TPLink Now has US Copy of their Web Site with BAD Firmware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Jamr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:51    Post subject: TPLink Now has US Copy of their Web Site with BAD Firmware Reply with quote
I am sure you guys know about this but I thought I would tell of my experience with TP-Link and their limitations they now put on their firmware.

I have a TL-WDR3600 I have been having WIFI issues with lately. I had DDWRT on it for many months and until recently , it had been working great. I feared it may have been a hardware issue so I wanted to put the stock firmware on it until I could diagnose the issue and if need be since it was still under warranty, send it back for replacement.
I reverted back to stock with no issues.
This is when my adventure started.

I wanted to put the latest version of the stock firmware on it so I did a search for "TP-Link WDR3600 firmware" to get the latest stock firmware for it.
This took me to the universal page of their site for my router.
http://www.tp-link.com/en/download/TL-WDR3600_V1.html
So I downloaded the firmware there and flashed it.
After some speed tests via WIFI, the router seemed to be slow so I called their support to figure out why. She asked me what version of the firmware was on the unit and I told her is was build 150158. She asked me if I was from the US, I answered yes, She said I should flash the US version located here and it should fix my problems with the speed.
http://www.tp-link.us/download/TL-WDR3600_V1.html#Firmware (DO NOT USE THIS FIRMWARE)
Same site, different firmware and version.
I asked what the difference was. She said id had enhancements and was mandated by the FCC. Immediately red flags started going off in my head.
I figured I was going to dump it with DDWRT anyway so I installed it. BIG MISTAKE!

I then tested the router over WIFI and even called tech support to find out what the issue was. The agent instructed me to make some changes and it seemed to work fine after that. So I figured I would load DDWRT back on it to see if the issue was truly fixed.
I then tried to flash with the stock DDWRT bin and I was promptly presented with an 18005 ERROR. I then tried to go back to the EN version found in the first link. Same error. I then called them and they said yes they have been instruct by the FCC to lock down their routers.
I had to beg to get them to email me a version of the firmware to unlock my router. They did email it to me and I was able unlock it and thus install DDWRT back on my router.
I now have it working again with DDWRT and it seems to be working better. I am not sure what the original problem was.

I will attach a copy of this unlocking firmware for anyone who is in a similar situation. Please remember it is only for a TL-WDR3600 V1.

Please be aware TP-Link now has a duplicate web site with US Locked versions of their firmware for certain devices. I do not know if all of their devices are like this. You can tell by comparing the two links. After the "www.tp-link.com", it will say "us" or "en". The us site has the locked firmware on it.
I hope this helps someone else save some time.

Jamr
http://www.007systems.com/
Sponsor
Doppel-D
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for your detailed information!
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
their agents are wrong, theres no demand to "lock down their routers" as we all thought, the fcc only wants to "stop unauthorized limitation overrides" with 3rd party firmwares, that should, iirc, come into effect some time in june 2016, part of why i got my routers now instead of later..

in ENGLISH: probably more eeprom limits on routers made near &/or after june 2016 cause fcc is paranoid..eeprom limits effect max tx power, & rarely, channel selection

depending on the firmware ur tplink wdrXXXX is running when u get it, the us versions mean those routers BOUGHT/SHIPPED from united states, need us fw. IL = isreal, regular no name fw = worldwide.

(LOM will probably jump in here & correct me if im wrong)

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r44863 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r44863 std
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r44863 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r44863 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r44583 std

If you use DSLReports please enable hi-res bufferbloat.

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway..
GreyDoc
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
they only changed the header of the firmware file, actually the country code bit, to allow to flash back from US to international version. several people on this forum know how to do that, it's not such a big deal. you could have asked for help here instead of going through hoops with tp-link 'representatives' who need to be begged.

US version has limits on the permitted channels for the 2.4 ghz band, 1 to 11. the international version permits also channels 12 and 13. US version may also have other limits imposed, such as max tx power etc.
mwbuss8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
GreyDoc wrote:
they only changed the header of the firmware file, actually the country code bit, to allow to flash back from US to international version. several people on this forum know how to do that, it's not such a big deal. you could have asked for help here instead of going through hoops with tp-link 'representatives' who need to be begged.

US version has limits on the permitted channels for the 2.4 ghz band, 1 to 11. the international version permits also channels 12 and 13. US version may also have other limits imposed, such as max tx power etc.

It does seem they do it with headers (at least on some), but I know with the c7 there have been reports of being unable to flash off of recent US builds without some sort of firmware modification. That is why the c7 ftp folder contains US and IL versions along with the main one. It appears as if the same may be coming for other models as well.
B@R
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
With "national" FW you can't switch to other country your wireless settings. It not so simple fight with this because you can't flash "international" version on locked router. I got this trouble with my local version. The DD-WRT gurus helps with the problem and now for Archer C7 v2.0 (and some others) we have 3 versions: international, US and IL versions.
yazyazoo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks
mltsy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:47    Post subject: Thank you!! Reply with quote
This is amazing.

NOTE (for anybody who has the same issue): You can't see or download the file attached to the original post without registering an account and signing into the forum.

(Also, remember the default IP address will change from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1)
Hackintosh
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
I noticed their site did a geo-redirect (could tell I was from America and redirected me to America's site). Rolling Eyes

Using a VPN I got around that and visited Canada's site. Wink

Here is a direct down from Canada's website. Should support the same American hardware but without the dumb lock.

Code:
http://static.tp-link.com/res/down/soft/TL-WDR3600_V1_150518.zip
b1r6
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 14:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just wanted to to say thanks Jamr - this worked perfectly for my WDR3600's!
ramblin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Got some smart people here. Thanks for the good info. I`m a TP fan and plan to get some newer ones soon.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
ramblin wrote:
Got some smart people here. Thanks for the good info. I`m a TP fan and plan to get some newer ones soon.

i wouldn't waste a time with TP-Link...!
just get Netgear R6400 or R7000, R7800 noting better so far, i speak compatibility/price/performance Smile
TP-link models are good for WAP/Switch mode or just basic Internet use...
Shame those still have single core CPU, where their top dual core models are buggy as a hell...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 ---DD-WRT 44715 BS AP,NAT,AP Isolation,Firewall,Local DNS,Forced DNS,DoT,VPN,VLAN
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 ---DD-WRT 44772 BS AP,NAT,AD Block,Firewall,Local DNS,Forced DNS,DoT,VPN,VLAN
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 ---Gargoyle OS 1.12.0 AP,NAT,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm/IPQ8065
Netgear R7800 -----DD-WRT 44849 BS AP,NAT,AD-Block,AP&Net Isolation,VLAN's,Firewall,Local DNS,DoT
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 -----DD-WRT 44849 BS AP,Wi-Fi OFF,NAT,AD-Block,Firewall,Local DNS,Forced DNS,DoT,VPN
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stubby for DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: