Optware USB need to always be plugged in?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions
jasewolf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:19    Post subject: Optware USB need to always be plugged in? Reply with quote
Hi, I just installed DD-WRT (Kong Mod) on my Netgear R9000. All working fine except understanding how to setup Entware so I can add XFS fs support for USB NAS, and possibly also to setup a Sane server for our USB scanner.

However, that'll take the two usb ports, one which will be unavailable if I need to keep the Optware USB drive into one to continue making use of the added packages to do things.

Is the Optware USB for you to have in all the time or is it just needed when installing/uninstalling packages?
Sponsor
jasewolf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I assume that Optware is someting that must be running all the time for stuff to work. And although the stock Netgear software seems to not support usb hubs, from this post I am understanding that usb hubs work fine with DD-WRT?

If this is the case, am I able to do this:

Keep the USB HDD in one port, then have the Optware USB stick in the USB hub with my scanner and whatever else?
jasewolf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok I've got an understanding more now with Entware, and to save myself a lot of hassle considering I am wanting to use an XFS filesystem, using Voxel's firmware so I get the best of both worlds. Open source customisation you don't get with stock, along with the built in XFS support you have with ReadyShare.

USB hubs do seem to work perfectly fine with ReadyShare so I don't know where that was coming from people saying on the netgear forums that it doesn't.
Whether that's something Voxel added I'm not sure. But at least it works!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: