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have been running TP-Link Archer C9 for almost 10 years and it has always shown 75C at idle. Still keeps chugging along with great performance.

I know this is a year old thread but because lot of folks have come here looking to validate their router temperatures, I just wanted to add my input.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: