New build: DD-WRT v3.0 --- 29085 --- 2016/02/15

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
GreyDoc
DD-WRT User


Joined: 04 Jun 2015
Posts: 392

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 14:09    Post subject: New build: DD-WRT v3.0 --- 29085 --- 2016/02/15 Reply with quote
DD-WRT build 29085 - 2016/02/15 has been released: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/02-15-2016-r29085/

Changelog: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=279466

Your reports for Marvell units are greatly appreciated !
Router:
Firmware:
Kernel:
Status:
Reset:
Errors:
Sponsor
aluisperezh
DD-WRT User


Joined: 09 Feb 2016
Posts: 68

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Router: WRT1900AC v1
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r29085 std (02/15/16)
Kernel: Linux 3.18.26 #63 SMP Mon Feb 1 01:05:07 CET 2016 armv7l
Status: OK
Reset: Yes
Errors: None

But still 2.4GHz WiFi is much slower than with Kong's 29020:

- DL (Kong): 140 Mbps
- DL (this release): 20 Mbps

Configuration made from scratch
myersw
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 13 Jun 2006
Posts: 1609
Location: SE Michigan USA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just installed a few minutes ago on wrt1900ac v1. Limited testing does not show any issues.

Installed then applied backup, figuring the wifi driver is still the same so should not be any issues.

My download speed tests a little better but I only have a 12Mb down link which ATT Uverse seems to provision for 15. Got 16.6Mbps on 5GHz wireless which is very good for my downloads, usually more like 15.

Ping times using 5Ghz wireless on the Windows PC that has a TP-Link T4U and has shown slow ping times until Brainslayer 29048. Earlier builds including Kong 29020 have had 15 to 30ms. Starting with Brainslayer 29048 pings got better, 2 to 5ms. With this build it is a solid 2ms. Looks like Brainslayer is onto something to make this .16 driver better. Other devices such as Chromebook, Android tablet, iPhone and Windows 10 laptop have always shown better times depending on the particular load.

I do not do anything fancy, like VPN. Just basics. Do streaming of movies, like most folks seem to do.

Will update if problems show up.

--bill

_________________
Unifi Security Gateway: Unifi Firmware
Netgear r7800: Voxel Firmware
Modem:Netgear CM500V voice and Data.
ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
Brewder
DD-WRT User


Joined: 26 Dec 2015
Posts: 178

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:52    Post subject: Kernel Reply with quote
Just curious... When/why do Marvell units get the updated Linux Kernel?

Change log indicated a new version, but it didn't apply to Marvell units apparently.

So when do we get them?

//Brew
Jack82
DD-WRT User


Joined: 26 Jan 2015
Posts: 229

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:18    Post subject: Re: Kernel Reply with quote
Brewder wrote:
Just curious... When/why do Marvell units get the updated Linux Kernel?

For Marvell the 3.18 kernel branch is still used, specifically 3.18.26 in this build.

If you mean why it's not 3.18.27, it's because it was just released like 10 hours ago https://www.kernel.org/
If you've thought about the 4.4 branch, then probably because there are still issues with it, as talked about in the broadcom forum.
MrDoh
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 04 Dec 2012
Posts: 650

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
myersw wrote:
Just installed a few minutes ago on wrt1900ac v1. Limited testing does not show any issues.

Installed then applied backup, figuring the wifi driver is still the same so should not be any issues.

My download speed tests a little better but I only have a 12Mb down link which ATT Uverse seems to provision for 15. Got 16.6Mbps on 5GHz wireless which is very good for my downloads, usually more like 15.

Ping times using 5Ghz wireless on the Windows PC that has a TP-Link T4U and has shown slow ping times until Brainslayer 29048. Earlier builds including Kong 29020 have had 15 to 30ms. Starting with Brainslayer 29048 pings got better, 2 to 5ms. With this build it is a solid 2ms. Looks like Brainslayer is onto something to make this .16 driver better. Other devices such as Chromebook, Android tablet, iPhone and Windows 10 laptop have always shown better times depending on the particular load.

--bill


Does this firmware release have multiple upper channels, or does only channel 149 work? My experience was (with previous releases) that other upper channels would be listed, but only 149 really worked.

Thanks!
MrDoh
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 04 Dec 2012
Posts: 650

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay, just gave this one a try, and found (with Bill's help *smile*) that channel 157 does work at 40MHz. channel width. Which would be enough.

Using my iPad Air 2 test client, found the ping times to be fine. Marginally higher than normal (19/20ms instead of 15ms on the iPad), but no problem. Problem is that on an internet speed test, I'm seeing throughput at 50-60Mbps on a connection where I usually see 150Mbps or over. So that's just a mite low.
LookingForMyMojo
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 29 Aug 2014
Posts: 693

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Flashed on my WRT1900ACv2 successfully. Was running well.
Just had a random reboot after almost 2 days.

Going back to Openwrt, will try next ddwrt version when it comes out.
MrDoh
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 04 Dec 2012
Posts: 650

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
LookingForMyMojo wrote:
Flashed on my WRT1900ACv2 successfully. Was running well.
Just had a random reboot after almost 2 days.

Going back to Openwrt, will try next ddwrt version when it comes out.


Wondering what peak CPU temperatures that you see on the v2? No fan, so no protection if the temperature should get high enough to be a problem. Just a thought...
jsebean
DD-WRT User


Joined: 01 Dec 2015
Posts: 183
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
MrDoh wrote:
LookingForMyMojo wrote:
Flashed on my WRT1900ACv2 successfully. Was running well.
Just had a random reboot after almost 2 days.

Going back to Openwrt, will try next ddwrt version when it comes out.


Wondering what peak CPU temperatures that you see on the v2? No fan, so no protection if the temperature should get high enough to be a problem. Just a thought...

I have a v2 and it hovers between 75-80*C, which, for this router is perfectly fine. See this BS post from a while back... odds are the router is not overheating

_________________
Want to get ahold of me? Contact me via one of the links here: http://jseb.ca/ or join our discord at http://discord.teamecmb.com/
---
Current Router Setup:
Linksys WRT1900AC version 2 running DD-WRT v3.0-r29020M kongmv (02/04/16)
LookingForMyMojo
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 29 Aug 2014
Posts: 693

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
jsebean wrote:
MrDoh wrote:
LookingForMyMojo wrote:
Flashed on my WRT1900ACv2 successfully. Was running well.
Just had a random reboot after almost 2 days.

Going back to Openwrt, will try next ddwrt version when it comes out.


Wondering what peak CPU temperatures that you see on the v2? No fan, so no protection if the temperature should get high enough to be a problem. Just a thought...

I have a v2 and it hovers between 75-80*C, which, for this router is perfectly fine. See this BS post from a while back... odds are the router is not overheating


I never saw it get above 76(extreme traffic).
Usually was running between 71-74.
jsebean
DD-WRT User


Joined: 01 Dec 2015
Posts: 183
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
LookingForMyMojo wrote:


I never saw it get above 76(extreme traffic).
Usually was running between 71-74.


_________________
Want to get ahold of me? Contact me via one of the links here: http://jseb.ca/ or join our discord at http://discord.teamecmb.com/
---
Current Router Setup:
Linksys WRT1900AC version 2 running DD-WRT v3.0-r29020M kongmv (02/04/16)
LookingForMyMojo
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 29 Aug 2014
Posts: 693

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
jsebean wrote:
LookingForMyMojo wrote:


I never saw it get above 76(extreme traffic).
Usually was running between 71-74.



I'm running mine in an unheated basement just west of Toronto.....needless to say that is quite cool......lol...
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 17 Feb 2010
Posts: 570
Location: Yorkshire (GOC)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 14:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
LookingForMyMojo wrote:
jsebean wrote:
LookingForMyMojo wrote:


I never saw it get above 76(extreme traffic).
Usually was running between 71-74.



I'm running mine in an unheated basement just west of Toronto.....needless to say that is quite cool......lol...


Hmmmm.... 80.8 deg C does not sound like a healthy CPU temp to me :-O
jsebean
DD-WRT User


Joined: 01 Dec 2015
Posts: 183
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yemble wrote:
Hmmmm.... 80.8 deg C does not sound like a healthy CPU temp to me :-O

Like I said... see this post. Nothing unhealthy about it, if it were to start approaching 90-100 while others don't then I'd start questioning it.

This isn't a PC CPU, it's passively cooled since there's no fan on the v2. Not to mention we live in a small wood heated house and it hasn't exactly been "cool" the last few days. When ambient room temperature is a little cooler it will stay around the 70s.
LookingForMyMojo wrote:
jsebean wrote:
LookingForMyMojo wrote:


I never saw it get above 76(extreme traffic).
Usually was running between 71-74.



I'm running mine in an unheated basement just west of Toronto.....needless to say that is quite cool......lol...

Mine is upstairs. Not to mention we've had a fire bigger than needed the last few days despite it being up to 12*c in Nova Scotia Wink

I hear they got quite a bit of snow in Ontario the other day... especially in Ottawa. Meanwhile we don't have a single flake... green grass lol

_________________
Want to get ahold of me? Contact me via one of the links here: http://jseb.ca/ or join our discord at http://discord.teamecmb.com/
---
Current Router Setup:
Linksys WRT1900AC version 2 running DD-WRT v3.0-r29020M kongmv (02/04/16)


Last edited by jsebean on Thu Feb 18, 2016 15:43; edited 1 time in total
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum