FTP on a Custom Port - Port Forwarded but Not Working?

own3mall
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:41    Post subject: FTP on a Custom Port - Port Forwarded but Not Working? Reply with quote
Hi Guys,

Does DD-WRT block FTP connections on a port other than 21? I want to run my FTP service on a custom port, but for some reason, when I do, I can only connect to the FTP server from a LAN connection. I cannot connect to it from the outside.

The custom FTP port is forwarded, and I've verified that the ports are open via a scanner that checked my public IP address.

Is there an iptables rule or something else that I need to adjust to get this to work? Is this even possible with DD-WRT? I'm running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (03/27/14) std on my TrendNet TEW-812DRU router.

Please let me know.
Sponsor
Mile-Lile
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
It is hard to tell because you are on 2 years old build. ProFTPd was updated recently so I suggest you to try newer build...
own3mall
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mile-Lile wrote:
It is hard to tell because you are on 2 years old build. ProFTPd was updated recently so I suggest you to try newer build...

Sorry, I should have clarified. I'm not talking about the FTP service on the router itself that DD-WRT provides.

I'm trying to run a FTP server on a machine connected to the local LAN. I port forwarded the custom port for that machine on the LAN, but for some reason, if I change the port to something other than 21, remote connections to the FTP server no longer work. It's like the firewall or something in DD-WRT is preventing the connection from even taking place.

For example, I want to run the FTP server on port 10001. I port-forwarded port 10000-10001. I can't connect from the outside. Remote connections are refused, yet connections from LAN work fine. Port 20 and 21 are also forwarded, and when I reset it to use port 21, everything works properly.

Any idea?

I can't update to the latest DD-WRT on my router because it just constantly reboots with the latest version. Almost considered the router to be bricked before I luckily got it to downgrade back to this version.
own3mall
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 0:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, I evidently fail at using DD-WRT. You have to use the right tab to port forward a range.

I was trying to port forward the passive FTP port range under the "Port Forwarding" tab like this:

You have to forward a range under the "Port Range Forwarding" tab like so:

Yay, I get it now Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: